Welcome to the APBWeb.
    Standard Dave is offline Constable

Ministers 'braced for crime rise'

Plans are being considered to tackle what could be Britain's first rise in crime in 12 years if there is a decline in the economy, a leaked report shows.
    The Sunday Times said the report by Downing Street's strategy unit predicts prison numbers could increase by 25% to 100,000 within five years.
    The report suggests other strategies for fighting crime, including "chemical castration" and alcohol rationing.

No 10 said they were ideas and there would be no decision for some time.

The 60-page leaked report also criticises the police for failing to improve their performance despite large budget increases.

The report, called Policy Review: Crime, Justice and Cohesion, warns that for the first time since the 1990s, when crime rates began to fall steadily, the number of offences are predicted to start rising because of changing economic conditions.

Its other findings include that prisoners numbers are rising beyond capacity, there is no money for new prisons and that nine out of 10 crimes are either not reported or go unpunished.

'Wealth gap'

The report also points to "an increasing wealth gap" and says "the very poorest have got poorer since 1997".

The strategy unit says the government could learn from other countries, such as prescribing heroin to addicts to help cut robberies, or trying hormone injections or "chemical castration" for sex offenders.

Shadow home secretary David Davis told BBC News 24 that the report showed the prison system was "in failure, it is a system in meltdown".

He said: "We've been saying you need a hundred thousand prison places... for the last three years and the Home Office has been rigorously denying it at every turn.

"It now turns out that the government's view is that we are right, that there will be a need for 20,000 more prison places in the next five years and, of course, they're not going to have them, which has in itself real implications for crime on our streets as well."

Mr Davis said the "only way" to improve the situation was to have "enough prison places and use them properly to get these people back on the straight and narrow".

Tackling drugs

The head of the Probation Officers Association, Harry Fletcher, said a fresh approach to drugs could reduce crime.

"If the government decided to look at whether drugs could be available on the National Health Service, not only would it stop thousands and thousands of offences, it would also cut off the supply line of money to the millionaires who are currently making so much cash out of the misery it causes," he told BBC Five Live.

Greg Smith, of Tory pressure group, Conservative Way Forward, told the Nolan show on BBC Radio Five Live that the Labour government had failed to deal effectively with the problem of crime.

"I see the contents of the report - as the Sunday Times has reported it - to be typical of the current government - just want to make excuses," he said.

He said ministers were "using the economy as the scapegoat for why crime is rising when the reality is, they failed to crack down, particularly on violent crime, gun crime in this country".
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/6207313.stm

As far as I can see this is a red herring almost all crime I deal with is related to drugs or alcohol not many people truly turn to crime to support families etc (unless the whole family is on crack).

Piggybank Cop is offline Nobody important.
    "Plans are being considered to tackle what could be Britain's first rise in crime in 12 years if there is a decline in the economy, a leaked report shows."

England has worst crime rate in world
    By David Bamber, Home Affairs Correspondent
    Last Updated: 1:05am GMT 01/12/2002

England and Wales have the highest crime rate among the world's leading economies, according to a new report by the United Nations.

The survey, which is likely to prove embarrassing to David Blunkett, the Home Secretary. shows that people are more likely to be mugged, burgled, robbed or assaulted here than in America, Germany, Russia, South Africa or any other of the world's 20 largest nations. Only the Dominican Republic, New Zealand and Finland have higher crime rates than England and Wales.

According to the comparison of international crime statistics produced by the UN's Office for Drug Control and Crime Prevention, England and Wales had 9,766 crimes for every 100,000 people in the year 2000. America had 8,517, South Africa 7,997, Germany 7,621 and Russia 2,022.

During the period 1998-2000, Britain went from fifth to fourth worst in the world league table. An analysis of total recorded crime figures before 1998 also suggests that England and Wales have moved sharply up the league table since Labour came to power in 1997. Crimes fell from 5.5 million in 1993 to 4.5 million in 1997. By 1999, total crimes had risen again to 5.3 million.

Last night Oliver Letwin, the shadow home secretary, said: "This does rather blow a hole in David Blunkett's claim that New Labour has crime under control. It is a damning picture."

The UN reports also shows that England and Wales are the second-worst places in the world for assaults, with 851 people assaulted per 100,000, and seventh for burglaries and car theft, with 1,579 burglaries per 100,000 population.

Criminologists believe that a note of caution needs to be introduced into analysis of the data, because of the different ways in which UN member countries record crimes.

A Home Office spokesman said that officials had not yet seen the report and so could not comment.
    We are the thin blue line
    between you
    and all the money in the world.

And no you can't have any.

Motorwaycop is offline Retired Plod
    Supporting Member Lvl 2
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    You have to remeber that things such as a person "staring in a menacing way" get recorded as an assault if the offender is known as that can be shown as a solved crime.

"lies,lies and damned statistics!"
    the sole advantage of power is that you can do more good.
    ( Baltasar Gracian )

Trojan 42 is offline Retired Ninja
    Verified LEO
    See, I retire and it all goes to rat shit! But I don't believe the UK can be worse than South Africa for crime, or the US come to think on it.
    To be born an Englishman, is to be a winner in the Lottery of Life.

I've Talked the Talk and I've Walked the Walk, now I Sit the Sit!

It's not until you look at an Ant through a magnifying glass on a sunny day, that you realise just how often they burst into flames for no reason!

Jackalope is offline Yell O
    The crime rate in the United States is lower than that of Britain in most categories.

Nice try, though.

http://www.ojp.usdoj.gov/bjs/pub/html/cjusew96/crvs.htm
    "I'm not a coward,
    I've just never been tested
    I'd like to think that if I was,
    I would pass"
    ~Mighty Mighty Bosstones~

Trojan 42 is offline Retired Ninja
    Verified LEO
    Doesn't show the Murder rate though does it? And I would guess that the real figures would be worse in the US if you only picked the cities and discounted the rural areas. The fact that so many live in such a small area in the UK make the figures appear worse.
    To be born an Englishman, is to be a winner in the Lottery of Life.

I've Talked the Talk and I've Walked the Walk, now I Sit the Sit!

It's not until you look at an Ant through a magnifying glass on a sunny day, that you realise just how often they burst into flames for no reason!

Thread Information