Welcome to the APBWeb.
    BEK
    BEK is offline Lieutenant
    Verified LEO

Baby Alcohol Content .364

A spokesperson for Memorial Hospital told 9NEWS the child, named Kristina, was released on Monday after being brought to the emergency room on Sunday.

The Major Crimes Unit of the Colorado Springs Police Department is investigating the case as possible child abuse.

According to authorities, Kristina had a blood alcohol level of .364. That is four times the legal limit for an adult.

Police are saying the child's mother is giving conflicting stories on how Kristina ingested the alcohol.

The mother's sister, Jessica Smith, says her sister is a good mother who made a bad mistake.

Smith told a reporter in Colorado Springs her sister used what she thought was water from her boyfriend's water bottle to make formula for Kristina and the baby drank all of the formula.

However, Smith says the substance in the bottle was vodka and not water.

"I don't think she had any idea what it was," said Smith.

Prior to Kristina's release Colorado Springs Police said she would be turned over to the custody of Human Services of El Paso County. However, police would not confirm who had custody of the child after she got out of the hospital.

Police say the girl's parents appear to be transient and either stay with family in the Colorado Springs area or in their car.

Police say they do not know if the baby's mother was staying with family or was in the car when the incident occurred.

Authorities say they believe the mother's boyfriend dropped the mother and child off at the hospital and left.
    Police have not released the names of the baby's mother or father.

Police say they have no plans for any arrests or charges, but plan to complete their investigation and turn the information over to the district attorney's office.

Hospital spokeswoman Sharon Miracle said alcohol is "virtually a poison" at levels as high as those reportedly found in the infant.

"Any time you give alcohol to a child, and at that quantity, it is extremely dangerous," she said.
    "High levels of ethanol can be very sedating, so their mental status can decline and they can pass out and when they get extremely high levels they can also become so sedated that their breathing slows down," said Carrie Mendoza, a doctor at the Rocky Mountain Poison and Drug Center. "They can also vomit and they can accidentally breathe in some of their vomit and get a lung injury from that."

General Patten is offline Surgeon General
    .364? wow! that is one drunk baby... I hope shes ok...
    SURGEON GENERAL'S WARNING:
    Lead is very hazardous to your health.
    Always include Kevlar in your daily diet.

"I always believe in being prepared, even when I'm dressed in white tie and tails."
    - Gen. George S. Patton, Jr.

Coloradocop is offline It's the PoPo
    Verified LEO
    Yeah, I just heard this story on the news... It is local news around here, though I think this one might make national. That kid was toasted! Hopefully no long term damage...

BEK
    BEK is offline Lieutenant
    Verified LEO
    Dude Im from MN and it was on the news here thats how i found and posted it

Ducky is offline Enforcer General
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    I wonder how 'conflicting' those stories are. If she honestly thought it was water, that's one thing, but if she was trying to make the baby sleep or something...
    \\
    ` ` ` ` < ` )___/\
    `` ` ` ` (3--(____)
    "...but to forget your duck, of course, means you're really screwed." - Gary Larson
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtN1YnoL46Q

TheOldRhino is offline Corporal
    If you can't tell the difference between water and vodka, you're too stupid have a driver's license, let alone a baby.
    The virtue of spirit has no need for thanks or approval. Only the certain conviction that what has been done is right. -Jor El, as played by Marlon Brando

Coloradocop is offline It's the PoPo
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhino View Post
    If you can't tell the difference between water and vodka, you're too stupid have a driver's license, let alone a baby.
    True enough. It isn't like you can't smell Vodka as soon as you open the bottle. Seriously, this just takes me back to my parental licensing idea.

BEB
    BEB is offline Banned
    Assuming no acute damage, better this than her mum drinking while she was in vitro.

Not for drunk babies, but fetal alcohol syndrome is tough.

That said, I don't buy the excuse for a minute. I've bottle fed a lot of livestock - sheep, goats, cows - and not a one would willingly take milk if it wasn't just right.

I'd just about bet my life against this story being a lie. No way a baby would take a bottle laced with vodka - unless it was already drunk.

--BEB

Ducky is offline Enforcer General
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Well, it said she got it from his water bottle. If it was an aquafina bottle that he'd been refilling, she may not have thought to check. Guess I'm trying to put the best light on it, not sure why.
    \\
    ` ` ` ` < ` )___/\
    `` ` ` ` (3--(____)
    "...but to forget your duck, of course, means you're really screwed." - Gary Larson
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtN1YnoL46Q

cwtlady is offline Corporal
    Supporting Member Lvl 2
    Quote Originally Posted by BugEyedBeast View Post
    That said, I don't buy the excuse for a minute. I've bottle fed a lot of livestock - sheep, goats, cows - and not a one would willingly take milk if it wasn't just right.

I'd just about bet my life against this story being a lie. No way a baby would take a bottle laced with vodka - unless it was already drunk.

--BEB
    I agree that something about her excuse doesn't seem right. Babies can be fussy when it comes to taking a bottle. I would think the taste alone would cause the baby to fuss. I don't know much about vodka but I can't imagine a baby drinking it even if it was mixed with milk.
    http://www.odmp.org/officer/16551-de...l-eron-shannon

Police Officers put themselves at risk for strangers every day. Some do not make it home to their families. Next time you think of saying something negative about the police, remember...YOU are one of the strangers.

kjlaw is offline Swamp Mafia Proud!!!
    Verified LEO
    I had a similar case a few months back where the girl was at a friends house and asked to use some water to make a bottle for the baby. Turns out the friend's father hides his gin in water bottles so his wife does not see the bottles around the house. It was hard to believe at first but after speaking to all involved parties that is what happened.

Buttercup is offline Thrives in sunshine
    Supporting Member Lvl 1
    At least they took her to the hospital instead of dumping her somewhere and letting her die. I wonder how old the parents are.

Michelle is offline Civilian

Authorities say they believe the mother's boyfriend dropped the mother and child off at the hospital and left.
    I can't imagine what would be more important that the boyfriend couldn't stay at the hospital with his girlfriend and the baby.
    Unless...he was guilty of something.

I hope the baby will be okay and doesn't suffer from parent stupidity.

AITG is offline Master Officer
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhino View Post
    Unfortunately, nobody is ever too stupid to have a baby.
    Last edited by AITG; 12-05-06 at 08:35 PM.
    If I wanted people to like me I'd be a fireman.

lynnz05 is offline Corporal
    That's just sad...really really sad....
    What I say is my opinion, not my employers or that of my academic institution.

Thread Information