Welcome to the APBWeb.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Virginian is offline Major
    Supporting Member Lvl 2

Security guard accidentally shoots himself

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/16313154/

A security guard shot himself in the hand Wednesday after a deputy inquired about why the guard's gun was in its holster with the hammer cocked.

Paul Melendez was on the job at the La Mexicana supermarket on Ortiz Avenue when Deputy David Scozzafava stopped in.

The deputy asked why the gun was cocked and Melendez reportedly told him it was OK, because the safety was on.

Melendez, 36, then began to pull the gun from the holster, as Scozzafava repeatedly yelled "No!", trying to get the man to leave the weapon where it was.

As he removed the gun, it went off, hitting Melendez in the hand just below the little finger on his left hand.

Deputies say Melendez suffered a cut and burns to his hand and drove himself to the hospital for treatment.

10-42Adam is offline Major
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    *Waiting for some funny responses...*
    Calm Like A Bomb...

A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity. An optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty.
    -Winston Churchill

E-man is offline No bird but dog and 3 cats
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Jewell View Post
    *Waiting for some funny responses...*
    ***Homer Simpson voice***
    A monday morning lunatic, disturbed from time to time. Temporary catatonic madman on occasion..

Lightning crashes a new mother cries, her placenta falls to the floor. The angel opens her eyes,the confusion sets in before the doctor can even close the door..
    The views and comments of E-man are mine and mine alone and therefore might not reflect the views of others or people in my current department. As such since this is still America I can post what I want without fear of retribution. I think.

RIP Eric

Ducky is offline Enforcer General
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    OK, I'm kind of gun-ignorant, but do revolvers even HAVE separate safeties?
    \\
    ` ` ` ` < ` )___/\
    `` ` ` ` (3--(____)
    "...but to forget your duck, of course, means you're really screwed." - Gary Larson
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtN1YnoL46Q

Virginian is offline Major
    Supporting Member Lvl 2
    Some do, but unless the article said it was (I didn't click the link) it may not have been a revolver.

CountyFourteen is offline Sergeant
    Verified LEO
    doh
    Any Post I make is my opinion only!
    I do not have the authority or the permission to post for my Sheriff's Office.

2525 is offline Officer First Class
    Verified LEO
    Damn. Another retard escapes being a recipient of a Darwin award.
    "The unforgivable crime is soft hitting. Do not hit at all if it can be avoided; but never hit softly."

"The pacifist is as surely a traitor to his country and to humanity as is the most brutal wrongdoer. "

“Anyone can give up, it's the easiest thing in the world to do. But to hold it together when everyone else would understand if you fell apart, that's true strength.”

Piggybank Cop is offline Nobody important.
    OUCH!

In the good book it says thou shall not mock the afflicted; they do quiet well themselves.

We are the thin blue line
    between you
    and all the money in the world.

And no you can't have any.

Crimebytes2 is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Virginian View Post
    The deputy asked why the gun was cocked and Melendez reportedly told him it was OK, because the safety was on.
    I wonder if he still feels the same?

TheOldRhino is offline Corporal
    I'm going to stand up for the security guard here. I can't argue the he wasn't a moron, so that isn't the issue. But, I do have a couple of points to make:

First, if the firearm was a 1911 model .45- those are almost always carried with the hammer back and the safety on. I believe the FBI term is "Condition 1".

Second, I've known 3 people who have shot themselves. All of them are professed "gun nuts". 2 of them are SWAT certified police officers.

Just keep those in mind before you start casting stones.
    The virtue of spirit has no need for thanks or approval. Only the certain conviction that what has been done is right. -Jor El, as played by Marlon Brando

BEK
    BEK is offline Lieutenant
    Verified LEO
    Dont matter if he knew everything he needed to know about the weapon he still didnt know enough to not unholster your weapon in a supermarket. Plus the cop was saying no. The guards lucky that he was the only one injured. Bad Security guard BAD

HardNoseBull is offline HardNoseBull
    In the immortal word of Mr.Gump, "Stupid is as Stupid does". But I know of a sheriff that shot his hand with a 9mm semi auto inside the gatehouse of a prison, you can imagine how that went over.
    Giggity giggity Goo!

Glen Quagmire,Family Guy, Pick any Episode

General Patten is offline Surgeon General
    im with BEK on this one. If he had a SA, and the safety was really on, as Rhino said, thats one thing... people carry 1911's like that all the time... but he should'nt have unholstered it in a store. If nothing else, he should've stopped what he was doing when the deputy started to yell "No" repeatedly.
    SURGEON GENERAL'S WARNING:
    Lead is very hazardous to your health.
    Always include Kevlar in your daily diet.

