Welcome to the APBWeb.
    tapout is offline keepin it gangsta'
    Verified LEO

balto city off duty shooting

OFF-DUTY OFFICER SHOOTS MEN AFTER BEING ATTACKED ...
    Monday November 27th 2006 6:45 AM

Luke Broadwater, The Examiner
    Nov 27, 2006 3:00 AM (6 hrs ago)

BALTIMORE - An off-duty Baltimore police officer was walking home Saturday morning when he became the victim of an attack — forcing him to shoot two suspects to save his own life, police said.

Four suspects approached the officer and attempted to rob him at about 3:40 a.m. at the intersection of Battery Avenue and Gittings Street in the Riverside neighborhood of South Baltimore, said Officer Troy Harris, an agency spokesman.

One of the robbers placed a knife at the officer’s neck, but the officer freed himself from the man’s hold. Then the officer pulled his gun from his holster, Harris said.

“The officer fired several shots at the suspect as the suspect came toward the officer with his knife,” Harris said.

The man with the knife was shot, and the three other robbers ran from the scene, police said.

One of the men fleeing the scene jumped into a nearby van and attempted to run over the officer, Harris said.

The officer then fired a shot striking the suspect in the head, according to police.

Police refused to release the names of the officer and the suspects.

Both suspects were taken to the University of Maryland Shock Trauma Center, where the man who was shot while holding the knife is listed in critical condition, Harris said.

The man driving the van was grazed in the head by the bullet and is listed in good condition, Harris said.

The officer, who was not injured, has been placed on administrative leave, police said.

It is standard procedure for the Baltimore City Police Department to place officers on administrative leave after a police-involved shooting.

lbroadwater@baltimoreexaminer. com

Baltimore Examiner
    ~~~~~~~~~~
    ... Good firearms discipline! ...

i usually dont carry off duty...stories like this make me think twice sometimes. the city's a mess
    in the warriors code there's no surrender, though his body says stop, his spirit cries...NEVER. deep in our souls, a quiet ember, knows its you against you, its the paradox that drives us all. its a battle of wills, in the heat of attack, its the passion that kills, and victory is yours alone.

the posts and opinions stated by me do not in any way reflect the values, beliefs, or views of my department. they are simply opinions and/or observations which have been developed through my personal experiences. hell, most of the stories probably arent even true...wink wink

Star Man is offline Guns only have two enemies; rust and politicians
    Verified LEO
    Nice, score one for the good guys on this one. Another reason to carry off duty.

HardNoseBull is offline HardNoseBull
    I'm just glad it worked out for us this time, sounds like the officer is quite a proficient marksmen.
    Giggity giggity Goo!

Glen Quagmire,Family Guy, Pick any Episode

Thread Information