Welcome to the APBWeb.
    Buttercup is offline Thrives in sunshine
    Supporting Member Lvl 1

Big Ben buys his hometown a new K9

Big Ben buys his hometown a new K9

Gift announced at memorial service for slain police dog

Friday, December 01, 2006
    By Gerry Dulac, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Ben Roethlisberger could not rescue the Steelers Sunday afternoon in Baltimore. But the Super Bowl-winning quarterback has come to the aid of the police department in his hometown of Findlay, Ohio.

Through his newly established foundation, Mr. Roethlisberger will fund the purchase of a new police dog and protective K9 vest for the Findlay Police Department to replace its former drug-sniffing canine, Flip, who was shot and killed Nov. 18.

The grant is the first issued through the Ben Roethlisberger Foundation at The Giving Back Fund, a national nonprofit organization that provides philanthropic management for athletes, celebrities and others.

"When I received the call that someone wanted to buy us a new dog, I knew it was Ben," Findlay Police Chief Bill Spraw said yesterday. "It was very, very nice of him."

Chief Spraw said the cost of a new dog, fully trained to detect drugs and track suspects, is $8,900. He said the vest probably costs about $500.

The money will be used to replace Flip, the only dog in the Findlay Police Department. Flip, a 5-year-old Belgian Malinois, was shot and killed while off-duty when he wandered into a neighbor's yard.

The dog lived with his handler, Officer Bryon Deeter. The Hancock County sheriff's office is investigating the shooting.

Flip was memorialized yesterday morning at Central Middle School in Findlay, where he was a frequent visitor.

Chief Spraw thanked Mr. Roethlisberger for his generosity and commended his parents, Ken and Brenda, who were among the crowd assembled for the memorial.

"Thank you for raising a great son," the chief said, as the audience rose to its feet and applauded.

The attachment the Deeter family and Findlay police had to Flip was evident during the nearly hourlong memorial service that included prayers for Flip by the police chaplain, tributes by fellow officers, a bugler playing taps and a bagpiper playing "Amazing Grace."

Students from the city's three middle schools and St. Michael the Archangel School also talked about how they enjoyed having Flip visit their school and lighted four candles to represent his four years on the police force.

A tearful Brian Woods, a former Fremont, Ohio, police officer who trained Officer Deeter and Flip, said the bond between a police dog and his handler is a tight one based on trust and respect.

"For those of you who are thinking, 'What's the big deal? This was just a dog,' I wish I could plug you into any one of these K9 officers here today," Mr. Woods said.

Findlay Officer Kurt Necker said Flip had earned the nicknames "Flip the wonder dog" and "Flip the super dog" because he was so proficient in sniffing out drugs and criminals. During his first year on the job, he located 40 pounds of cocaine in a hidden compartment of a car stopped by state troopers on Interstate 75.

"The only thing Flip was missing was a little red cape to wear because it almost seemed like there wasn't anything he couldn't do," added Deputy Ron Digby, a K9 handler with the Hancock County sheriff's office. "It almost got to the point where Flip could type Bryon's reports for him."

"My Dad instilled in me a love and respect for animals." Mr. Roethlisberger said in a statement. "This is a good way to combine that passion with a desire to support the police and fire departments, which deserve all the appropriate resources needed to protect our cities and neighborhoods, and allow these brave men and women to arrive home safely."

Chief Spraw said shrinking budgets have forced many police departments to rely on public contributions or fund-raisers to finance the cost of police dogs. In addition to the cost of the trained canine, there is the additional expense of handling, feeding and caring for the dog.

Because of that, the chief said his department wasn't even sure it could afford to buy another dog to replace Flip. Then Mr. Roethlisberger interceded.

"Some of the officers work out with him and one of the guys coached baseball with him, so we have always had a good relationship with him," Chief Spraw said. "He has always remained close to the people in Findlay."

Findlay police have been using a dog on loan to replace Flip. His name is Spike.

Chief Spraw was asked if the new dog will already have a name.

"Probably," he said. "But Ben would be nice."

10-42Adam is offline Major
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    Great story!
    Calm Like A Bomb...

A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity. An optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty.
    -Winston Churchill

armygrnt502 is offline Making my streets safer, one day at a time
    Verified LEO
    Being a big Steelers Fan, this makes me smile.

I wish more big money makers would do the same, it would be amazing how such a small effort would make a diff. in day to day life.

