Welcome to the APBWeb.
    nitestokker is offline Banned

More dumbasses messing with mother nature

I am sick and tired of stupid frickin' idiots like this. Hmmmm, winter, mountains, December, let's go! It'll be fun. Even if they ever do find these tools alive, they should charge them for every damn penny spent on the search. Same goes for the family of Mr. Chinese guy who took his babies for a drive on a deserted logging road. STOP BEING STUPID, PEOPLE! I DO NOT FEEL SORRY FOR MORONS!!!

COOPER SPUR, Oregon (AP) -- Cold rain lashed the base of Mount Hood on Wednesday as search parties headed back up the treacherous slopes to look for three climbers missing since the weekend.

A fresh team joined the search Wednesday.

Crews may get some additional help from heat-seeking, unmanned aircraft provided by a Colorado company and pinpoint cell phone detection equipment from another high-tech company, said Pete Hughes of the Hood River County Sheriff's Department.

"But if anybody is above the 7,000-foot range, we're not going to be able to get to them," Hughes said. "And we're probably not going to be able to get to them by Thursday either, unless there happens to be a break in the weather."

Even at the base camp at Cooper Spur, the wind hit 60 mph Wednesday morning and temperatures hovered in the 30s.

At higher elevations, the teams have faced wind so strong it knocked them off their feet, plus poor visibility in blowing snow and a threat of avalanches. More stormy weather was in the forecast. (Watch rescuers frustrated by high winds )

"The next 48 hours is not looking very good," Hughes said.

Plans called for two staging camps on the north and south sides of the mountain so teams can head to the summit quickly if the weather breaks, he said.

There had been no contact with the missing climbers since Sunday, when one reached his family by cell phone to say he was in a snow cave high on the mountain and his two companions had gone for help.

The rescue effort was hampered because the three climbers had taken one of the most difficult approaches to the summit, scaling the north side of the mountain where slopes tilt at angles of 50 or 60 degrees and feature become sheer walls of ice. (Watch why route climbers chose is so challenging )

Higher flanks of the mountain have been scoured by wind up to 80 mph.

Kelly James, Brian Hall and Jerry "Nikko" Cooke had planned a "quick climb" on Mount Hood, traveling light to make the ascent as fast as possible, officials said.

Cooke, 36, a lawyer from New York City, and Hall, 37, a personal trainer who played for the now-defunct Dallas Rockets professional soccer team, are believed to have attempted a descent while James, 48, a landscape architect from Dallas, apparently remained near the summit.

James has the most experience -- 25 years of mountaineering that includes Mount McKinley, the Andes Mountains in South America and peaks in Europe, his family said.

"My brother has been climbing for 25 years, and he would know what to do in a difficult situation," said Frank James. "He's been in a number of situations and always managed to get out well. I think that's a testament to his experience."

Frank James said it wasn't clear from his brother's four-minute cell phone call whether he was injured. His brother did appear to be feeling the effects of the cold and said he was worried about the weather, he said.

Copyright 2006 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Tools: Save | Print | E-mail | Most Popular
    Next story in U.S. U.S.
    Search Topic E-mail Alerts
    Oregon
    Mount Hood
    Climbing

What are E-mail Alerts? | Manage Alerts | Create Your Own

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If airlines merge, you're gonna pay, experts say

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Actor Peter Boyle dead at 71
    Source: Saudis would back Sunnis
    Experts: New York getting too big
    White dolphin called extinct
    Race against time in UK killings
    Actor Peter Boyle dies
    Ipswich prostitutes warned to stay off streets
    Official: Saudi king read Cheney 'riot act' on Iraq
    Dobbs: Bah humbug to the politically correct
    Heat-seeking craft may look for lost climbers
    Teens accused of baking puppy (1:20)
    Honor roll abolished (1:16)
    Cameras capture deadly robbery (1:24)
    Celebrity PR problems (2:17)
    Now In The News (Updated: 1:36 p.m. ET)

Rescuers search the north side of Mount Hood Tuesday for three missing climbers.

