Welcome to the APBWeb.
    Terminator is offline BANNED

Unhappy Lubbock Cop's career over after getting busted for drunk driving....in his patrol car

A Lubbock cop`s career is over after he was arrested for suspicion of drunk driving in his patrol car.

It was just over a year ago that 22-year-old Jacob Opperman won a fight with the city to get a spot on the Lubbock police force, but his career in law enforcement here in Lubbock was cut short on Wednesday when he decided to resign.

"I can`t explain how ecstatic I am right now, not only for myself but for the fellow recruits in here."

That was Jacob Opperman back in August 2005, when he spoke with KAMC 28 after the Lubbock Police Department made his childhood dreams come true by hiring him as a police officer.

But on December 20th, 2006, Opperman did something many of his fellow officers say they never saw coming, he resigned from the force.

Police say last Wednesday officer Opperman had the night off so he decided to drive his patrol car to join several other officers at a private house party. Witnesses say that`s where Opperman started drinking.

While he was there, someone let the air out of all four tires on his police cruiser. But Opperman left the party in the patrol car anyway and ended up at a 7-11 on 4th and Frankford.

That’s where a witness saw Opperman and called 9-1-1.

Here is a transcript of that call:

Operator: “where`s the person that claimed to be the officer driving?”
    Witness: “right here”
    Operator: “let me talk to him.”
    Suspect: “hello?”
    Operator: “is this Jacob?”
    Suspect: “Yes.”
    Operator: “what`s your papa number?”
    Suspect: “huh?”
    Operator: “what`s your papa number?”
    Suspect: “200.”
    Operator: “okay, we were just making sure it was you out there. I’ll let the officers know.”

When the officers responded to the 7-11 early last Thursday morning they arrested Opperman on suspicion of drunk driving. He bonded out of jail that same day and spent the last week on paid administrative leave before making the decision to quit.

Here’s what the department had to say about his resignation:

On December 18th, Chief Claude Jones met with Jacob Opperman. As required by law, Chief Jones gave Opperman 48 hours to deliver a written response to the disciplinary action of indefinite suspension or termination of employment. Late yesterday afternoon December 19th, Jacob Opperman submitted his resignation which was effective today, Wednesday, December 20th 2006. Jacob Opperman is no longer employed by the Lubbock Police Department.

As of right now no charges have been filed against Opperman, but the case is in the hands of District Attorney, Matt Powell. And if he decides to press charges and Opperman is convicted of drunk driving, that is a Class B misdemeanor which carries a ten year waiting period before he can work in law enforcement again.

Willowdared is offline Bendy not Breaky
    Hmmmmm....I bet there is waaaaaay more to this story!

He had to fight for his spot on the department?
    Molly Weasley makes Chuck Norris eat his vegetables.

Do not puff, shade, skew, tailor, firm up, stretch, massage,
    or otherwise distort statements of fact.
    FBI Special Agent Coleen Rowley

armygrnt502 is offline Making my streets safer, one day at a time
    Verified LEO
    Always more than what the media spews out...rubbing my chin on this one.
    "Sometimes people need a little help. Sometimes people need to be forgiven. And sometimes they need to go to jail."

TheOldRhino is offline Corporal
    He actually got caught drunk driving in his PC?

Amateur.
    The virtue of spirit has no need for thanks or approval. Only the certain conviction that what has been done is right. -Jor El, as played by Marlon Brando

Willowdared is offline Bendy not Breaky
    What I want to know is....did they flatten his tires to keep him from driving the department vehicle away? (It does say this was a party with others from his department)

Or, did they flatten his tires because they wanted to put the screws to him big time?
    Molly Weasley makes Chuck Norris eat his vegetables.

Do not puff, shade, skew, tailor, firm up, stretch, massage,
    or otherwise distort statements of fact.
    FBI Special Agent Coleen Rowley

Aegis is offline Master Officer
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Terminator
    And if he decides to press charges and Opperman is convicted of drunk driving, that is a Class B misdemeanor which carries a ten year waiting period before he can work in law enforcement again.
    Just out of curiosity, how long is the waiting period for a doctor, banker, or lawyer before they can go back to work in their fields after a 1st offense DUI?

Jackalope is offline Yell O
    I bust my ass over and over and never get hired, but they hired this retard.

Maybe the hiring process should just be reduced to a single question: If hired, will you drive your patrol car drunk?

I'd answer no. But what the hell do I know, I'm apparently unqualified to be a cop.
    "I'm not a coward,
    I've just never been tested
    I'd like to think that if I was,
    I would pass"
    ~Mighty Mighty Bosstones~

Thread Information