Welcome to the APBWeb.
    Terminator is offline BANNED

Deputy who arrested Mel Gibson claims his agency is harassing him

The sheriff's deputy who arrested Mel Gibson for drunken driving six months ago says his superiors have harassed him ever since a report detailing the star's anti-Semitic tirade was leaked to a celebrity news Web site.

Deputy James Mee was transferred to another assignment, interrogated for several hours, and investigators seized a computer and phone records during a search of his home, his attorney told the Los Angeles Times for its Thursday editions.

"His life and career would be a lot different had he not made that arrest," attorney Richard Shinee said.

Neal Tyler, a division chief who oversees the sheriff's office where Gibson was booked, denied that Mee was singled out and said he didn't know of any problems with Mee's treatment.

He declined to discuss Mee's specific complaints because of confidentiality rules, but he said, "I disagree with the assessment that personnel in the department or at the station have been relating to him or supervising him in an unfair manner."

Mee arrested Gibson July 29 in Malibu on suspicion of driving under the influence of alcohol. An arrest report signed by Mee and posted on the celebrity news Web site TMZ said Gibson was belligerent and quoted him as saying: "The Jews are responsible for all the wars in the world."

The actor-director later apologized to the Jewish community and pleaded no contest to a misdemeanor charge of drunken driving.

After Gibson's much-publicized arrest, investigations were opened into whether Gibson received preferential treatment, and into who leaked Mee's report to TMZ.

"My client has denied he gave the report to anyone," Shinee said.

Star Man is offline Guns only have two enemies; rust and politicians
    Verified LEO
    Looks like the Deputy was the only one to see Mel as a citizen not exempt from DUI laws. The rest of the chain apparently sees it differently. They want to punish the guy for not bowing to celebrity power.

So Fla Cop is offline Trunk Monkey Supporter
    Verified LEO
    How about if he arrested him for profit? How about if he DID leak the report and information to the media? Would that change things?
    September 11, 2001 - All gave some, some gave all. Never forget -- Never forgive.......... RIP Brothers and Sisters.

sgtbambam is offline Sergeant
    Well there should be a investigation into what happened but the Deputy should not be unfairly treated! If it's found that he did leak the info and if it was in violation of departmental rules/regs then he'll "pay" for it I'm sure.
    -"Courage is being scared to death - but saddling up anyway."

-“Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.”

John Wayne

R.I.P. Officer Larry Cox

Star Man is offline Guns only have two enemies; rust and politicians
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by So Fla Cop View Post
    How about if he arrested him for profit? How about if he DID leak the report and information to the media? Would that change things?
    Mel plead out so apparently he was DUI. If not he has enough money to quash the case with motion after motion.

If the report was leaked, it was public record anyway. The only thing is the Deputy MAY have violated Dept policy if he leaked it. If so then he gets his counseling and let him get back to work.

BEB
    BEB is offline Banned
    This reminded me of a question I have for y'all about fiction and reality.
    No deep dark question

In a great many detective novels there's the gruff, but lovable retired cop who keeps copies of all the cases he's worked. You know the character.

Not talking his notes, rather all documents and reports related to the case. I would think in this modern age of HIPAA regulations and such that'd be against some rules. But is it?

Maybe I should save up a bunch of dimestore detective questions and start a thread about them

MonsterMash is offline Proud 3%er
    Quote Originally Posted by Terminator View Post
    and investigators seized a computer and phone records during a search of his home
    OMG they better hope they have an actual case. If not, I'd sue the fuck out of the dept.
    Are you a 3%er? If you aren't, you should be.

TheOldRhino is offline Corporal
    Quote Originally Posted by BugEyedBeast View Post
    Not talking his notes, rather all documents and reports related to the case. I would think in this modern age of HIPAA regulations and such that'd be against some rules. But is it?
    Not as far as I know. The only exception I could possibly see is information relating to juveniles. Most everything else (other than NCIC printouts) are a matter of a public record.
    The virtue of spirit has no need for thanks or approval. Only the certain conviction that what has been done is right. -Jor El, as played by Marlon Brando

Detective7653 is offline Police Detective
    I dont know the laws in California but I believe all police reports are public record anyway. So what does it matter who leaked the report.
    Greater love has no one than this, that he lay down his life for his friend. John 15:13

Crimebytes2 is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Terminator
    "My client has denied he gave the report to anyone," Shinee said.
    My question is what did he hope to gain by leaking the report if he did in fact leak it? Public record is just that... public. The officer, knowing this, wouldn't have to go to any great lengths to get it out there. Why would he want to risk his career including the embarrassment of himself and his department?

Thread Information