Welcome to the APBWeb.
    Trojan 42 is offline Retired Ninja
    Verified LEO

New Way to use the Apache Gunship?

The drama unfolded during a British assault on Jugroom fort, a Taliban base in Garmser, a district of southern Helmand racked by violence. The riverside fort - a high walled compound ringed by watchtowers - had been under surveillance for more than two months. Military intelligence believed key Taliban leaders were hiding inside and that it was the command headquarters for insurgent activity across Garmser.

On Sunday night a 200-strong British force, led by Royal Marines, launched an operation to flush the Taliban out of the heavily fortified position. They started by launching a diversionary attack on other enemy positions to the north. Then at about 2am, they turned their sights on the real target. B1 bombers and 155mm artillery attacked as a company of marines from 45 Commando gathered on the western bank of the river, across from the fort.

Ground assault

They attacked shortly after dawn, storming across the Helmand river in a convoy of Viking amphibious vehicles. Apache gunships, Scimitar armoured vehicles and 105mm artillery provided covering fire. The commandos raced towards the fort walls, tumbled out of the armoured track vehicles, and started the ground assault.
    But the besieged Taliban fighters proved resilient, and sprayed the Z Company marines with gunfire. Within minutes the British force suffered four casualties, mostly gunshot wounds. The commandos leapt back into their Vikings and retreated to the far bank of the river.
    Moments later, commanding officers realised that one of their number was missing - Lance Corporal Ford. Reconnaissance aircraft found him lying outside the walls of Jugroom fort, on the far side of the river. It was not clear if he was alive. The soldiers prepared to return in the Vikings - a gambit that would entail enormous risk.

The Apache pilots hovering overhead suggested a less perilous but highly unusual move - they would bring the rescue squad across the river. Two Apaches landed and four volunteer marines strapped themselves to the aircraft wings using harnesses.

Dodging Taliban gunfire - and with four marines lying across the wings in the manner of the heroes of the second world war film Flight of the Phoenix - the two Apaches sped across the river and landed outside the Taliban fort. The marines unstrapped themselves and searched for Lance Corporal Ford. Having recovered his body, they strapped it to one of the Apaches and safely crossed the river.
    Defence sources described the rescue as an unprecedented operation. Apaches cannot carry passengers - the small fuselage is crammed with instruments and weapons systems and can barely accommodate two pilots.

To be born an Englishman, is to be a winner in the Lottery of Life.

I've Talked the Talk and I've Walked the Walk, now I Sit the Sit!

It's not until you look at an Ant through a magnifying glass on a sunny day, that you realise just how often they burst into flames for no reason!

BEB
    BEB is offline Banned
    Two problems with this writeup. Apaches have four wings, but anyone strapped to them would fly off as they rotate at a tremendous speed. Anything that cannot carry passengers has likely not been tested under severe enough circumstances.

Otherwise, good article.

Verified LEO
    You need to look up Apaches then. They have rotors and short wings.

It's not until you look at an Ant through a magnifying glass on a sunny day, that you realise just how often they burst into flames for no reason!

BEB
    BEB is offline Banned
    We agree on the second part then? I know, they're called stub wings on the Apache, but I believe that's poor nomenclature. If they provide lift in some manner of flight I'll gladly stand corrected.

Verified LEO
    I'm not interested in getting into a discussion on nomeclature as it would detract from the heroism shown by some very brave men!

BEB
    BEB is offline Banned
    The rest of the writeup I thought was well done. What is the source of the article? The writer does have a flair for telling the tale.

Verified LEO
    The BBC version. Now perhaps you can focus on the Heroism and not whether it's well written or if they are wings on an Apache !

Helicopter rescue bid for Marine

The Marines strapped themselves to the Apache's wings
    The Royal Marine killed in action in Afghanistan on Monday was the subject of a dramatic rescue attempt by his colleagues, the MoD has revealed.
    L/Cpl Mathew Ford, of 45 Commando Royal Marines, died during an attack on a Taleban fort in the Helmand province.

When his colleagues regrouped and found he was missing, they flew back.

Four strapped themselves to two Apache helicopters which landed inside and outside the fort's wall. But they discovered he was already dead.

It was an extraordinary tale of heroism and bravery of our airmen

UK Task Force spokesman, Lieutenant Colonel Rory Bruce

UK Task Force spokesman, Lt Col Rory Bruce, said the heroic mission was a "leap into the unknown".

"This is believed to be the first time UK forces have ever tried this type of rescue mission," he said.

"It was an extraordinary tale of heroism and bravery of our airmen, soldiers and marines who were all prepared to put themselves back into the line of fire to rescue a fallen comrade.

"And it was with great sadness they later found their brother-in-arms had been killed in action."

L/Cpl Ford was part of a 200-strong force, who attacked the major Taleban fort to the south of Garmsir in the southern province.

The MoD said the Apache helicopter can only carry a pilot and a gunner but there are attachments on the wings for personnel to harness themselves to in emergencies.

BEB
    BEB is offline Banned
    I never questioned the bravery; I questioned the reporting. This account answers another question I had though - that being if there were attachment points.

Verified LEO
    No you never questioned the bravery, you just totally ignored it!
    Congratulations you are now the first on my Ignore List.
    Last edited by Trojan 42; 01-17-07 at 05:36 AM.

conalabu is offline Grasshopper
    Verified LEO
    Pretty amazed that the air boys spared a thought for the ground pounders. Kudos to the marines that strapped themselves to those wings though. Jeez. The sound alone would have made me crap myself.
    And Shepards we shall be,
    for thee, My Lord, for thee,
    Power hath descended forth from Thy hand,
    That our feet may swiftly carry out Thy Command.
    So we shall flow a river forth to Thee
    And teeming with souls will it ever be.
    In Nomine Patris, Et Filli, Et Spiritus Sancti.

Verified LEO
    Apparently it's not so new. Just the first time used in this way by UK troops. It was devised to rescue downed aircrew.

BEB
    BEB is offline Banned
    Interesting, I'm going to have to check into this more.

I apologize for my rude replies last night. Thank you for the followup.

--BEB

Pedro56 is offline Englewood Ranger/Infidel Extraordinaire
    Verified LEO
    Great job on the part of the Marines and the Pilots. Took some balls to do that. That comes from a Rotary Wing Marine.

Stub wings where the armaments are.
    http://www.lawenforcementforums.com/forums/signaturepics/sigpic763_2.gif

"I am the guy that keeps Mister Dead in his pocket." -'Mad' Max Rockatansky

"An Englewood Ranger is no stranger to Danger.." -Unk

Good Night Chesty Where Ever You Are.

A Good Friend will bail you out of jail, but a true friend will be sitting next to you in the cell saying, "That was Awesome."

God Made Police Men so Fireman Would Have Heroes.

Piggybank Cop is offline Nobody important.
    Semper Fi, Mac.

We are the thin blue line
    between you
    and all the money in the world.

And no you can't have any.

Pedro56 is offline Englewood Ranger/Infidel Extraordinaire
    Verified LEO
    Semper Fi.

Granted I am still impartial to these two beasts. They have proven the test of time.

CH-46 aka "The Phrog"

Ah-1 Cobra

http://www.lawenforcementforums.com/forums/signaturepics/sigpic763_2.gif

"I am the guy that keeps Mister Dead in his pocket." -'Mad' Max Rockatansky

"An Englewood Ranger is no stranger to Danger.." -Unk

Good Night Chesty Where Ever You Are.

A Good Friend will bail you out of jail, but a true friend will be sitting next to you in the cell saying, "That was Awesome."

God Made Police Men so Fireman Would Have Heroes.

Thread Information