Welcome to the APBWeb.
    Terminator is offline BANNED

LAPD Officer arrested for beating handcuffed teenager in a holding cell on video

LOS ANGELES (AP) -- A videotape shows an officer assaulting a handcuffed teenager inside a police station holding cell, but the images won't be made public, the police chief said.

Sean Joseph Meade, 41, was arrested Thursday for investigation of assault under color of authority. He was released on $10,000 bail, and a court appearance was scheduled for Monday.

Police Chief William J. Bratton said the confrontation was part of an internal investigation, so the videotape won't be released publicly.

The department is still wrestling with fallout from two recent and very public videotapes that appear to show officers using excessive force against suspects. Both of those were taken by amateurs on the streets.

Bratton said Meade assaulted the youth after he was arrested early Tuesday for a curfew violation. The teenager was in a juvenile holding cell with his hands cuffed behind his back and did not physically provoke the attack, the chief said.

Bratton declined to provide details of what happened in the cell, but said no weapon was involved. The officer was apparently not aware of the camera, which had been set up to identify a vandal who had been damaging nearby office chairs.

"My concern was that the officer was engaged in an assault, which I felt was inappropriate," Bratton said Thursday.

The teen was examined at a hospital but had no apparent injuries and remained at Juvenile Hall while police tried to locate his guardians, Bratton said.

Meade, a 13-year veteran of the force, was immediately suspended. It was unclear whether he had obtained legal counsel, which often is handled by the police union.

Los Angeles Police Protective League President Bob Baker said the union would be consulting with the officer, but wasn't yet able to evaluate the facts of the case.

Jackalope is offline Yell O
    How can there be an assault without injuries?
    "I'm not a coward,
    I've just never been tested
    I'd like to think that if I was,
    I would pass"
    ~Mighty Mighty Bosstones~

TheOldRhino is offline Corporal
    Quote Originally Posted by Jackalope View Post
    How can there be an assault without injuries?
    Here's the Georgia Title for Simple Assault

Here's the Georgia Title for Aggravated Assault

Without taking you through a lesson in criminal law- which I could- assault is generally the promise of violence and battery is the actual carrying out of violence. Of course this is GA law, not CA. So YMMV.
    The virtue of spirit has no need for thanks or approval. Only the certain conviction that what has been done is right. -Jor El, as played by Marlon Brando

Jackalope is offline Yell O
    Interesting. In Oregon, the main component of Assault is an injury. To threaten violence is Menacing, but the suspect has to have the means to carry out the threat at the time he makes it.
    "I'm not a coward,
    I've just never been tested
    I'd like to think that if I was,
    I would pass"
    ~Mighty Mighty Bosstones~

121Traffic is offline Just Us
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Jackalope View Post
    Interesting. In Oregon, the main component of Assault is an injury. To threaten violence is Menacing, but the suspect has to have the means to carry out the threat at the time he makes it.
    Same here in Colorado, BUT the degree of injury required for third degree assault here is "bodily injury" which basically comes down to anything the victim perceives as "pain". That's why we ask DV victims constantly..."When he pushed you into the wall...was it hard enough to cause pain? Did it hurt?" The pain is the dividing line between harassment (which is essentially strikes, shoves, kicks, threats, or statements meant to intimidate, annoy, or alarm) and actual assault.
    "If anything worthwhile comes of this tragedy, it should be the realization by every citizen that often the only thing that stands between them and losing everything they hold dear... is the man wearing a badge." -- Ronald Reagan, in the wake of the deaths of 4 CHP troopers in the Newhall Incident, 1970

The opinions given in my posts DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "121Traffic" on O/R.

armygrnt502 is offline Making my streets safer, one day at a time
    Verified LEO
    Same here in KY. We have 4 degrees of assualt, with 1st being serious injury or death all the way to 4th which is minor injury or to cause pain.

If its neither of those, its harrasment, which to us is only a violation, not a misdemeanor.
    "Sometimes people need a little help. Sometimes people need to be forgiven. And sometimes they need to go to jail."

HardNoseBull is offline HardNoseBull
    i cannot beleive in this day and age these guys are forgetting big brother is watching damn near all the time. I find it interesting how down inthe states you have a different laws and statutes for the diffrent states. In Canada we have one criminal code, so where ever you are in the country, criminal laws are always the same, assault in BC has to have all the same elements as assault in Nova Scotia, that was just a example.
    Giggity giggity Goo!

Glen Quagmire,Family Guy, Pick any Episode

BEB
    BEB is offline Banned
    We really don't know what happened. That's all I have to say at this time.

10-42Adam is offline Major
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    I wasn't there. I'm not going to judge...
    Calm Like A Bomb...

A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity. An optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty.
    -Winston Churchill

Thread Information