Welcome to the APBWeb.
    Standard Dave is offline Constable

Complaints about police up by 15%

The number of complaints against police in England and Wales has risen by 15% over the last year, figures show.
    Some 26,268 complaint cases were recorded by the Independent Police Complaints Commission (IPCC) for 2005/2006 - up 3,370 on 2004/2005.

But 88% of allegations investigated were found to be unsubstantiated.

The Police Federation of England and Wales said officers were "too often made to feel guilty before investigation has started".

To ensure police officer confidence in the IPCC, it is essential that they are treated like any other member of the public

Jan Berry
    Police Federation
    "Whilst it is right that police officers are fully accountable for their actions, the IPCC must recognise the massive effect these investigations have on the officers and families involved, even when accusations are tenuous at best," chairwoman Jan Berry said.

"To ensure police officer confidence in the IPCC, it is essential that they are treated like any other member of the public - officers must be judged to be innocent until proved guilty."

The statistics also show that eight out of 10 appeals against IPCC rulings were rejected.

The most common allegation against police was for "neglect or failure of duty".

IPCC chairman Nick Hardwick welcomed the increase because he said it showed people had "greater confidence that it is worth complaining".

"It also shows that the commission and the police service have made the system more accessible and usable," he added.

"More and more people recognise that if you have a grievance the police service will take it seriously.

"This can only have a beneficial effect on the public's views of the police service as a whole."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/6175611.stm

Star Man is offline Guns only have two enemies; rust and politicians
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Standard Dave View Post

The Police Federation of England and Wales said officers were "too often made to feel guilty before investigation has started".

"To ensure police officer confidence in the IPCC, it is essential that they are treated like any other member of the public - officers must be judged to be innocent until proved guilty."

IPCC chairman Nick Hardwick welcomed the increase because he said it showed people had "greater confidence that it is worth complaining".

"It also shows that the commission and the police service have made the system more accessible and usable," he added.

"More and more people recognise that if you have a grievance the police service will take it seriously.
    Just like alot of American cities...........

Copper51 is offline Up all night
    If you're not getting complaints, you're not doing your job right.

Now if the brass just understood this, and told the whiners to pound sand. Luckly I have a couple Sgts that work the street with us and back us.
    The statements and opinions made here are of Copper51's only. They do not reflect my department or the city I work for.
    So lay off, I'm offduty and spouting off.

TheOldRhino is offline Corporal
    Complaints up, crime down.
    The virtue of spirit has no need for thanks or approval. Only the certain conviction that what has been done is right. -Jor El, as played by Marlon Brando

Trojan 42 is offline Retired Ninja
    Verified LEO
    See what happens because I retire?? Not only that the Crime rate goes up, but so do Complaints. Any complaints found to be malicious should result in a prosecution for wasting police time.

Although in my opinion anyone who complains should be nicked anyway.
    To be born an Englishman, is to be a winner in the Lottery of Life.

I've Talked the Talk and I've Walked the Walk, now I Sit the Sit!

It's not until you look at an Ant through a magnifying glass on a sunny day, that you realise just how often they burst into flames for no reason!

Thread Information