Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Five-0 is offline Super Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator

92 Year Old Woman during drug raid

Atlanta police shoot woman, 92, dead
    Nov. 22, 2006. 11:05 AM

ATLANTA (AP) — The niece of a 92-year-old woman shot to death by police said her aunt likely had reason to shoot three narcotics investigators as they stormed her house.

Police insisted the officers did everything right before entering the home Tuesday evening, despite suggestions from the woman’s neighbors and relatives that it was a case of mistaken identity.

The woman, Kathryn Johnston, was the only resident in the house at the time and had lived there for about 17 years, Assistant Chief Alan Dreher said. The officers had a legal warrant, “knocked and announced” before they forced open the door and were justified in shooting once fired upon, he said.

Sarah Dozier, the niece, told WAGA-TV that there were never drugs at the house.

“My aunt was in good health. I’m sure she panicked when they kicked that door down,” Dozier said. “There was no reason they had to go in there and shoot her down like a dog.’’

As the plainclothes Atlanta police officers approached the house about 7 p.m., a woman inside started shooting, striking each of them, said Officer Joe Cobb, a police spokesman.

One was hit in the arm, another in a thigh and the third in a shoulder. The officers were taken to a hospital for treatment, and all three were conscious and alert, police said.

Rev. Markel Hutchins, a civil rights leader, said Johnston’s family deserves an apology.

“Of the police brutality cases we’ve had, this is the most egregious because of the woman’s age,” Hutchins said.

Hutchins said he would try to meet with Atlanta Police Chief Richard Pennington and would also meet with lawyers.

______________________________ ___________________________

I've just got to know if any drugs were found in the house.

Meanwhile, fishing in Russia:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkzV5AIK8iM
    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it." -- Frederic Bastiat

"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter." Ernest Hemingway

The opinions given in my signatures & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Five-0" on Officerresource.com

Virginian is offline Major
    Supporting Member Lvl 2
    “Of the police brutality cases we’ve had, this is the most egregious because of the woman’s age”

Yeah, those cops just got what they deserved I guess... moron.

Ducky is online now Enforcer General
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    They knocked and announced, she had time to get her gun and shoot the police. Sounds like the police were defending themselves from a lethal force.

And she may have been an antique, but her weapon wasn't.

Five-O, she's 92. Of COURSE she had drugs. Wether or not they were prescribed for her though, that's the question.
    \\
    ` ` ` ` < ` )___/\
    `` ` ` ` (3--(____)
    "...but to forget your duck, of course, means you're really screwed." - Gary Larson
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtN1YnoL46Q

BEK
    BEK is offline Lieutenant
    Verified LEO
    “My aunt was in good health. I’m sure she panicked when they kicked that door down,” Dozier said. “There was no reason they had to go in there and shoot her down like a dog.’’
    ok may be true lets read on

As the plainclothes Atlanta police officers approached the house about 7 p.m., a woman inside started shooting, striking each of them, said Officer Joe Cobb, a police spokesman.
    so they werent in the house yet just approaching...hmmm sounds fishy like that first statement about her panicing may be false

One was hit in the arm, another in a thigh and the third in a shoulder. The officers were taken to a hospital for treatment, and all three were conscious and alert, police said.

Rev. Markel Hutchins, a civil rights leader, said Johnston’s family deserves an apology.
    what about the officers she shot, they dont deserve an apology

“Of the police brutality cases we’ve had, this is the most egregious because of the woman’s age,” Hutchins said.
    BECAUSE OF THE WOMANS AGE. give me a break she shot cops for doing their job

I've just got to know if any drugs were found in the house.
    ME TOO

it seems to me that they are double talking here. Must be liberal democrats at the helm. Come on NAACP throw in the racist cop angle...

10-42Adam is offline Major
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    So she shot three cops, the cops shoot her dead with return fire and it's police brutality?! Are you kidding me?! Wow...
    Calm Like A Bomb...

A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity. An optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty.
    -Winston Churchill

JoeBob is offline Dog boy
    Welcome to the "ATL" , boys...I'm really surprised the race card hasnt been played yet. I am sure that is coming next.

And where is the great "Reverend" Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton when they are needed the most?

Norm357 is offline Corporal
    Supporting Member Lvl 2
    Now that all the nonsense comments are out of the way lets talk a little facts.

The area where that old lady lived has suffered a rash of home invasions where the crooks were dressed like cops or deputies. Something like six or eight in the last couple of weeks. I might have done the same thing she did.

Nobody knows if any narcotics were found yet. The cops have not said either way.

The "activist" in the above article needs to keeep his trap shut till all the facts are known.