"I always believe in being prepared, even when I'm dressed in white tie and tails."
    - Gen. George S. Patton, Jr.

Like I said, I'm not arguing the guy is not a moron.

My main point was that before anyone start labeling security guards, that it's something that cops do too- and we should all be careful.

And just like I told my buddy when he told me the gun "accidently" went off- there was nothing "accident" about it. That gun went off right it was supposed to. It's the user that malfunctioned.
    The virtue of spirit has no need for thanks or approval. Only the certain conviction that what has been done is right. -Jor El, as played by Marlon Brando

Welpe is offline Wannabe NFL Ref
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhino View Post
    My main point was that before anyone start labeling security guards, that it's something that cops do too- and we should all be careful.
    "I'm the only one professional enough, that I know of, in this room to handle this Glock Fort...BANG!"
    "To the German commander: 'Nuts!' The American Commander" - General Tony McAuliffe, 101st Airborne Division

Jackalope is offline Yell O
    What kind of supermarket needs an armed security guard? I slept in a rest area in Florida one time and in the morning I was shocked to see an armed guard keeping watch. I always thought the debauchery that went on in rest areas was mutually consentual.

Anyway, to get , I can see how negligent discharges can happen. I had a roommate in college that fired one into the floor because he thought he cleared it but didn't realize that a loaded magazine was in it. Clearing it actually chambered a round. Now this guy isn't stupid, he just made a mistake.

The lesson in this is that nobody got shot because he was keeping the muzzle pointed in a safe direction. I think the security guard's biggest mistake was putting his hand in front of the muzzle. At least he wasn't pointing it at anyone else.
    "I'm not a coward,
    I've just never been tested
    I'd like to think that if I was,
    I would pass"
    ~Mighty Mighty Bosstones~

TXCOP is offline Officer First Class
    Most NDs happen to gun savy folks. Either a level of exhaustion or a certain degree of jaded thinking make you unsafe. It's like Nick Cage said in "The Rock" the very instant you don't respect this thing, it will kill you.

NDs can happen anytime. You must be aware of what you are doing at all times.

I hate to keep going on, but I once cranked off a round into my brothers dash board and narrowly missed my knee.
    "Somewhere a True Believer is training to kill you.
    He is training with minimum food or water, in austere conditions, day and night.
    The only thing clean on him is his weapon.
    He doesn't worry about what workout to do---his rucksack weighs what it weighs, and he runs until the enemy stops chasing him.
    The True Believer doesn't care "how hard it is"; he knows he either wins or he dies.
    He doesn't go home at 1700; he is home.
    He knows only the Cause.
    Now, who wants to quit?"

"I am only one, but I am one. I can not do everything, but I can do something. And because I can not do everything I will not refuse to do the something that I can do. What I can do I should do. And what I should do, by the Grace of God, I will do."

Edward Everett Hale

General Patten is offline Surgeon General
    Quote Originally Posted by TXCOP View Post
    It's like Nick Cage said in "The Rock" the very instant you don't respect this thing, it will kill you.
    ...I forgot that one.
    that is a good quote.
    SURGEON GENERAL'S WARNING:
    Lead is very hazardous to your health.
    Always include Kevlar in your daily diet.

"I always believe in being prepared, even when I'm dressed in white tie and tails."
    - Gen. George S. Patton, Jr.

CelticCop is offline The Dark Lord
    I don't care if it's a single action weapon or not... Carrying cocked in the holster with a round under the pin is stupidity on the order of idiocy.

You can cock the hammer on the draw as easily as you can release the safety...

Quote Originally Posted by CelticCop View Post
    I don't care if it's a single action weapon or not... Carrying cocked in the holster with a round under the pin is stupidity on the order of idiocy.

You can cock the hammer on the draw as easily as you can release the safety...
    You obviously have little experience with the 1911 model. It's regularly carried with the hammer back and the safety on. Most 1911 holsters are even designed to facilitate this.

Edit: I'll got one further and say that a man who is an experienced firearms instructor and counter sniper that lives here in GA is considered in many circles to be an expert with the 1911. He told me of an experiment he did where he took several semi-auto handguns- S&Ws, Berrettas, etc- and put them on a gun rack with the hammer back. He then took a chisel and a hammer and attempted to force the hammer down on all the models. According to him, every model failed- except for the 1911... the hammer broke off before it fell before it was supposed to.
    Last edited by TheOldRhino; 12-24-06 at 01:11 AM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information