Image:
    ADVERTISER LINKS
    Baby Climbers Shower Favors
    Shop for great deals on Baby Climbers Shower Favors and millions of other...

www.monstermarketplace.com

Black Diamond Vario Chest Harness
    Offering upright stability to climbers jugging fixed lines, climbers with heavy...

www.rescueresponse.com

Exercise Climbers at Shopping.com
    Find, Compare and Buy Exercise Climbers. Choose from Thousands of stores.

www.shopping.com

Browse/Search Search continues for three missing climbers (2:26)

Weather stalls climber search (1:50)

Essential items for survival when stranded (2:06)

The rule of 'threes' for surviving the cold (2:34)
    VIDEORELATEDLost husband walked 16 miles

Coloradocop is offline It's the PoPo
    Verified LEO
    Hey now... I climb mountains in winter. Of course, we plan for self-rescue, should the need arise (though I imagine this group did, too, given their experience). And, a few of the guys I have climbed with over the years are actually mountain SAR guys.

This is not to say that I know the circumstances behind this event, but still... One of the climbers listed has 25 yrs experience and climbed Denali (mckinley), which is far harder on a good day than you would expect from Mt Hood on a bad day.
    Denali is some serious climbing... so I'm guessing these guys knew their stuff at least better than your average mountaineer.

I don't give a shit how good they "think they are". I am looking at it from the SAR standpoint. I was on SAR when I worked in Wyoming and it puts a lot of people in danger looking for these idiots. If you want to be a fucking moron and take that chance, then fine. But at least be kind enough to leave a note with someone stating that you are a super-duper-expert mountain type idiot person and you don't want anyone to bother looking for you if you go missing. That would save a lot of headaches for everyone.

phoenixrose is offline Firebrand
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Quote Originally Posted by nitestokker View Post
    I don't give a shit how good they "think they are". I am looking at it from the SAR standpoint. I was on SAR when I worked in Wyoming and it puts a lot of people in danger looking for these idiots. If you want to be a ------- moron and take that chance, then fine. But at least be kind enough to leave a note with someone stating that you are a super-duper-expert mountain type idiot person and you don't want anyone to bother looking for you if you go missing. That would save a lot of headaches for everyone.

Are you in a bad mood today, nitestokker? You need a hug?

Actually, that was exactly my thought when I first read this post. Experienced or not, these climbers have put a LOT of people at risk, because of their choices.
    phoenixrose
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    If the sex scene doesn't make you want to do it - whatever it is they're doing - it hasn't been written right.~~~Sloan Wilson
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"WHAT canary?"

I'm ALWAYS in a bad mood! So shut up and go away!

Cheech Guest
    Nitestokker. Your father didnt love you . We know. Brad will give you a hug

MonsterMash is offline Proud 3%er
    Gotta agree with Nitestokker on this one. If you want to be a dumbass, fine. But don't endanger everyone else just because you wanted to "have a little fun."
    Are you a 3%er? If you aren't, you should be.

Big Al is offline There is no place like home....
    Verified LEO
    [B]I am sick and tired of stupid frickin' idiots like this. Hmmmm, winter, mountains, December, let's go! It'll be fun. Even if they ever do find these tools alive, they should charge them for every damn penny spent on the search. Same goes for the family of Mr. Chinese
    "
    I couldn't have said it better

Hannibal is offline Zombie Killin' Sheepdog
    Verified LEO
    They should be billed heavily for the SAR services.

"Stupid should hurt."

phoenixrose is offline Firebrand
    Supporting Member Lvl 3

LOL...I have this feeling, I'm going to hear that from you a LOT.
    Sigh....okay, no hug today.
    phoenixrose
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    If the sex scene doesn't make you want to do it - whatever it is they're doing - it hasn't been written right.~~~Sloan Wilson
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"WHAT canary?"

Piggybank Cop is offline Nobody important.
    Body Found in Mt. Hood Snow Cave
    By JOSEPH B. FRAZIER
    Associated Press Writer
    The Associated Press
    Updated: 6:57 a.m. ET Dec 18, 2006
    HOOD RIVER, Ore. - With a family's hopes dashed by the discovery of a dead climber in a snow cave up Mount Hood, searchers pressed on Monday in hopes of finding the two climbers who remain missing on the 11,239-foot mountain.

