Welcome to the APBWeb.

Thread: Officers Shot

BEK
    BEK is offline Lieutenant
    Verified LEO

Officers Shot

Dont know much information yet but the news is reporting

AMBOY, Minn. (AP) - Authorities say two police officers have been shot tonight during a standoff in Blue Earth County.

A Blue Earth County Sheriff's deputy tells the Mankato Free Press that the two officers were shot after responding to a call about a domestic dispute near Amboy -- about 20 miles south of Mankato.

Captain Rich Murry says a man has barricaded himself inside his home and a tactical response unit has set up a perimeter at the scene. The standoff is ongoing.

Murry identified one of the injured officers as Robert Sadusky -- a Mankato police officer and member of the response team. He was airlifted to Saint Mary's Hospital in Rochester.

The condition of the officers was not immediately known.

phoenixrose is offline Firebrand
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Thoughts and prayers for them, and their families.
    phoenixrose
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    If the sex scene doesn't make you want to do it - whatever it is they're doing - it hasn't been written right.~~~Sloan Wilson
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"WHAT canary?"

CelticCop is offline The Dark Lord
    I agree with PR... I want to add... GO IN AND GET THAT Sonofabitch.

Copper51 is offline Up all night
    My thoughts and prayers to the officers and their families. I say enough talking and take the suspect out.
    The statements and opinions made here are of Copper51's only. They do not reflect my department or the city I work for.
    So lay off, I'm offduty and spouting off.

Crimebytes2 is offline Banned
    Thoughts and prayers en-route!

kay88 is offline Sergeant
    Here's the article in the Free Press online:

Three shot near Amboy
    One police officer in critical condition

Dan Nienaber and Nick Hanson
    The Free Press

AMBOY —
    A domestic dispute Saturday resulted in at least two law enforcement officers and another man being shot during a standoff west of Amboy.

Capt. Rich Murry, a Blue Earth County deputy at the scene, said the standoff had not ended as of 9:30 p.m. Saturday. A tactical response team was maintaining a perimeter around a house just north of Blue Earth County Road 30 about a mile west of Highway 169, he said.

A large number of law enforcement officers remained at the scene at midnight. Law enforcement was attempting to contact the suspect by telephone, and other law enforcement officers, including a crew from the Bureau of Criminal Apprehension, were sent to the scene.

The incident started as a domestic dispute involving Jeff Skjervold and a woman, Murry said.

One of the officers injured was Robert Sadusky, a Mankato police officer and member of the tactical response team. Immanuel St. Joseph’s hospital spokesman Kevin Burns said Sadusky was airlifted to St. Marys Hospital in Rochester. He was in critical condition there at press time.

The name of the second officer had not been confirmed as of press time. During an interview with The Free Press, Skjervold said he was in the house and had been shot in the stomach. He said deputies had left the house during an exchange of gunfire.

Skjervold said a deputy entered his house while he was arguing with his wife. He said he reached for a rifle not knowing that it was a deputy who had entered. The situation escalated to the point where a Taser shocking device was used, Skjervold said. He said he was shot at that time and law enforcement left the house without him.

Murry was also at the house to talk to him, Skjervold said, a fact Murry confirmed. Gunshots were also exchanged sometime during or after that conversation and Skjervold said he believed he shot an officer in a tactical uniform in the face.

Skjervold and Murry did not say what was happening with Skjervold’s wife Saturday night.

Mervin Tonn, who lives east of Skjervold on County Road 30, said he doesn’t know his neighbor well. Tonn said he realized something was happening at the Skjervold residence at about 5 p.m. A rescue vehicle was later parked at the end of his driveway. People were not being allowed to leave the area Saturday night, Tonn said.

An ambulance was seen leaving the scene by a Free Press reporter at 7:30 p.m. Its sirens were on and it traveled north on Highway 169

An air ambulance arrived about 20 minutes later and landed on County Road 30. It remained there about three hours later.

