Andrewtx is offline A little bit of soul

N.Y. Times Editor-Reporter Dies After Attack in NW DC

N.Y. Times Editor-Reporter Dies After Attack in NW
    Police Searching for Clues in Robbery

By Martin Weil and Allan Lengel
    Washington Post Staff Writers
    Monday, January 9, 2006; B01

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...801179_pf.html

David E. Rosenbaum, a longtime editor and reporter in the Washington bureau of the New York Times, died yesterday after being beaten and robbed Friday night near his home in upper Northwest Washington.

Rosenbaum, 63, died at 7:10 p.m. at Howard University Hospital, where he was treated for a head injury suffered during the attack on Gramercy Street NW, said Philip Taubman, chief of the Times's Washington bureau.

Doctors had operated on Rosenbaum on Saturday to relieve pressure on his brain.

D.C. police were canvassing the neighborhood yesterday for clues in the attack, which occurred in a quiet section between Connecticut and Wisconsin avenues. No arrests had been made.

"David was one of the most accomplished journalists of his generation in Washington," Taubman said last night.

"He could do anything, and he did so many things brilliantly," Taubman said. "He was an all-time great, versatile reporter who could tackle any subject" and wrote about the most abstruse matters, particularly in financial areas, with "remarkable lucidity, speed" and sophistication.

Rosenbaum joined the Washington bureau in 1968 and, with the exception of three years as an editor in New York, had spent his entire Times career there. He retired late last month but was to continue contributing to the Times.

After leaving his house Friday night for a walk to get some fresh air, Rosenbaum was found by a neighbor about 9:30 p.m. in the 3800 block of Gramercy, a one-block street in an upscale neighborhood about a half-mile south of the Montgomery County border.

Little was known about the circumstances of the assault and robbery.

Police said earlier that two men had been seen getting into an automobile and leaving the area about the time of the attack.

Police said Rosenbaum's wallet was taken, and his brother, Marcus, said the family received a call Saturday indicating that an effort had been made to use a credit card belonging to Rosenbaum.

Rosenbaum's survivors include his wife, two children and two grandchildren.

The area where the attack occurred is one of the safest in the city. Street robberies have been reported there occasionally, but homicides and other violent incidents are all but unknown.

Police said last night that they were treating Rosenbaum's death as a homicide, pending an autopsy.

"It's a remarkably safe neighborhood, or it feels that way . . . until now," said Peter Bass, who lives on Gramercy.

On his street and on adjacent streets of single-family homes, "everybody's comings and goings are noticed," Bass said.

In recent years, he said, many of the houses on the tree-lined streets have been sold by longtime residents to younger couples with growing families.

"We have very small children. We'll have our guard up even more, use our alarms more religiously," Bass said.

Karen and Mitchell Strickler, who moved last year after living on Gramercy for more than 30 years, expressed surprise at the news.

It was a neighborhood, Mitchell Strickler said, where people often did not feel the need to lock their houses. "There was no fear of things," he said.

Rosenbaum was known as a mentor to younger reporters and taught and lectured at Dartmouth College, his alma mater, as well as Stanford University and other colleges and universities.

He was a native of Miami and grew up in Tampa. He worked for the St. Petersburg Times in Florida and Congressional Quarterly in Washington before joining the New York Times.

Among the stories he covered were the Senate Watergate hearings, the Iran-contra affair and budget and tax debates between the White House and Congress.

Rosenbaum's work also was focused on national politics; he directed Times coverage of the New Hampshire primaries in the last three presidential election years and continued to be active in covering the 2004 general election campaign.

In the past year, he had covered Social Security restructuring proposals.

Like the article said, this happened in one of the safest areas of the city. Definitely a reminder to me and hopefully everyone in that area that violent crime can and will happen anywhere. I know I've been a little too complacent at times. Sad and scary.

TXCharlie is offline Former & Future Reserve Officer
    Attacks can occur in the safest places on earth because bad people travel through them too - But in Washington DC's case, it's nowhere near the safest place on Earth.

The fact that they have street robberies in the safest part of town is a clue that it's not really a safe place to be walking around by yourself

Those DC communists not only ban guns, but also make it a crime to own a non-lethal Taser or stun gun, and make you register your pepper spray. If that reporter had a Glock in his waistband he may be alive today.

What are the defenseless little ol' gramdmas supposed to do to defend themselves in a shithole like Washington DC?

(\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
    (")_(") signature to help him gain world domination.