Family members had relied on an intense religious faith along with confidence that the extensive mountaineering experience of the trio would save them from a week of blizzard storms and single-digit temperatures that kept search teams and helicopters at bay on the treacherous north side of Oregon's highest mountain.

Pete Hughes, of the Hood River County sheriff's office, the lead agency in the search, said Monday's effort would center on possible descent routes on Eliot Glacier and Cooper Spur, relatively lower levels of the mountain, in case the other two got down that far.

He said the identity of the dead climber was expected to be released Monday. His body remained on the mountain Sunday night because darkness made it too dangerous to retrieve.

Searchers found a snow cave Sunday near the spot located by cell phone signals traced from Kelly James, 48, of Dallas, who made a four-minute call to his family Dec. 10 just below the summit.

He told his family the climbing party was in trouble and that the other two had headed back down, apparently for help. He may have been injured.

The body was found in a second snow cave near the first, about 300 feet below the summit. Rescuers found two ice axes, a sleeping bag or pad and rope in the first. It was not known if any gear was in the second cave.

"We remain hopeful," said Capt. Mike Braibish, spokesman for the Oregon National Guard. "We are going to still collect information and pursue the rescue of the two other climbers."

Near the first snow cave, helicopters had spotted rope that had been intentionally laid out in a Y-shape, which climbers often use to indicate their location. There also was an ice spike and footprints, apparently headed up the mountain, said Sgt. Gerry Tiffany, a spokesman for the Hood River County sheriff's office.

Searchers dug through the first cave to ensure no one was there and took the equipment, which will be examined for clues. The second cave with the climber's body was found a short time later.

It was not immediately clear which cave was occupied first, or why or when the climber, or climbers, decided to move from it.

Weather conditions have been harsh since the three were reporting missing, with heavy snow and wind gusts of up to 100 mph. The snow stopped Saturday, but wind of up to 50 mph blew the fresh snow, hampering visibility.

There has been no communication since a week ago Sunday when James made the cell phone call, and none since the climb began from Brian Hall, 37, also of Dallas, or Jerry "Nikko" Cooke, 36, of New York City.

Braibish said Sunday that the families gathered here had been told that one fatality was confirmed but that there was no positive identification.

"Our hearts are going out to the families right now," said Braibish.
    We are the thin blue line
    between you
    and all the money in the world.

And no you can't have any.

Piggybank Cop is offline Nobody important.
    Family ID's climber killed on Mount Hood
    Kelly James found Sunday in snow cave; search to resume for 2 still missing
    BREAKING NEWS
    The Associated Press
    Updated: 7:57 a.m. ET Dec 18, 2006
    HOOD RIVER, Ore. - The dead climber found in a snow cave up Mount Hood has been identified as Kelly James, 48, of Dallas, a family spokesperson told NBC News on Monday. The discovery of James' body brought a sad conclusion to a long week of anxious optimism among family and friends gathered here to await news of three missing men.

With the hopes of one family shattered and those of two more on hold, searchers prepared to again head up the 11,239-foot mountain on Monday seeking the two remaining climbers.

Family members had relied on an intense religious faith along with confidence that the extensive mountaineering experience of the trio would save them from a week of blizzard storms and single-digit temperatures that kept search teams and helicopters at bay on the treacherous north side of Oregon’s highest mountain.

Pete Hughes, of the Hood River County sheriff’s office, the lead agency in the search, said Monday’s effort would center on possible descent routes on Eliot Glacier and Cooper Spur, relatively lower levels of the mountain, in case the other two got down that far.

James' body remained on the mountain Sunday night because darkness made it too dangerous to retrieve.

Two snow caves found
    Searchers found a snow cave Sunday near the spot located by cell phone signals traced from James, who made a four-minute call to his family Dec. 10 just below the summit.

He told his family the climbing party was in trouble and that the other two had headed back down, apparently for help. He may have been injured.

The body was found in a second snow cave near the first, about 300 feet below the summit. Rescuers found two ice axes, a sleeping bag or pad and rope in the first. It was not known if any gear was in the second cave.