A command post was set up at C&M Implement Inc. west of the intersection. Firefighters and other rescue squads were also at the scene. Several officers put on camouflage uniforms as they arrived.

A black panel van, police squad cars and other emergency vehicles were traveling between the command post and the house throughout the night. A Minnesota State Patrol trooper parked a squad car across County Road 30 near the Highway 169 intersection. The trooper was stopping all vehicles and making them turn around.

Mankato Director of Public Safety Jerry Huettl, contacted at Immanuel St. Joseph’s Hospital, said he could not comment on the situation.

Source:
    Three Shot near Amboy

My thoughts and prayers are also with the officers and their families.
    Life is a succession of lessons which must be lived to be understood.
    ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

jmur5074 is offline Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    We were watching this in the briefing room as I left work

The shooter was found dead in his house. I don't know if he died by police gunfire, or if it was self inflicted.

I'm now watching the news, and they're talking about calling the house, trying to talk to the guy. Apparently I was given some bad info.

I will include, the newsmedia had video of the sister talking with the suspect on the phone. SHE was upset that he wasn't thinking of his family. She never mentioned the officers that he shot. She also asked him not to let the police kill him, and asked he not kill himself. She never asked him not to shoot the police. Wow...
    Last edited by jmur5074; 12-24-06 at 09:08 AM. Reason: Bad information
    No one has greater love than this, to lay down ones life for ones friends - John 15:13

"The Wicked Flee When No Man Pursueth: But The Righteous Are Bold As A Lion".

We lucky few, we band of brothers. For he who today sheds his blood with me shall be my brother.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~
    The opinions, beliefs, and ideas expressed in this post are mine, and mine alone. They are NOT the opinions, beliefs, ideas, or policies of my Agency, Police Chief, City Council, or any member of my department.

Star Man is offline Guns only have two enemies; rust and politicians
    Verified LEO
    F'ing dirt bag

Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator

Suspect shot himself

AMBOY, Minn. (AP) - Two police officers were shot Saturday night during a standoff in Blue Earth County, authorities said.

Capt. Rich Murry, a Blue Earth County Sheriff's deputy, said the two officers were shot after responding to a call about a domestic dispute at a residence just west of Amboy - a town of 600 about 20 miles south of Mankato.

A man barricaded himself inside his home at the scene and that's when a long standoff with police began.

When law enforcement officers entered the house to talk to a man who was arguing with his wife, things escalated and gunshots were exchanged.

Around 4 a.m., officers fired tear gas into the home and that's when the suspect shot himself, family members told 5 EYEWITNESS NEWS.

One of the injured officers was identified as Robert Sadusky, a Mankato police officer and member of the response team. Sadusky was airlifted to St. Mary's Hospital in Rochester where he was listed in serious condition.

The condition of the other officer was not immediately known.

A command center was set up about a mile away from the home, with numerous state and local authorities, firefighters and medical personnel on site, and residents who live nearby were not being allowed past the perimeter.

Family members said the suspect was depressed about losing his job and that he was 'obsessed' with guns.

http://www.kstp.com/article/stories/S20859.html?cat=1 - Story

http://kstp.dayport.com/viewer/viewe...?Art_ID=171000 - Sister on the phone with the shooter
    No one has greater love than this, to lay down ones life for ones friends - John 15:13

We lucky few, we band of brothers. For he who today sheds his blood with me shall be my brother.

The opinions, beliefs, and ideas expressed in this post are mine, and mine alone. They are NOT the opinions, beliefs, ideas, or policies of my Agency, Police Chief, City Council, or any member of my department.

KaiGywer is online now *insert witty remark here*
    Verified LEO
    I've been gone for a while, but wanted to come back on.

I really hope the officer makes it through. Although I have never met any of the officers, Mankato is only 15 minutes from me, and Amboy is also about 15-20 minutes.

The other officer has been identified as Chris Nelson, 44, of the St Peter PD. Both him and Officer Sadusky were members of the River Valley Tactical Response Team. Officer Sadusky has been upgraded to serious condition and is awake and talking with family.
    Alpha Phi Sigma Alum - Alpha Delta Chapter
    ΑΦΣ

Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Officer Nelson is at home.

