Welcome to the APBWeb.
    Terminator is offline BANNED

The Indianapolis Metropolitan Police Department has been born

Indianapolis' transition to a consolidated metropolitan police force went relatively smoothly on Thursday morning, the first unofficial day of the merger between the Indianapolis Police Department and Marion County Sheriff's Department.

Although the merger doesn't officially happen until Jan. 1, officials wanted to begin the transition a few days ahead of time to iron out any remaining kinks, 6News' Jack Rinehart reported.

A major concern in the consolidation process was how two very different departments, both more than 100 years old, would mesh.

The switch was made at 5:30 a.m. with the first roll call for the new Indianapolis Metropolitan Police Department. IPD officers were still clad in blue and sheriff's deputies were wearing brown. Officers have been issued their new gray uniforms, but will wait until Jan. 1 to begin wearing them. All officers now use the same radio system, too.

Mayor Bart Peterson's office said that a consolidated department will save taxpayers $9 million a year, put more officers on the streets and lead to better law enforcement.

Some, including members of the law enforcement community, said Peterson's claims are, for now, unproven.

"The only way it can work is for officers to be able to go out and do their job and do their job properly and professionally, the way they always have," said Fraternal Order of Police President Aaron Sullivan. "What we hope doesn't get in the way is all the administrative problems that come with the merger."

Officers learned new methods and took on new policing districts on the first day of the merged department. Officers have much to learn about each other as they try to blend the cultures of two departments.

"Everybody starts off with a clean slate. I have not looked into one person's file as to awards you've received or the discipline you've received. Give me that same shot," Maj. William Benjamin told officers at roll call.

Several vehicles with the new black and gray look are already on the street, but some cruisers still have the old look of their respective departments.

Officials hope the transition is something that won't even be noticeable to the public.

"The biggest challenges for us are the things that the public doesn't see," said IMPD Maj. Paul Ciesielski. "Building-wise ... we're still hooking up phones and computers, so all that stuff will not be 100 percent operational, but the officers themselves will be 100 percent ready to go."

Star Man is offline Guns only have two enemies; rust and politicians
    Verified LEO
    I wish we would go metro here too. We have some 12 or so different departments in my county.

So Fla Cop is offline Trunk Monkey Supporter
    Verified LEO
    Any pics of the new paint jobs?
    September 11, 2001 - All gave some, some gave all. Never forget -- Never forgive.......... RIP Brothers and Sisters.

Jackalope is offline Yell O
    Is the new department going to be headed by an elected sheriff, or an appointed chief?

I think law enforcement works better when the HMFIC is directly accountable to the citizens, and not to some idiot politicians that know nothing about law enforcement.
    "I'm not a coward,
    I've just never been tested
    I'd like to think that if I was,
    I would pass"
    ~Mighty Mighty Bosstones~

Star Man is offline Guns only have two enemies; rust and politicians
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Jackalope View Post
    Is the new department going to be headed by an elected sheriff, or an appointed chief?

I think law enforcement works better when the HMFIC is directly accountable to the citizens, and not to some idiot politicians that know nothing about law enforcement.

+1

Tennsix is offline Officer First Class
    Quote Originally Posted by Jackalope View Post

The appointed police chief reports to the elected Sheriff. In this case, the Sheriif is a career LEO. He served with the Marion County Sheriff's Department before being appointed U.S. Marshal for Indiana's southern district.
    Last edited by Tennsix; 12-29-06 at 06:14 AM.
    "We're the Bundys, we don't call the police. People call the police on us".
    -Peg Bundy

Tennsix is offline Officer First Class
    Quote Originally Posted by So Fla Cop View Post
    Any pics of the new paint jobs?
    http://policemerger.indygov.org/story/2/?as
    "We're the Bundys, we don't call the police. People call the police on us".
    -Peg Bundy

Thread Information