Terminator is offline BANNED
    Washington DC sucks ass...just ask one of their fearless park rangers.

jmur5074 is offline Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Well, going with the safest place no earth idea, obvoisuly no place is safe. Granted, going to church, elementary school, or a hospital (places with expected safety standards) you feel as if you are not going to be a victim of crime. But it really can happen anywhere. I get a lot of crap from people for carrying off duty. But I'll be damned if you ever catch me without my gun when I'm outside of my house. Whether I'm at church, an elemntary school, or a hospital, my gun is on my hip.

I work in a town of around 3,500 people, and my town is the unfortunate owner of the ONLY LEO murder in my county. Cops have died in this cuonty before, but the only one to ever be murdered, was in a town of less than 3500 people. Crime is everywhere. And it rears it's ugly head sometimes when, and where you least expect it.
    No one has greater love than this, to lay down ones life for ones friends - John 15:13

"The Wicked Flee When No Man Pursueth: But The Righteous Are Bold As A Lion".

We lucky few, we band of brothers. For he who today sheds his blood with me shall be my brother.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~
    The opinions, beliefs, and ideas expressed in this post are mine, and mine alone. They are NOT the opinions, beliefs, ideas, or policies of my Agency, Police Chief, City Council, or any member of my department.

Quote Originally Posted by Terminator
    Washington DC sucks ass...
    Tell us what you REALLY think

(\__/)

Quote Originally Posted by jmur5074
    I'll be damned if you ever catch me without my gun when I'm outside of my house. Whether I'm at church...
    Yeah, I agree - the Dallas area has had some of its worst murders (even multiple murders) at places like churches, hospitals, and cafeterias.

The latest church murder was late last year, and of course the multiple murders at Luby's Cafeteria in Killeen prompted Dr. Suzanna Hupp to run for State Represenative and write some of Texas' first CHL laws (she had witnessed her parents pleading for their lives in front of her, but was helpless to save them, because she'd left her gun in her car because it would have been illegal to carry it into the cafeteria at the time - She vowed that she would never be put in such a helpless position again). SHe's still in the House, and still tearing down more barriers for CHL holders, the most signifiant of which was to force State law to override municipal bans on guns in municipal buildings (except buildings with courts and jails).

So you just never know!
    Last edited by TXCharlie; 01-10-06 at 01:34 AM.

(\__/)

Response Time Questioned in Reporter's Death

WASHINGTON - Global positioning system information will determine whether another ambulance could have responded quicker in the case of New York Times reporter David Rosenbaum.

While that information could be available as early as Tuesday, questions are now being raised about whether first responders realized Rosenbaum had been attacked.

He was found Friday night in the Northwest neighborhood where he lived. He apparently had been hit in the head. He died two days later at the hospital.

The man who found Rosenbaum tells WTOP he and his wife thought Rosenbaum had had a stroke or heart attack.

After they called 911, a firetruck with a medic onboard got there within minutes. But it took an ambulance dispatched from Providence Hospital in Northeast 22 minutes to respond to the scene.

First responders quickly ruled out a stroke or seizure, the neighbor says.

Rosenbaum, who was groaning, couldn't respond to questions but did try to get up and wouldn't initially allow an oxygen mask to placed on his face, the witness says.

The neighbor says he never heard first responders raise the possibility that Rosenbaum had been attacked.

A review is underway to determine whether first responders responded properly.

"We are doing everything in our power to figure out what exactly happened," says D.C. Fire and EMS spokesman Alan Etter. "Keep in mind there are at least two violent offenders who are at large."

Etter says because an investigation is underway, 911 tapes of the incident will not be released right away.

Police say they were delayed in looking for Rosenbaum's attackers because they first believed he might have had a stroke or seizure.

Now they have a lookout for a dark-colored, two-door vehicle that may be linked to the killing. It's not know what state in which the car was registered, but it's believed the license plate included the numbers 516.

Authorities also want to talk to anyone who may have seen or heard anything between 9 p.m. and 9:30 p.m. Friday in the 3900 block of Gramercy Street, NW. If you have information, call (202) 727-9099.

Terminator is offline BANNED
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrewtx
    N.Y. Times Editor-Reporter Dies After Attack in NW

It could have been worse.....it could have been a reporter from the N.Y. Post!

Update: Two suspects arrested. Note the emphasized part below

2nd Man Arrested In Journalist's Killing
    First Suspect Claims Role Only in Robbery

By Henri E. Cauvin and Michael Alison Chandler
    Washington Post Staff Writers
    Saturday, January 14, 2006; B01

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...301985_pf.html

A second man was arrested last night in the killing of David E. Rosenbaum, the reporter and editor who was fatally beaten during a robbery in a quiet upper Northwest Washington neighborhood.

