Eden Police Shoot Man During Chase

Police say the driver of a vehicle involved in a chase was shot, after he fired at officers.

Eden, NC -- Police in Eden say they shot a man, after he fired shots at the officers who were chasing him.

According to a news release from the department, shortly before 2:30 on Wednesday afternoon police were chasing a car in Eden.

The driver of the car stopped and started to run from officers. As police continued the chase, the man started shooting. Police fired back, hitting the man.

"I was sitting in the house, getting ready to go out. All the sudden I heard, bam, bam, bam. I looked out the window and saw police running everywhere," says witness David Reeves. "We heard him out there moaning and groaning. And the paramedics were saying 'stay with us' and they got him in the ambulance and took off."

The man was taken to Morehead Memorial Hospital before being transferred to Baptist Medical Center. So far, there's no word on his condition.

The officers involved in the shooting were automatically placed on paid administrative leave while the shooting is investigated by the SBI.

WFMY News 2
Maila Rible , Web Producer
created: 1/17/2007 4:42:56 PM
Last updated: 1/17/2007 11:26:34 PM
One of the officers involved is a good close friend of mine. Both officers are ok. The guy they shot is a well known drug dealer in this area........................ba stard!