TXCharlie is offline Former & Future Reserve Officer

Talking Atlanta Area Gets Dallas' Reject Chief

Norm, have fun with this guy...

Bolton takes chief's post in Atlanta area
    http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcont...1.3dc2ca6.html

Former head of Dallas police was fired 3 years ago in wake of scandal

12:00 AM CST on Saturday, December 23, 2006
    By JASON TRAHAN / The Dallas Morning News

More than three years after he was fired in a cloud of controversy as Dallas' first black police chief, Terrell Bolton has been selected to head a county police department near Atlanta.

Mr. Bolton, 48, will take office as police chief of the DeKalb County Police Department in mid-January. His salary as leader of the 1,100-officer force, which serves about 680,000 residents of unincorporated DeKalb County, will be about $145,000.

"He was the best qualified and had an impeccable record," said Vernon Jones, DeKalb County's chief executive officer, who announced Mr. Bolton's hiring Friday afternoon. [Impeccable record???]

"I come in with my eyes open and my heart ready," Mr. Bolton was quoted as saying Friday by The Atlanta Journal-Constitution. "Community policing and community relations will be the centerpiece of how we operate."

Mr. Jones added Mr. Bolton in November to a list of four finalists for the DeKalb chief's job. However, the former Dallas chief quickly emerged as Mr. Jones' favorite.

At the time, Mr. Jones told the local newspaper he was unconcerned with the extensive coverage Mr. Bolton's foibles garnered in the Dallas media during his four years as chief, declaring it as useful as a "hog with lips" and politically motivated.

Mr. Bolton has similarly characterized the charges of his critics, who have been busy in recent years cataloging problems during his tenure.

Among them were the millions of dollars the city was forced to pay to command staff members Mr. Bolton improperly demoted after he was hired as police chief in 1999; the 2001 scandal in which crooked narcotics detectives and their informants planted fake drugs on immigrants; the recycling of failed police academy recruits, some of whom were fired later for misconduct on the job; and the allegations of cronyism after he promoted several of his close friends and allies to high-ranking command staff positions. [yeah, speaking of the Fake Drug Scandal - What kind of Chief allows multiple drug trials to go forward without a lab test??? Ditto for the D.A., who also lost his job. The massive drug siezure was actually several hundred pounds of pool chalk!!!]

Senior Cpl. Glenn White, president of Dallas' largest police organization, the Dallas Police Association, said it was this last act that created the most trouble for Mr. Bolton here.

"Deep down, I think Bolton was a well-meaning guy, and it's unfortunate that he selected a lot of people to run the department who were incompetent and who contributed to his downfall," Cpl. White said. "I think he learned that when you come into a department, you don't run off experienced, high-ranking people. You need those people more than ever." [Amen, Glenn White - Since I rolled into Dallas in 1979, I've learned that when Glenn White speaks, listen - It's always the truth, and he always makes more sense than just about any other Dallas official I've heard. One of those experienced people Bolton fired is now Chief of McKinney.]

On Friday, Mr. Jones said he feels even more strongly that criticisms of Mr. Bolton were overblown after the decision two weeks ago by the 5th Circuit Court of Appeals.

The court determined that Mr. Bolton's wrongful termination suit should be heard by a federal judge after ruling that the city should have offered Mr. Bolton his old sergeant's job back when he was fired in 2003.

"I have yet to find anyone that can give me any documentation that said he was fired with cause," Mr. Jones said.

Mr. Jones said that while he was considering hiring Dallas' former chief, he called Mayor Laura Miller seeking her input.

"She never returned my call," Mr. Jones said. ." [Probably because she was too busy laughing at your "Impeccable record" statement (above). Mayor Miller was one of the prime leaders who pushed the City Manager into firing Bolton, and was publically very critical of him, so all Jones had to do was search the Dallas Morning News archives. Seriously, she probably ducked the call on the City Attorney's advice, since Bolton is suing Dallas (just a wild guess). ]

Meranda Carter Cohn, the mayor's acting chief of staff and spokeswoman, said the mayor did not purposely duck the call. Instead, miscommunication resulted in her believing Mr. Jones' call was a news media inquiry and Ms. Miller has been careful not to comment on her former nemesis's job prospects.

On Friday, Ms. Miller again declined to comment on Mr. Bolton's new job.
    Last edited by TXCharlie; 12-28-06 at 04:37 PM. Reason: Atlanta Area

(\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
    (")_(") signature to help him gain world domination.

TheOldRhino is offline Corporal
    Atlanta is a political cesspool. The sad part is, he probably was the best candidate.
    The virtue of spirit has no need for thanks or approval. Only the certain conviction that what has been done is right. -Jor El, as played by Marlon Brando

Norm357 is offline Corporal
    Supporting Member Lvl 2
    Dekalb county is not Atlanta. Buy a map.
    dlefdal said:
    Ummmm, what if I don't like thumbs in my butt?

TheOldRhino is offline Corporal
    Quote Originally Posted by Norm357 View Post
    Actually, some of Atlanta goes into DeKalb. But yes, the city is seated in Fulton County.
    The virtue of spirit has no need for thanks or approval. Only the certain conviction that what has been done is right. -Jor El, as played by Marlon Brando

TXCharlie is offline Former & Future Reserve Officer
    Quote Originally Posted by Norm357 View Post
    Oops

(\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
    (")_(") signature to help him gain world domination.

Does it freakin matter where its at? By the way wasn't it DeKalb County's last Sheriff/Chief suspected of murder? Might be wrong but I agree that whole area is dominated by race driven politics that do nothing but waste money, let the city and counties go to hell and drive alot of good cops away not to mention the disservice to the honest and even not so honest citizens. Just saying!
    Si vis pacem, para bellum

And in case you don't speak Latin.......If you want peace, prepare for war.

I've been places, seen and done things that would make most cry. I've fought along side and against better men then most I come across day to day, i've put my life on the line more then once for things you take for granted and for those you have lost respect for. I don't tell you this for your pity or respect but for you to remember me.

1*girl Guest
    Something told me it'd be DeKalb before I even got to that part...I guess it was the "More than three years after he was fired in a cloud of controversy" that did it.

Thread Information