Welcome to the APBWeb.
    Ducky is online now Enforcer General
    Supporting Member Lvl 3

Police Department Logo Pint Glasses

If this catches on to other departments, I'm going to start a collection!

http://www.benningtonbanner.com/headlines/ci_4871345

BENNINGTON Each year during the holiday season, the Bennington Police Department works overtime to ensure the safety of drivers by increasing officer visibility and setting up DUI checkpoints in town. This year the department will continue these tried-and-true methods, but will also try something new advertising their message on pint glasses at local bars and restaurants.
    "It was my idea that we try to do something to promote highway safety," said Lt. Paul Doucette of the BPD. "One of the ways we let people know we're out there is through increased visibility. We don't want people driving impaired at all."
    The pint glasses are being distributed to

a variety of bars and restaurants around town and will be put into circulation on Friday. The 160 glasses were made by local company Catamount Glass and donated to the police force. The glasses come with four different pictures on them the BPD patch, the BPD special response team patch, the BPD K-9 logo and the BPD 150th anniversary badge logo. Doucette said the logos are there to help remind people that police are on the streets in full force during the holiday season.

"Around the holidays, people tend to drink a little more," Doucette said. "And that's OK, just as long as they have somebody to drive them home." Local restaurants
    Doucette delivered three cases of the pint glasses to Carmody's on Tuesday, and owner T.J. Carmody said he's happy to support the cause. Along with pouring drinks into the new pint glasses, Carmody said designated drivers will get free soda or coffee at the restaurant.
    "It should give awareness to people and make them pay attention a little more," Carmody said. "We're not telling people they can't have a good time, just to be more responsible."
    While the glasses are a good starting point to raise DUI awareness around town, Doucette said police officers will be out in full force between Friday and Jan. 1 to catch people who don't get the message.
    This increased visibility will take place because of a $7,500 grant the department received through the Vermont Governor's Highway Safety Program. The money will help pay for 220 hours of overtime pay for officers during the holiday season. Doucette said officers will be on the lookout for impaired drivers and speeders, along with seat belt and car seat violations.
    "The program is designed to remove impaired operators and make highways safer during the holiday season," Doucette said. "The more police that are out, the more people driving under the influence we can remove from the highways and make them safer."
    Part of the arsenal the BPD uses to catch drivers who are under the influence is sobriety checkpoints.
    "People don't always like the inconvenience of waiting in a line at the sobriety checkpoints," Doucette said. "But most people are very supportive when they come through the checkpoints."
    Doucette said the BPD arrested six operators who were under the influence during the 11-day holiday mobilization last year, and two of them were involved in crashes. He hopes the number of DUI arrests will go down this year because of the pint glass campaign, along with educational awareness that takes place year-round.
    After the holiday season, Doucette said the local bars and restaurants will continue to use the pint glasses in the hopes that DUI awareness will become a year-round issue.
    "I'm not just about going out and arresting people," Doucette said. "I'm hoping we have a very safe holiday season without any major accidents related to alcohol."
    \\
    ` ` ` ` < ` )___/\
    `` ` ` ` (3--(____)
    "...but to forget your duck, of course, means you're really screwed." - Gary Larson
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtN1YnoL46Q

Willowdared is offline Bendy not Breaky
    Cool!

Our K9 Division is selling t-shirts/mugs/shot-glasses for a fundraiser.

I got the t-shirts though.
    Molly Weasley makes Chuck Norris eat his vegetables.

Do not puff, shade, skew, tailor, firm up, stretch, massage,
    or otherwise distort statements of fact.
    FBI Special Agent Coleen Rowley

Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Quote Originally Posted by PDawg View Post
    Cool!

Our K9 Division is selling t-shirts/mugs/shot-glasses for a fundraiser.

I got the t-shirts though.
    Sweet, how much are the mugs? I've got enough t-shirts to clothe the entire forum almost, but I'm a klutz and not typically awake when getting coffee in the AM.
    \\
    ` ` ` ` < ` )___/\
    `` ` ` ` (3--(____)
    "...but to forget your duck, of course, means you're really screwed." - Gary Larson

Quote Originally Posted by Ducky View Post
    Sweet, how much are the mugs? I've got enough t-shirts to clothe the entire forum almost, but I'm a klutz and not typically awake when getting coffee in the AM.
    I'll check tomorrow and let you know.

The t-shirts were only $10, so can't be too much.

General Patten is offline Surgeon General
    those are pretty cool
    SURGEON GENERAL'S WARNING:
    Lead is very hazardous to your health.
    Always include Kevlar in your daily diet.

"I always believe in being prepared, even when I'm dressed in white tie and tails."
    - Gen. George S. Patton, Jr.

OffDuty is offline The Shotgun is Family.
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    I want one!!
    There are only two kinds of real justice left: street and poetic...

Canada, huh? Almost made it...

*DISCLAIMER*The opinions expressed here are my own delusions. My employer administraton would at best shake their heads and sigh; or at worst severely repudiate the content of these posts, should it ever manage to appear on their radar.

HudsonHawk is offline Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    I'll take two please.
    "never bring paws to a gunfight" - Jenna

Okay, they are tumblers....think of Starbucks tall coffee cups with the lid.

10 bucks

Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Quote Originally Posted by PDawg View Post
    Okay, they are tumblers....think of Starbucks tall coffee cups with the lid.

10 bucks
    Sweet! Please let me know how to go about getting one. And I'll need it shipped, too. Would that be a problem?
    \\
    ` ` ` ` < ` )___/\
    `` ` ` ` (3--(____)

Thread Information