Police said the second suspect, Percey Jordan Jr., 42, is a cousin of the man arrested earlier, Michael C. Hamlin, 23.

An investigator said in charging papers filed in court yesterday that Hamlin told police that he took Rosenbaum's wallet in the Jan. 6 attack and that an accomplice struck the retired New York Times journalist with a steel pipe. However, police declined last night to say anything about the second suspect's role.

The circumstances of Jordan's arrest were similar to those of Hamlin's arrest Thursday. An investigator said Jordan, of no fixed address, went to the 7th Police District station about 2 p.m. yesterday, "inquiring about the incident involving" Rosenbaum.

Jordan, described as unemployed, was taken to the police violent crime unit and, after further interviewing and investigation, was arrested and charged with felony murder, police said. Hamlin's arrest also came after he went to a police station. He asked why his picture had been on television earlier that day, police said. The picture came from surveillance video from a store where one of Rosenbaum's credit cards had been used.

It remained unclear last night why either man approached police. Sgt. John Johnson of the violent crimes unit speculated that they might have hoped to "offer something that would throw us off the trail."

According to charging papers against Hamlin, he originally had denied any part in the attack. But under further questioning, he admitted to using Rosenbaum's credit cards and to participating in the robbery, the documents said.

Yesterday morning, hundreds of mourners converged on Capitol Hill for a memorial service for Rosenbaum, who spent more than three decades at the Times, almost all of them in the paper's Washington bureau.

Known for his illuminating coverage of such complicated subjects as the federal budget and Social Security, Rosenbaum was saluted in the Dirksen Senate Office Building by those he worked with and covered, including former senator David H. Pryor (D-Ark.).

Little was said about the killing, which occurred shortly after 9 p.m. on Gramercy Street NW, just a couple of blocks from Rosenbaum's home, as he took an after-dinner stroll. Within minutes of the attack, his credit card was used at a nearby gas station.

Assistant U.S. Attorney Amanda Haines, who called the killing one of the most vicious crimes in the District in recent memory, yesterday asked Magistrate Judge Janet Albert to hold Hamlin without bond, which the judge did.

During his court appearance, Hamlin stood silently at the side of his attorney, Stephen Mercer, who asserted that Hamlin is not guilty of the murder charge.

Relatives watched the hearing and one shouted, "I love you, Mike," as he entered and exited the courtroom.

A driver for the waste hauler Browning-Ferris Industries, Hamlin lives with his mother in an apartment on Alabama Avenue SE, near the police station he went to Thursday.

Hamlin was convicted of robbery in 2002 in Prince George's County and sentenced to a year in jail, but all but three days of the sentence were suspended, according to court records and a report compiled by the D.C. Pretrial Service Agency.

Neighbors said he had moved in with his mother about a year ago, several months after she moved there.

Thomas Williams, the resident manager, said Hamlin had never caused trouble. "He's a pretty small guy," Williams said. "I can't see him beating somebody."

Inquiries into the handling of the attack continue. Initially, police and emergency medical technicians did not realize that Rosenbaum had been attacked. No life-threatening conditions were detected, according to fire and emergency medical services officials.

As a result, Rosenbaum did not receive immediate care for his severe head trauma. Criminal investigation was also delayed.

At Howard University Hospital, Rosenbaum was not treated initially as an urgent case, and the D.C. Department of Health has been asked to assess his care there.

Staff writers Del Quentin Wilber and Martin Weil and staff researchers Bobbye Pratt and Meg Smith contributed to this report.

I saw that report on TV - What a moron!

That reminds me of one of the "Takeover Bandits", which I'm sure most of you on the US has heard about. A group of 3 bank robbers who ran down the streets of Plano, TX, disabling at least 5 police cars with full-auto AK-47 fire. They got clean away.

THEN - One of the robbers shows up a few days later at a Lubbock-area police station, telling police that his sketch on TV was a case of mistaken identity (little did he know, the police had one of his fingerprints where he left it in a Chinese Restaurant next door to the bank).

The bandits had not eaten at the restaurant - They raided the restaurant by mistake, because they went in the wrong door. As they left the restaurant for the bank next door, the guy had left a fingerprint.

The group got away with 60 bank robberies, though, without killing anyone - Pretty impressive actually, considering their finaly with the AK-47's.

(\__/)

Thread Information