Officer Sadusky is in the hospital, but away and expected to recover.

Both officers wear shot in the head/face area. Officer Nelson was wearing a ballistic helmet. The, I believe St. Peter police chief credited his helmet in minimizing his injuries. Not sure if Office Sadusky was wearing a helmet. Both were members of the Emergency Response Team, or, their version of SWAT.

BEK
    BEK is offline Lieutenant
    Verified LEO
    You've heard the St. Peter Police Chief credit the SWAT team helmet for saving Officer Chris Nelson's life. We dug deeper for more on the story, to get a closer look at this piece of high tech equipment.

You've seen the pictures: officers dressed in para-military gear, trained and equipped to handle the most dangerous situations. Joe Neuberger is the commander with the St. Paul SWAT Team.

"It's very much like a sports helmet, it's got an inner head band that supports the weight," Neuberger said. "By the weave of the fabric, the cross hash of the fabric it actually traps the bullet and there's multiple layers of that fabric in there."

It's made of Kevlar, just like the vests officers wear. Neuberger says in a perfect world departments would cover their officer's head to toe in Kevlar, but that technology does not yet exist.

For now, he says, the story of the shooting in Amboy and how the helmet saved Nelson will give his officers some piece of mind as they suit up for the next assignment.

"It's reassuring to know that's ones actually been put to the test and has succeeded in doing what it was supposed to do," Neuberger said.

Being a member of the SWAT team, means being ready for just about anything.

There's special clothing, like overalls, gloves, even boots made of a fire-resistant material called No-Mex. Protective eye wear, helmets and gas masks are standard issue.

As for weapons, there's tear gas, grenades, and handguns in addition to beanbag and pepper ball guns, which injure but don't kill.

Willowdared is offline Bendy not Breaky
    Thoughts and prayers enroute for a full recovery.
    Molly Weasley makes Chuck Norris eat his vegetables.

Do not puff, shade, skew, tailor, firm up, stretch, massage,
    or otherwise distort statements of fact.
    FBI Special Agent Coleen Rowley

KaiGywer is online now *insert witty remark here*
    Verified LEO
    Fund started for wounded officer
    Robert Sadusky loses right eye

By Dylan Thomas
    The Free Press

MANKATO —
    A fund was established Wednesday for the family of Robert Sadusky, the Mankato police officer shot in the face Dec. 23 during a standoff in rural Amboy.

Sadusky, 37, underwent surgery to remove his injured right eye Wednesday at St. Marys Hospital in Rochester. A hospital spokesman said he was still listed in fair condition.

The Mankato Department of Public Safety reported Sadusky’s surgery was successful. Family members told the department Sadusky was “in good spirits and looking forward to a speedy recovery,” according to a news release.

Sadusky was shot in the face by Jeffrey Skjervold, 41, when he approached Skjervold’s rural Amboy residence during the 71⁄2-hour standoff. Skjervold apparently shot himself to death when a police tactical response team later fired tear gas into his home.

Authorities said Skjervold also shot another member of the River Valley Regional Response Team, Chris Nelson of the St. Peter Police Department. Nelson, 44, was spared serious injury by his ballistic helmet.

Sadusky was also wearing a helmet. He credited the helmet, his training and other team members with saving his life, Mankato Department of Public Safety reported.

The department reported Sadusky will need more surgeries to treat the injuries to his face. The fund will help his family with housing and transportation costs during his hospital stay, as well as future medical treatments.

Donations to the Robert Sadusky Family Fund may be made at any Wells Fargo Bank. Donations may also be mailed to:

Robert Sadusky Family Fund

Wells Fargo Bank Minnesota

206 E. Hickory St.

Mankato, MN 56001
    Mankato Free Press

Glad to hear he's gonna survive, but sucks that he lost his eye.

Thread Information