Welcome to the APBWeb.
    Pedro56 is offline Englewood Ranger/Infidel Extraordinaire
    Verified LEO

5 Shot 4 Dead. Chicago SWAT Gets First Kill

5 shot; 4 dead at West Loop office building
    Gunman and three victims are dead

http://abclocal.go.com/wls/story?sec...cal&id=4835445

December 8, 2006 (Last Updated: 6:44 p.m.)

Five people were shot in a building above the Ogilvie Transportation Center on West Madison Street in Chicago. A gunman apparently shot four people, killing three, and then was shot and killed by police or he may have shot himself.

Metra trains running again

Five people were shot in a building above the Ogilvie Transportation Center on West Madison Street in Chicago. A gunman apparently shot four people, killing three, according to police officials, and then was shot and killed by police or he may have shot himself. The area was closed off to traffic and Metra trains have been not running for most of the rush hour.
    Police Supt. Phil Cline said the gunman was armed with a snub-nose revolver, knife and hammer and in just over "several minutes" shot four people at the building that also houses a commuter train station.

The gunman was holding a hostage when police fired at him, but "before the offender died, he may have also shot himself," Cline said. Police said they won't know for sure until an autopsy is performed.
    Three people were hospitalized in critical condition -- two at Northwestern Memorial Hospital and one at Cook County Hospital -- and one was in stable condition at Rush University Medical Center, Fire Department spokeswoman Eve Rodriguez said.

Fire officials said they received reports of shots fired in the top floor of the 38-story Citigroup Center around 3:15 p.m.

Cindy Penzick, secretary in a law firm on the 37th floor, said that after a co-worker told her she heard gunshots, a police officer with his gun drawn on their floor yelled at them to get out.

Penzick said she usually is calm, "But I have to tell you this was scary as hell."

People hurried down the escalators and ran from the skyscraper on the west side of downtown, as dozens of police cars and two fire trucks converged in front of the building.

Keegan Greene, who works at Verizon Wireless on the first floor, was helping a customer when fire alarms began going off.
    "One of the security guards came up to us and started saying, "Run, run, run, run, run!" Greene said.

Service on the Metra commuter line was suspended for more than an hour while the incident unfolded. Train service resumed just after 5 p.m.

Metra spokeswoman Judy Pardonnet said all Metra crew members had been locked into secure areas within the facility.

Many commuters who had planned to board trains were milling around in the cold, trying to figure out how they would get home. Several people congregated in a nearby ATM vestibule to stay warm, while others boarded city buses to stay warm.

Chicago Transit Authority spokeswoman Wanda Taylor said the CTA was honoring Metra passes on buses and trains.

Metra trains affected

Eight CTA bus routes have been impacted by the situation: 14, 20, 56, 60, 124, 127, 129 and 157. The nearest alternate bus stop for all eight routes is at Madison and Wacker.

Janet Buswell, office manager for a firm located on the 25th floor, said her staff learned of the incident when emergency flashers went off and they were told over building speakers to secure their offices and let no one in or out.

"It was a little tense, when you don't know what's going on," said Buswell, of RBC Dain Rauscher Inc. "Of course this is the train station building, so there's always the fear that could be targeted."

(Copyright 2006 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)

http://www.lawenforcementforums.com/forums/signaturepics/sigpic763_2.gif

"I am the guy that keeps Mister Dead in his pocket." -'Mad' Max Rockatansky

"An Englewood Ranger is no stranger to Danger.." -Unk

Good Night Chesty Where Ever You Are.

A Good Friend will bail you out of jail, but a true friend will be sitting next to you in the cell saying, "That was Awesome."

God Made Police Men so Fireman Would Have Heroes.

bird1 is offline Corporal
    Verified LEO
    " The hardest thing about disarming an armed suspect is not slipping on your own shit "

Michael P. Gordon E.O.W 08 Aug 2004

The opinions given in my posts DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are MY PERSONAL OPINIONS and I accept sole responsibility as such.

Norm357 is offline Corporal
    Supporting Member Lvl 2
    This never happened.

Thanks to Mayor Daley, Chicago is a gun free utopia.
    dlefdal said:
    Ummmm, what if I don't like thumbs in my butt?

Jackalope is offline Yell O
    Quote Originally Posted by Norm357 View Post
    This never happened.

Thanks to Mayor Daley, Chicago is a gun free utopia.
    Reading that is like deja vu all over again.

How's your wife, by the way?
    "I'm not a coward,
    I've just never been tested
    I'd like to think that if I was,
    I would pass"
    ~Mighty Mighty Bosstones~

Norm357 is offline Corporal
    Supporting Member Lvl 2
    Quote Originally Posted by Jackalope View Post
    Reading that is like deja vu all over again.

How's your wife, by the way?

Great! Thanks for asking.
    dlefdal said:
    Ummmm, what if I don't like thumbs in my butt?

Thread Information