Welcome to the APBWeb.
    Terminator is offline BANNED

Officer arrests homeless woman, then drags her cart alongside his car to the jail

BRADENTON -- No police officer with any common sense would have dragged a homeless person's shopping cart 12 miles while driving, risking personal injury and posing a danger to other motorists, the Bradenton police chief said Tuesday.

Officer Nicholas Evans, who lugged the woman's cart and its load to the Manatee County Jail after arresting her last week, has won praise for his apparent compassion. He was behind the wheel of his patrol car as he pulled the cart from east Bradenton to the jail north on U.S. 41.

But police administrators question Evans' motive and why he didn't choose any number of options to safeguard the belongings of the woman, Marie Brooks, who was wanted for violating a court order in a misdemeanor drug case.

"Thank God a drunk person didn't run into him and tear his arm off," Police Chief Michael Radzilowski said. "Nobody would have approved this and nobody else would have done it. I don't know what this young man's motivation was."

Radzilowski said a police captain is investigating whether Evans took the cart to the jail because he did not like the advice of a supervisor. If Evans acted in spite, the chief said, he likely would be written up for insubordination.

Every officer is trained to handle property, Radzilowski said. Evans could have requested a city van to collect the items that included clothing, plastic plates and a blanket. The police station has a property department where items could have been stored temporarily.

Brooks was toting around cooked food, too, but the jail does not accept perishable items. Evans, the chief said, should have thrown the food out before delivering Brooks to the jail.

The saga of the shopping cart, first reported in the Herald-Tribune on Monday, swiftly traveled the country. Radzilowski said he fielded a number of phone calls from homeless advocates who praised Evans.

"Officer Evans obviously has a heart and it showed that night. My hat's off to that officer," a retired police officer who lives in Venice wrote to the Herald-Tribune.

Said Radzilowski: "He did his job. That's his duty. Whether you are a millionaire or you are homeless, (the officer) is responsible for the person's property."

Evans, 26, a Bradenton officer for three years who works the overnight shift, could not be reached for comment Tuesday. He declined an interview request Monday night.

He confronted Brooks, 42, last Tuesday and questioned her in the 900 block of Ninth Avenue East. Evans found out Brooks, homeless for three years, had a warrant.

One of the woman's daughters, who lives in Sarasota, could not get a ride to retrieve the cart and its load.

So Evans dragged the four-wheeler to a house on 13th Avenue East. The homeowner, who knew Brooks, refused to accept the items.

"If I have to take it to the jail with me, I will," Evans told a police dispatcher over the radio that morning.

Evans stopped at 7-Eleven in Palmetto, where a woman who said she would take the stuff met him. She then withdrew her offer.

His trip to the jail took more than an hour. Evans returned the cart, empty, to a Wal-Mart store.

dlocke1419 is offline Officer First Class
    he should have had it towed.

Pedro56 is offline Englewood Ranger/Infidel Extraordinaire
    Verified LEO
    Dork. I always give it to the next stew bum, and tell them happy birthday
    http://www.lawenforcementforums.com/forums/signaturepics/sigpic763_2.gif

"I am the guy that keeps Mister Dead in his pocket." -'Mad' Max Rockatansky

"An Englewood Ranger is no stranger to Danger.." -Unk

Good Night Chesty Where Ever You Are.

A Good Friend will bail you out of jail, but a true friend will be sitting next to you in the cell saying, "That was Awesome."

God Made Police Men so Fireman Would Have Heroes.

Dudleydoright is offline Officer First Class
    That is so right out of Reno 911.

Pinki is offline Sergeant
    Supporting Member Lvl 2
    I think it was very compassionate and he should be commended for it (and for returning the shopping cart).

jmur5074 is offline Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Whatever

I'm sure he could have found a better way of doing it, but what he did worked.

So who cares?
    No one has greater love than this, to lay down ones life for ones friends - John 15:13

"The Wicked Flee When No Man Pursueth: But The Righteous Are Bold As A Lion".