Its a sad day for all involved. Three cops shot, and an old lady dead. The City is going to end up taking a shot in the ass over this.
    dlefdal said:
    Ummmm, what if I don't like thumbs in my butt?

Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Suspected narcotics have now been found and are being tested. Amounts and types of narcotics are unknown at this time. Just heard this off of an Atlanta radio station streaming on the net. Something tells me that this is about to get real interesting.

"When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it." -- Frederic Bastiat

"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter." Ernest Hemingway

The opinions given in my signatures & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Five-0" on Officerresource.com

Norm357 is offline Corporal
    Supporting Member Lvl 2
    wsbtv.com is reporting:

Three Atlanta police officers were shot and wounded and an elderly woman killed at a house in northwest Atlanta Tuesday night.

The woman, identified by relatives as 92-year old Kathryn Johnston, opened fire on the officers from the narcotics division at a house at 933 Neal Street, according to officials.

Atlanta Police Asst. Chief Alan Dreher said at a news conference Wednesday that an undercover officer made a drug purchase at Johnston’s address late Tuesday afternoon from a male suspect. Officers were able to obtain a search warrant after that.

Asst. Chief Dreher said as they were executing the search warrant, the officers announced themselves and then forced open the door. Officials say the warrant was a “No Knock” warrant – meaning that the officers did not knock before forcing open the door, but they did announce themselves.

Dreher said as soon as the officers forced open the door, Johnston shot at the officers and the officers returned fire to protect themselves. One officer was shot 3 times – once in the leg, on the side of the face and once in his bulletproof vest. One officer was hit in the leg and another hit in their arm. All officers are on paid administrative leave pending an investigation – as is common.

Officials say they have not made any arrests in the case and they have not located the male suspect. Dreher said suspected narcotics were recovered from the home but they are awaiting lab results to confirm the items are drugs.

Dreher said a marked patrol vehicle was parked in front of the residence and the word “Police” was written across the front and back of the narcotics team’s vests. He also said only a matter of minutes passed between when officers arrived on the scene and when they forced open the door.

Asst. Chief Dreher referred to the incident as a, “tragic and unfortunate incident.”

The woman's niece, Sarah Dozier, says that she bought her aunt a gun to protect herself and that her aunt had a permit for the gun. Relatives believe Johnston was frightened by the officers and opened fire.

Her relatives say Johnston had lived in the house for about 17 years.

"They kicked her door down talking about drugs, there's no drugs in that house. And they realize now, they've got the wrong house," Dozier said. "I'm mad as hell." Officials say they had the correct house and that the warrant they had was legal.

She says the officers "shot her down like a dog."

Police say the investigation is continuing.
    dlefdal said:
    Ummmm, what if I don't like thumbs in my butt?

keith720 is offline Finely Aged
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Sorry, but I feel no sympathy for anyone that shoots 3 cops. 92 or 12, she got what she had coming. The officers had a valid warrant and announced themselves. She shot them BEFORE they entered. I'd say it's a good shoot.
    For the morning will come. Brightly will it shine on the brave and true, kindly upon all who suffer for the cause, glorious upon the tombs of heroes. Thus will shine the dawn.

Winston Churchill

CountyFourteen is offline Sergeant
    Verified LEO
    "As the plainclothes Atlanta police officers approached the house about 7 p.m., a woman inside started shooting, striking each of them, said Officer Joe Cobb, a police spokesman."

I don't care if she was 192 years old......shoot at me......and eat lead.....
    Any Post I make is my opinion only!
    I do not have the authority or the permission to post for my Sheriff's Office.

TheOldRhino is offline Corporal
    This is my reply to the situation that I posted on a local forum. If it seems a little hostile, I apologize, it was posted in response to someone who thought the house was raided based on a "bad tip".
    ______________________________ ___________

Let's get a few things straight:

First, judges don't hand out search warrants like Halloween candy. If they had a warrant for that house then that means they had suffcient probable cause to search the house.

Second, as of this morning news report- APD claims it did have the right house. This wasn't a case of mistaken identity.

Third, I don't care how old you are. You shoot at police, we shoot back.

Most people that know my position on the so-called "War on Drugs" and what a crock it is, but I find the niece of the lady that was killed highly suspect.

The niece bought this lady the house (according to her), bought this lady a gun and a permit to carry it. Why would she do these things for her aunt? Not mother, not father, not grandmother, her aunt? When, at 92, she should at the very least be in a retirement community?

I'm not making any accusations, but something about the way this whole thing went down leaves more questions than answers.
    The virtue of spirit has no need for thanks or approval. Only the certain conviction that what has been done is right. -Jor El, as played by Marlon Brando

bayern is offline Officer First Class
    Verified LEO

Lil Ole Lady

Quote Originally Posted by JoeBob View Post
    Welcome to the "ATL" , boys...I'm really surprised the race card hasnt been played yet. I am sure that is coming next.

