Welcome to the APBWeb.

Thread: Police Shootout

bird1 is offline Corporal
    Verified LEO

Police Shootout

NEW LENOX -- A gunman was killed and two New Lenox police officers were injured Thursday after a routine traffic stop turned into a shootout in the southwest suburb.

NBC5's Natalie Martinez reported that the officers sustained serious and minor injuries and remained at Silver Cross Hospital in Joliet Friday morning.

The shooting happened about 7:45 p.m. when on-duty officers stopped a vehicle near Route 30 and Schoolhouse Road, according to Will County Sheriff's Office spokesman Pat Barry.

NBC5's Amy Jacobson reported Thursday that the officers pulled over a man with out-of-state plates.

Martinez said the man got out of the car shooting and the officers fired back after they were hit.

Chief Daniel Martin of the New Lenox Police Department said, "The vehicle initially failed to stop, but was finally curbed in the parking lot at Lincoln-Way Central High School. The offender exited the vehicle and began firing on officers."

No students were injured at the high school, located at 1801 E. Lincoln Hwy. in the southwest suburb.

Jacobson reported that students on campus for after-school events. Wrestlers, cheerleaders and swimmers were ordered to go to the cafeteria as the school was put on lockdown as a precaution.

Students were reunited with their families at about 9 p.m.

"We were upstairs in our psychology class," said one girl. "Then, we saw a bunch of cop cars coming out and before we knew it, they were evacuating us into one of the cafeterias."

"A cop came flying into the parking lot, slammed on his brakes. He got out with his gun drawn and ran into the back of the school," said student Christopher Duda. "Then, we heard shots fired, and then we ran into the school."

The identity of the deceased gunman had not been released as of Friday morning pending family notification.

Additional information provided by Chicago Sun-Times Inc.
    http://www.nbc5.com/index.html
    Copyright 2006 by NBC5.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
    " The hardest thing about disarming an armed suspect is not slipping on your own shit "

Michael P. Gordon E.O.W 08 Aug 2004

The opinions given in my posts DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are MY PERSONAL OPINIONS and I accept sole responsibility as such.

Big Al is offline There is no place like home....
    Verified LEO
    Good guys win again,,, that brings memories back to me!

TheOldRhino is offline Corporal
    Good job guys- I hope our bros that were injured are okay!
    The virtue of spirit has no need for thanks or approval. Only the certain conviction that what has been done is right. -Jor El, as played by Marlon Brando

Thread Information