“We remain hopeful,” said Capt. Mike Braibish, spokesman for the Oregon National Guard. “We are going to still collect information and pursue the rescue of the two other climbers.”

Near the first snow cave, helicopters had spotted rope that had been intentionally laid out in a Y-shape, which climbers often use to indicate their location. There also was an ice spike and footprints, apparently headed up the mountain, said Sgt. Gerry Tiffany, a spokesman for the Hood River County sheriff’s office.

Searchers dug through the first cave to ensure no one was there and took the equipment, which will be examined for clues. The second cave with the climber’s body was found a short time later.

It was not immediately clear which cave was occupied first, or why or when the climber, or climbers, decided to move from it.

Harsh conditions
    Weather conditions have been harsh since the three were reporting missing, with heavy snow and wind gusts of up to 100 mph. The snow stopped Saturday, but wind of up to 50 mph blew the fresh snow, hampering visibility.

There has been no communication since a week ago Sunday when James made the cell phone call, and none since the climb began from Brian Hall, 37, also of Dallas, or Jerry “Nikko” Cooke, 36, of New York City.

Braibish said Sunday that the families gathered here had been told that one fatality was confirmed but that there was no positive identification.

“Our hearts are going out to the families right now,” said Braibish.
    We are the thin blue line
    between you
    and all the money in the world.

And no you can't have any.

General Patten is offline Surgeon General
    mountain climbing in December... not the best idea...
    SURGEON GENERAL'S WARNING:
    Lead is very hazardous to your health.
    Always include Kevlar in your daily diet.

"I always believe in being prepared, even when I'm dressed in white tie and tails."
    - Gen. George S. Patton, Jr.

TXCOP is offline Officer First Class
    Yea, these assclowns got the top story in local news when a Ft. Worth officer was killed LOD. BULL SHIT. Oh, how I hate the media.
    "Somewhere a True Believer is training to kill you.
    He is training with minimum food or water, in austere conditions, day and night.
    The only thing clean on him is his weapon.
    He doesn't worry about what workout to do---his rucksack weighs what it weighs, and he runs until the enemy stops chasing him.
    The True Believer doesn't care "how hard it is"; he knows he either wins or he dies.
    He doesn't go home at 1700; he is home.
    He knows only the Cause.
    Now, who wants to quit?"

"I am only one, but I am one. I can not do everything, but I can do something. And because I can not do everything I will not refuse to do the something that I can do. What I can do I should do. And what I should do, by the Grace of God, I will do."

Edward Everett Hale

Beans is offline Street Cop
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by TXCOP View Post
    Yea, these assclowns got the top story in local news when a Ft. Worth officer was killed LOD. BULL SHIT. Oh, how I hate the media.
    I saw that in the ODMP and I am very sorry to hear it. I was watching a show last night on Discovery about MT. Everest and the mountain is littered with frozen bodies. People keep climbing it and dying, I don't get it. So I agree with you Nite, climbing a Mountain in Oregon in December is retarded. What do you think is going to happen?? I don't feel sorry for them.
    Sad that these dumbasses get more coverage than a down officer.
    The opinions given in my posts DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Beans" on LEF.

keith720 is online now Finely Aged
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    I'm sorry, but these guys know the risks that they are taking, and for them to risk the lives of others so they can get a thrill is a selfish move. If your "hobby" can get you killed, accept that as a consequence and don't expect someone else to bail your Dumb-Ass out.
    For the morning will come. Brightly will it shine on the brave and true, kindly upon all who suffer for the cause, glorious upon the tombs of heroes. Thus will shine the dawn.

Winston Churchill

Willowdared is offline Bendy not Breaky
    Soon to be a Lifetime movie.

I wonder how many of these guys belong to their local SAR? Probably none.
    Molly Weasley makes Chuck Norris eat his vegetables.

Do not puff, shade, skew, tailor, firm up, stretch, massage,
    or otherwise distort statements of fact.
    FBI Special Agent Coleen Rowley

Oh, I'm sure it's gonna be made into a movie. Some dude in Hollywierd is already working on it. Too bad that something like this is better movie material than the thousands of heroic acts done by cops every day.

Thread Information