(Yes, I am aware that several sports figures, actors and other people that make huge salaries do help, but it seems that majority want to keep what they have and then demand more.)
    "Sometimes people need a little help. Sometimes people need to be forgiven. And sometimes they need to go to jail."

Willowdared is offline Bendy not Breaky
    Who's the egg-sucking dog that shot the K9?
    Molly Weasley makes Chuck Norris eat his vegetables.

Do not puff, shade, skew, tailor, firm up, stretch, massage,
    or otherwise distort statements of fact.
    FBI Special Agent Coleen Rowley

Ducky is offline Enforcer General
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Quote Originally Posted by PDawg View Post
    Who's the egg-sucking dog that shot the K9?
    That's what I was wondering, along with "I hope they realize the shit they're in now and I hope it's well publicised." A stray dog comes in your yard, and you're too scared to see if he's got ID on his collar, you call animal control unless it's trying to attack. You don't go all trigger happy. Asshole. His stupidity has caused more damage than he could possibly know.

While celebs and sports stars aren't any obligation to give back to the community, it's great when they do. Most of them wouldn't be where they are today without help from others when they were younger.
    \\
    ` ` ` ` < ` )___/\
    `` ` ` ` (3--(____)
    "...but to forget your duck, of course, means you're really screwed." - Gary Larson
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtN1YnoL46Q

Ducky is offline Enforcer General
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    earlier article from http://abclocal.go.com/wtvg/story?se...cal&id=4783995
    ----------------
    November 21, 2006 - FINDLAY, Ohio (AP) - Police officers in a northwest Ohio town are mourning the loss of their only police dog.

The five-year-old dog named Flip wandered away from its handler's home over the weekend and was shot and killed by a neighbor.

Now authorities are trying to decided if the shooter overreacted.

The man told authorities that the dog was not acting aggressively but he still feared for his son's safety.

Findlay Police Chief Bill Spraw says they're planning a memorial service for Flip.

The chief says Flip was like one of their own.

______________________________ _

Yeah, I'd say he overreacted.
    \\
    ` ` ` ` < ` )___/\
    `` ` ` ` (3--(____)
    "...but to forget your duck, of course, means you're really screwed." - Gary Larson
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtN1YnoL46Q

Star Man is offline Guns only have two enemies; rust and politicians
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by armygrnt502 View Post
    Being a big Steelers Fan, this makes me smile.

I wish more big money makers would do the same, it would be amazing how such a small effort would make a diff. in day to day life.

(Yes, I am aware that several sports figures, actors and other people that make huge salaries do help, but it seems that majority want to keep what they have and then demand more.)

I'm a Steelers fan too, and I am glad to see that in a round about way Ben has returned the fan attitude back to me (or LEO brotherhood) by doing what he did.

As far as the athletes wanting more just look at one prime example,, Michael Vick. Gets 13 million a year and flips the fans off when his 13mil performance SUCKS!

Hopefully the guy that shot the dog has some recorded anti-LEO history or statements, and it can be proven he shot the dog out of spite. In this state it's a felony to be cruel to animals and cause great bodily harm or death of the animal. Hopefully he gets some time to sit in jail and think about it....

Willowdared is offline Bendy not Breaky
    Ya know, we take calls all the time about dogs running loose, being aggressive, attacking other dogs - all on 911 too! We go, and so does Animal Control.

There is absolutely no excuse for what that guy did - especially when he said the dog was not aggressive!

I think the citizens of that town should file a class-action suit against him for the loss of a valuable resource.

And charge him with felony animal cruelty.

Last edited by Willowdared; 12-04-06 at 05:49 PM.
    Molly Weasley makes Chuck Norris eat his vegetables.

Do not puff, shade, skew, tailor, firm up, stretch, massage,
    or otherwise distort statements of fact.
    FBI Special Agent Coleen Rowley

E-man is offline No bird but dog and 3 cats
    Verified LEO
    Now if can buy some more WINS the next 4 games, NICE...
    Good job for Ben.
    A monday morning lunatic, disturbed from time to time. Temporary catatonic madman on occasion..

Lightning crashes a new mother cries, her placenta falls to the floor. The angel opens her eyes,the confusion sets in before the doctor can even close the door..
    The views and comments of E-man are mine and mine alone and therefore might not reflect the views of others or people in my current department. As such since this is still America I can post what I want without fear of retribution. I think.

RIP Eric

Thread Information