Welcome to the APBWeb.
    Terminator is offline BANNED

Actor Wesley Snipes arrested at Orlando International Airport

Actor Wesley Snipes has been arrested at Orlando International Airport.
    Snipes was indicted about a month ago on tax fraud charges. He has said he is being unfairly targeted by federal prosecutors who indicted him.

The indictment charges Snipes with fraudulently claiming refunds totaling nearly 12 (m) million dollars in 1996 and 1997 on income taxes already paid. The star of the "Blade" trilogy and other films was also charged with failure to file returns from 1999 through 2004.

If convicted, Snipes, faces up to 16 years in prison.

As of late last month, he was living temporarily in Namibia while filming a movie.

TheeBadOne is offline Why so serious?
    Verified LEO
    No more "day walker"
    "When I'm driving along and I see a sign that says, CAUTION: SMALL CHILDREN AHEAD,
    I slow down, and then it occurs to me, I'm not afraid of small children"!

TheOldRhino is offline Corporal
    I hope he beats the rap. The IRS is nothing more than a "legal" racket.
    The virtue of spirit has no need for thanks or approval. Only the certain conviction that what has been done is right. -Jor El, as played by Marlon Brando

Doc_Holliday is offline California Dreaming...
    hey rhino, side note libertarian type question for you....I agree about the IRS, but also feel we do need to pay something....can I make the educated assumption you are in favor of some form of flat tax? Or would you prefer a consumption tax?

BEB
    BEB is offline Banned
    Well at the beginning the federal government was funded by tariff. While a nice idea to stop there, the debt incurred during the revolution had to be serviced somehow. Some of my libertarian friends start objecting even at tariffs, others throw Hamilton under the bus at the point of taxing whiskey.

Personally I think local sales taxes are the least bad of the choices. I like to see local funding - people tend to be more careful asking the government for things when they're paying more directly for it. If a city becomes too highly taxed people will move to places with more efficient government - something that doesn't work on a Federal model.

Tossing out some thoughts.

TheOldRhino is offline Corporal
    Quote Originally Posted by trooper_hopeful_51 View Post
    hey rhino, side note libertarian type question for you....I agree about the IRS, but also feel we do need to pay something....can I make the educated assumption you are in favor of some form of flat tax? Or would you prefer a consumption tax?
    I'm a huge proponent of the FAIR TAX (which is not a flat tax). The fair tax taxes mostly non-consumable goods. For more info see the website or read The Fair Tax Book by Neal Boortz and Rep. John Linder.
    The virtue of spirit has no need for thanks or approval. Only the certain conviction that what has been done is right. -Jor El, as played by Marlon Brando

Doc_Holliday is offline California Dreaming...
    I have read tha book, heard about it on Hannity...great read.

BEB
    BEB is offline Banned
    Not a Fair Tax fan here.

The "Pre-bate" has every citizen at their mailbox looking for government cheese - something only tax paying people who don't understand withholding do now, and then only once a year. From a social programming view that's enough to make me against it.

No matter how you do the formula we still have the Feds involved in funding from the top down. Hardly a road gets built around here unless the local municipality can get the state and feds to kick in. Even the sidewalk projects in the southeast part of the city are part of Economic Development grants from the feds. You guys are all paying for a sidewalk the people using it were unwilling to build themselves. Not only does that rob you, but as someone who lives in the same town, it takes my local voice away.

Sorry to get political all of a sudden, but the topic was raised. Instead of finding different mechanisms to fund the same system, like with the Fair Tax, I'm for changing the system back to what it was originally meant to be. Strong States, local control, with the federal layer acting as a glue for the union of States and final arbiter in disagreements. That rather than having it's fingers in the day to day operation not only of states but right down to the individual.

Might be an unrealistic idea. Same is said of the Fair Tax. I figure if you're looking for reform, think big.

--BEB

BEK
    BEK is offline Lieutenant
    Verified LEO
    Well I hope he doesnt beat the rap, I hope he has to pay back every friggen last penny to the gvt. 12 million dollars and for kickers throw his butt in jail.
    Snipes just do a few more Blade movies and youll be good to go

BEB
    BEB is offline Banned
    For the record, I don't hope he gets away with breaking the law. Why should I celebrate if he gets away with something 170 million others don't? I'm not here to promote scofflaws; I just wanted to comment on the Fair Tax.

TheeBadOne is offline Why so serious?
    Verified LEO
    Tax Protester Linked to Snipes Convicted

A man who contended that he was not required to pay income tax, and whose case led to an indictment against actor Wesley Snipes, has been convicted of tax evasion.

Arthur Farnsworth, 44, from near Sellersville in Bucks County, was convicted Friday. He remains free on bail and is scheduled to be sentenced March 7.

One of Farnsworth's attorneys, Peter Goldberger, said the defense argued their client did not intend to break the law and only failed to pay taxes because he believed the system was voluntary.

"The issue is not whether he was right or wrong. The issue was whether he was sincere in what he believed," Goldberger said.

The Farnsworth case became better known nationally on Wednesday when testimony tied it to the case against Snipes. Internal Revenue Service Special Agent James Morris testified Wednesday that agents found documents in Farnsworth's home in 2002 that led to a nationwide investigation into fraudulent trust funds. One of the funds was designed to hide money and assets to avoid payment of federal income taxes.

Wayne Rebuck, a former director at the company that sold the trusts, testified in Farnsworth's trial that Snipes owned one of the trusts.

Snipes was indicted in October on eight counts of tax fraud. He pleaded not guilty on Friday and said he looks forward to clearing his name.
    "When I'm driving along and I see a sign that says, CAUTION: SMALL CHILDREN AHEAD,
    I slow down, and then it occurs to me, I'm not afraid of small children"!

Thread Information