And where is the great "Reverend" Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton when they are needed the most?
    -----------------------------------------------------------------

Just wait, all the vultures will be flocking to Atlanta along with the Sharks (attorneys) for a piece of the action. However, you can bet your bottom $$$$ that not one of these SAP SUCKING S.O.B'S will even ask about the officers. Another thing, don't be supprised if the Department lets them hang out to dry. The only nice thing about Atlanta is that it's a 3 hour drive from me.

gozling is offline the gene pool could use a little chlorine
    there are more and more elderly people involved in selling drugs since they cant support themselves with social security...

its not that odd really... shocking yeah ok.. but ive seen so many elderly folks down here with more drugs than the drug dealers on the streets sometimes...

i dont see a halo over the daughter....

really sad the whole thing

i agree with oh horny one rhino in alot of what he said.
    http://www.allpoetry.com/Grunts%20Girl

We dallied under
    Vine maples and sapling alders
    Searched for lady slippers
    But instead
    Found blackberry riots and
    Desiccated branches

An old skid road
    Brought ghost ferns and
    Hollows filled with
    Skunk cabbage
    While waves wrapped
    Intricate lacings of weeds
    'Round mule spinners

His cyanotic eyes
    Were hard enough to make
    The sun turn tail and
    Tender enough to attract me
    To his world of illusion

Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhino View Post
    This is my reply to the situation that I posted on a local forum. If it seems a little hostile, I apologize, it was posted in response to someone who thought the house was raided based on a "bad tip".
    ______________________________ ___________

Let's get a few things straight:

First, judges don't hand out search warrants like Halloween candy. If they had a warrant for that house then that means they had suffcient probable cause to search the house.

Second, as of this morning news report- APD claims it did have the right house. This wasn't a case of mistaken identity.

Third, I don't care how old you are. You shoot at police, we shoot back.

Most people that know my position on the so-called "War on Drugs" and what a crock it is, but I find the niece of the lady that was killed highly suspect.

The niece bought this lady the house (according to her), bought this lady a gun and a permit to carry it. Why would she do these things for her aunt? Not mother, not father, not grandmother, her aunt? When, at 92, she should at the very least be in a retirement community?

I'm not making any accusations, but something about the way this whole thing went down leaves more questions than answers.
    Narcotics had been purchased from the house using a controlled buy to help establish probable cause for the warrant. The niece and the other suspect members of the family are what I referring to as what will make this situation interesting. Once they find evidence of this being a "family" drug store, then the race card will be played.

Retmilleo909 is offline Banned
    Age is no factor as a 92 year old woman can sell drugs as well as a 22 year old pusher and they can pull a trigger the same as a member of the SWAT team and your hurt as bad and just as dead when they shoot you, as if a teenager had pulled the job.

Jackalope is offline Yell O
    First off, let me say that it sounds like the officers did everything right. Everyone knows that police will shoot back when they are faced with deadly force, which these officers clearly were. And age and gender are completely irrelevant. The officers were defending their own lives.

However, I really question the use of three plain-clothes officers in serving a no-knock warrant. If three dudes tried to force their way in to my house yelling "police" but not wearing any kind of uniform, I'd be inclined to shoot them as well.

Even if it's proven that there were narcotics being sold out of the house, it's entirely plausible that a younger relative was selling out of the house without the lady's knowledge. Old ladies tend to be pretty trusting souls, especially of their own family. So if we give her the benefit of every doubt, we could have had a situation where a law-abiding elderly lady living in a dangersome neighborhood heard three men forcing their way into her house. It could very well be that both sides were justified in shooting.

I would hope that APD reviews their procedure for serving warrants. There's a chance, however slight, that this could have been avoided by using uniformed officers, in greater numbers.
    "I'm not a coward,
    I've just never been tested
    I'd like to think that if I was,
    I would pass"
    ~Mighty Mighty Bosstones~

Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    The Assistant Chief said today in a news conference that there was a marked unit in front of the house with a uniformed officer. The plain clothes officers were wearing ouside the shirt vests with Police on them. While they did not knock, they did announce their identity as Police Officers once the door was opened.

Piggybank Cop is offline Nobody important.
    "She says the officers "shot her down like a dog."

Don't shoot dogs.
    We are the thin blue line
    between you
    and all the money in the world.

And no you can't have any.

Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by 1sgkelly View Post
    "She says the officers "shot her down like a dog."

Don't shoot dogs.
    Stirring the pudd'n are you?

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread Information