Welcome to the APBWeb.
    TheeBadOne is offline Why so serious?
    Verified LEO

Blame the fleeing driver, not police

Blame the fleeing driver, not police

Letters to the editor

I was saddened by the story about the three young men killed when their vehicle was hit by a driver running from the police ("Moms fault cops in crash," Nov. 12).

I feel for the mother and aunt of these young men, but I can't agree with their anger being directed to the police rather than the criminal running from the police.

There is always a risk in police chases, but would the mother and aunt prefer the bad guys are not chased and apprehended? I cannot imagine losing a child, particularly in such a violent manner, but I also could not blame the police for doing their job.

Patrick Kent
    Clinton Township

A simple solution

After reading the article about the needless death of three young men, I wonder why the automobile companies can't install a device similar to a LoJack. If they can make a car parallel park itself, then why can't they design something to stop the needless deaths from police chases? The cars now even have black boxes that can tell where the car has been and how fast it was going. This just seems like a simple solution to a big problem.

Robert Denstedt
    Canton

Driver to blame

Why is it that the police are always held accountable for what the chased driver has caused? Why didn't the chased driver stop? Families are grieving; they want to blame someone. Well, blame the man driving the car being chased. If he would have stopped, no one would have been killed.

What if it were your car stolen? What if it were your store robbed? What if it were your relative or friend assaulted? Do you want the perpetrator caught?

If it were one of mine killed in a chase, I would blame the person who caused it -- the driver of the chased vehicle. That person could have prevented it.

Sabrina Stramecki
    Southgate

Police do thankless job

I read sensationalism in the headline of the Nov. 11 freep.com article, "Kin fault police in crash." Everyone can certainly feel the sadness and grief over the deaths of three innocent young men, but let's not forget who is to blame for their deaths -- Rodney Goss, and not the police. This headline cast an unfair shadow on the wrong people.

This case is yet another example of Michigan's Department of Corrections failing the citizens of this state by releasing parolees like Goss, who absconded on his parole, only to go out and kill innocent people. To suggest that anyone other than the fleeing felon is responsible for these deaths is irresponsible.

Ninety-nine percent of police officers are hardworking, underpaid people who perform a vital yet thankless job in our community and deserve a more responsible support network from our citizens and media outlets.

Chris Truel
    Brownstown Township

Down the road to lawlessness?

Why are the police at fault? What am I missing here? The man was running from the police who, sworn to protect and defend, attempted to stop him and probably arrest him. He chose to run. He exceeded speed limits. He ran the red light. He hit and killed those three young men. The police backed off the chase. They were more than a quarter mile from the scene of the accident.

You cannot have it both ways, folks. You either want the laws of the land enforced and the police to do their job or we can all throw up our hands. Lawless societies flourish. Look at Iraq.

Ella Norman
    Detroit

Heavy penalty to fight crime

Maybe if they start charging the runners with first-degree murder or attempted first-degree murder when they lead police on a chase, it will make them think twice.

We can't just call off the chases, then everyone would run.

Lori Gabbert
    Westland

link
    "When I'm driving along and I see a sign that says, CAUTION: SMALL CHILDREN AHEAD,
    I slow down, and then it occurs to me, I'm not afraid of small children"!

Dinosaur32 is offline Long In The Tooth
    New York State just added a section to the Penal Law making it a crime to flee the Police, especially in a vehicle. It would be a separate charge from the underlying one. Not a perfect law, but at least it is a start.

Standard Dave is offline Constable
    Quote Originally Posted by Dinosaur32 View Post
    New York State just added a section to the Penal Law making it a crime to flee the Police, especially in a vehicle. It would be a separate charge from the underlying one. Not a perfect law, but at least it is a start.
    Do you know if that will still apply if no other charges are made?

Dinosaur32 is offline Long In The Tooth
    It is a Class A Misdemeanor if you fail to stop once the pursuing officer activates his lights and siren and you do not stop and if you you hit 25 over the speed limit. Max is one year in jail. If an officer or third person is injured it becomes an E Felony, max 4 years. If an officer or third person dies it is a D Felony, max 7 years. Totally separate from any other charge. As I said, not perfect, but a start.

Deputy2400 is offline Professional Rights Advisor
    I hate it when Moms say...."Johnny" would be a good kid if the cops would just leave him alone! For some reason this statement makes me angry!
    If you run from me...you'll just go to jail tired!

Star Man is offline Guns only have two enemies; rust and politicians
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Dinosaur32 View Post
    It is a Class A Misdemeanor if you fail to stop once the pursuing officer activates his lights and siren and you do not stop and if you you hit 25 over the speed limit. Max is one year in jail. If an officer or third person is injured it becomes an E Felony, max 4 years. If an officer or third person dies it is a D Felony, max 7 years. Totally separate from any other charge. As I said, not perfect, but a start.

Geez, here it's Misdemeanor (also called resisting arrest without violence) to run on foot. It's a Felony to run in a car, and ups the possible penalty severely if they get high speeds involving "hazardous or careless" driving.

I had a squad partner even gig a guy with felony flee and elude for trying to get away on a bike since by our state statutes a bike is a "vehicle" beyond regular foot transportation. The charge stuck.

Ducky is offline Enforcer General
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Quote Originally Posted by Deputy2400 View Post
    I hate it when Moms say...."Johnny" would be a good kid if the cops would just leave him alone! For some reason this statement makes me angry!
    It makes you angry because you know damn well that the cops don't go after people without a REALLY good reason. If Little Johnny had kept his nose clean and not been out dealing, theiving, using, abusing, etc., then he wouldn't be where he is. No one made him that way except himself, but the cops get the blame because they were the ones who kept catching him. It's like blaming the mortician for someone's death, but it happens anyhow.
    \\
    ` ` ` ` < ` )___/\
    `` ` ` ` (3--(____)
    "...but to forget your duck, of course, means you're really screwed." - Gary Larson
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtN1YnoL46Q

AITG is offline Master Officer
    Verified LEO
    It's interesting to read so many letters against the lawsuit when it is obviously in the metro Detroit area. It makes me feel better about the citizens' use of common sense.

The real problem is litigation. The deceased probably has no assets, which makes it pointless to sue him. OTOH, the jurisdiction involved ... $$$$
    If I wanted people to like me I'd be a fireman.

Thread Information