Welcome to the APBWeb.
    Garda is offline Policing with nothing but a smile

Gardai lose 40000 cash.

Cash seized in drugs raid disappears from garda station
    06/01/2006 - 17:58:37

Up to €40,000 seized in a drugs raids has disappeared from a garda station, it was confirmed tonight.

The Garda Commissioner Noel Conroy has ordered an investigation into the incident at Fitzgibbon Street garda station in Dublin.

“We can confirm the disappearance of a sum of money in Fitzgibbon Street and there is an investigation ongoing in relation to that,” said a Garda spokeswoman.

The money is believed to have been seized in a drugs raid in 2003 but its disappearance only came to light this week.

A Garda superintendent is heading up the investigation into the disappearance.

Labour Party Justice spokesman Joe Costello TD said there should be a full review of the Garda procedures for storing items of evidence and cash seized from suspects.

“This is not a bicycle going astray: it is a huge some of money. We do not know if the money was stolen or simply lost, but I think that members of the public will regard is as extraordinary that there are not water-tight procedures for the secure storage of such sums of money,” he said.

Fitzgibbon Street, which is located in the shadow of Croke Park, is one of the busiest garda stations in Dublin. It has been the centre for high-profile investigations into murder of people such as Farah Swaleh Noor, the 38-year-old Somalian whose remains were found in the Royal Canal last year, and most recently the killing of 21-year-old Martin McLoughlin in Jury’s Hotel on New Year’s Day.

Mr Costello said a firearm, flack jacket and a quantity of drugs had also went missing at Fitzgibbon Street garda station in August 2003. However, this was not confirmed by gardaí.

“I believe that there should be a single designated officer in each Garda Station who would have overall responsibility for the security of items of evidence or cash seizures. This would appear to be the only way to prevent a recurrence of the Fitzgibbon St incident,” said Mr Costello.

very embarrasing, but at least it wasnt my station and Fitzgibbon Street are mostly lazy sods with a few very good officers working there. THey aint that busy either,
    Quote Originally Posted by TXCharlie
    Hey thanks Garda - I did think of you last night as I was lying in bed

Signal_W Guest
    Damn, you have the same people working at your department that we do here

Terminator is offline BANNED
    Oops

PACMAN is offline Officer
    probably the IRA again, didn't they steal all the money from the bang before?

Thread Information