Welcome to the APBWeb.
    Piggybank Cop is offline Nobody important.

Bush to skeptics: What's your plan?

‘To oppose everything while proposing nothing is irresponsible,’ he says
    The Associated Press
    Updated: 5:38 p.m. ET Jan 13, 2007

WASHINGTON - President Bush on Saturday challenged lawmakers skeptical of his new Iraq plan to propose their own strategy for stopping the violence in Baghdad.

“To oppose everything while proposing nothing is irresponsible,” Bush said.

In a pitch to lawmakers and the American people, Bush said the United States will keep the onus on the Iraqi government to take charge of security and reach a political reconciliation. He countered Democrats and his fellow Republicans who argue that Bush is sending 21,500 more U.S. troops into Iraq on the same mission.

“We have a new strategy with a new mission: Helping secure the population, especially in Baghdad,” Bush said in his weekly radio address. “Our plan puts Iraqis in the lead.”

Bush meets with GOP leaders
    The president, who hosted an informal, mostly social gathering of Republican leaders at Camp David on Friday night and Saturday, asked for patience from lawmakers from both parties. They had grilled Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice, Defense Secretary Robert Gates and Gen. Peter Pace, chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, last week when the officials testified before Congress in defense of the president’s plan.

“Obviously, the need to secure Baghdad and strengthen an ally in the war on terror was among the items we discussed,” Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell, R-Ky., said Saturday about the discussions the lawmakers had with Bush at Camp David. “But we also discussed the need to find bold solutions for other big issues.”

Democratic leaders in the House and Senate intend to hold votes within a few weeks on Bush’s revised Iraq policy. The nonbinding resolutions would be one way to show their opposition to any troop buildup and force Republicans to make a choice about whether they support the president’s plan.

Critics urge diplomacy over more troops
    Rep. Tim Walz, D-Minn., said that he, along with most Democrats and an increasing number of Republicans, believe sending more troops compounds a bad situation. Walz, a veteran of the war in Afghanistan, said diplomatic and political solutions are needed, not more troops.

“Before moving forward with this escalation, we owe it to these troops, to their families, and to all Americans to ask the tough questions and demand honest answers about this policy,” Walz said in the Democrats’ Saturday radio address.

“Is there a clear strategy that the commanders on the ground believe will succeed?” Walz said. “What are the benchmarks for success, and how long does the president believe it will take to achieve them? Is this a policy that will contribute to the America’s security in the larger war on terror, or distract from it?”

Bush said lawmakers “have a right to express their views, and express them forcefully. But those who refuse to give this plan a chance to work have an obligation to offer an alternative that has a better chance for success.”

He said Iraqi Prime Minister Nouri al-Maliki has pledged that political sectarian interference with security operations will not be tolerated.

Bush says Iraqis must fulfill their promises
    The president also said the United States will hold the Iraqi government to its pledge to take responsibility for security in all of Iraq’s provinces by November, pass legislation to share oil revenues among all Iraqis and spend $10 billion of its own money on reconstruction that will create new jobs.

“The Iraqi government knows that it must meet them, or lose the support of the Iraqi and the American people,” Bush said.

Bush has criticized the way the al-Maliki government handled the Dec. 30 hanging of Saddam Hussein. Bush saw part of the Internet-aired cell phone video of the execution, which showed some Iraqis taunting Saddam as he stood with a noose around his neck on the gallows.

“I thought it was discouraging,” Bush said in an interview with “60 Minutes” to be broadcast on Sunday. “They could have handled it a lot better.”
    We are the thin blue line
    between you
    and all the money in the world.

And no you can't have any.

Jackalope is offline Yell O
    The left does have a plan.... to come up with a warm and fuzzy name for cutting and running.
    "I'm not a coward,
    I've just never been tested
    I'd like to think that if I was,
    I would pass"
    ~Mighty Mighty Bosstones~

BEB
    BEB is offline Banned
    Bush says Iraqis must fulfill their promises
    The president also said the United States will hold the Iraqi government to its pledge to take responsibility for security in all of Iraq’s provinces by November, pass legislation to share oil revenues among all Iraqis and spend $10 billion of its own money on reconstruction that will create new jobs.
    That oil revenue sharing part makes me shudder, but the next bit is, to my mind, critical. Call it winning hearts and minds, call it keeping the disgruntled busy or whatever you choose. I don't care if it's Haliburton or McDonalds coming in to rebuild - both are wrong headed.

I remember a few years ago when there was a plan to send garbage trucks to Iraq. Great idea at the start. Not only does garbage pickup give employment to locals, it reduces filth in the streets, improves people's daily lives and leaves less trash around to hide IEDs in.

And then the political wrangling started. Instead of buying machines made in Europe that have established supply and repair points, some congressman wanted trucks built in his district sent. Then someone else decided his district could use the new trucks and the old ones could go to Iraq.

I don't know how it turned out.

bird1 is offline Corporal
    Verified LEO
    now i feel sorry for those generals that stood up to the sec. of defense and got fired for opposing his plan to go to iraq with the small number of troops
    " The hardest thing about disarming an armed suspect is not slipping on your own shit "

Michael P. Gordon E.O.W 08 Aug 2004

The opinions given in my posts DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are MY PERSONAL OPINIONS and I accept sole responsibility as such.

Terminator is offline BANNED
    It's clear the plan of the left is to publicly criticise whatever Bush says. It gets even more political when you throw in the potential presidential candidates, who like to add in catchy soundbites, but don't want to give a real opinion or solution.

BEB
    BEB is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Terminator View Post
    It's clear the plan of the left is to publicly criticise whatever Bush says. It gets even more political when you throw in the potential presidential candidates, who like to add in catchy soundbites, but don't want to give a real opinion or solution.
    Indeed. Political fighting is doing great harm to our soldiers and Iraqi civilians alike. It'd be one thing if it was truly principled opposition, but it's not. (*debatable point for another time) It's just pork grabbing and posturing.

Thread Information