We lucky few, we band of brothers. For he who today sheds his blood with me shall be my brother.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~
    The opinions, beliefs, and ideas expressed in this post are mine, and mine alone. They are NOT the opinions, beliefs, ideas, or policies of my Agency, Police Chief, City Council, or any member of my department.

OffDuty is offline The Shotgun is Family.
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    what about returning the cart to the store (the rightful owner)? Theres a thought...

The last time I dealt with it it was picked up by the street department. I saw my guy two days later after he bonded pushing a brand new cart swiped from another store obvious by the cart type/color.

12 miles nonfu*kingsense.
    There are only two kinds of real justice left: street and poetic...

Canada, huh? Almost made it...

*DISCLAIMER*The opinions expressed here are my own delusions. My employer administraton would at best shake their heads and sigh; or at worst severely repudiate the content of these posts, should it ever manage to appear on their radar.

Supporting Member Lvl 2
    He did return it to the store (Walmart). See the last line of the story. Again, he has a heart -- Many don't -- Good for him.

BEB
    BEB is offline Banned
    He has a heart, sure. Sounds to me more like the actions of someone who was pissed though.

Or a redneck going on a camping trip.

Jackalope is offline Yell O
    I would have charged her with theft of the shopping cart. I guess I'm not very compassionate, at least not toward drug addicts.
    "I'm not a coward,
    I've just never been tested
    I'd like to think that if I was,
    I would pass"
    ~Mighty Mighty Bosstones~

Supporting Member Lvl 2
    Just because you have a heart doesn't mean you wouldn't be pissed off. There's plenty of times I've done something because I felt it was the right thing to do (i.e. like give to United Way) and yet it pisses me off.

DirtRoadDeputy is offline La-Z-Boy Test Pilot
    I would have called a wrecker to pick it up. I called a wrecker for a wheel chair once.
    Speeder: Why don't you give me a warning instead of a ticket.
    DirtRoadDeputy: Your RADAR detector was your warning!

mwstumm1 is offline Patrol K-9 Sgt.
    Ok, so who is going to pay the wrecker bill? They are homeless right? Also are you going to wake up your street department in the middle of the night?
    She would have had the extra charge of Theft for the cart and then the cart and all of its belongings would have gone back to the store where it came from. If they want the cart back then they can throw the stuff away when they get back to the store. If the didn't want to come get it, I guess it had to be processed, which is what he did. I am sure there is a boss thing somewhere in this mix.
    Oh well the job got done and if that is what he thought he had to do then so be it.
    [COLOR="Yellow"]Please visit our site at www.pittsboropdk9.org[ /COLOR]

tapout is offline keepin it gangsta'
    Verified LEO
    i would have never ran a wanted check on a homeless person in the first place...i think i did that once, when i first started. the desk officers really got on me about it when i brought him in, and i later found out why it was such a huge mistake. i learned my lesson.
    in the warriors code there's no surrender, though his body says stop, his spirit cries...NEVER. deep in our souls, a quiet ember, knows its you against you, its the paradox that drives us all. its a battle of wills, in the heat of attack, its the passion that kills, and victory is yours alone.

the posts and opinions stated by me do not in any way reflect the values, beliefs, or views of my department. they are simply opinions and/or observations which have been developed through my personal experiences. hell, most of the stories probably arent even true...wink wink

Jenna is offline sheep
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tapout View Post
    i would have never ran a wanted check on a homeless person in the first place...i think i did that once, when i first started. the desk officers really got on me about it when i brought him in, and i later found out why it was such a huge mistake. i learned my lesson.
    Why is it bad to run a wanted check on a homeless person?

tapout is offline keepin it gangsta'
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenna View Post
    Why is it bad to run a wanted check on a homeless person?
    how much experience do you have in dealing with homeless people?

lets just say its been my experience that they have many problems, emotionally, mentally, hygenically, etc...the juice isnt worth the squeeze
    Last edited by tapout; 01-19-07 at 09:46 PM.
    in the warriors code there's no surrender, though his body says stop, his spirit cries...NEVER. deep in our souls, a quiet ember, knows its you against you, its the paradox that drives us all. its a battle of wills, in the heat of attack, its the passion that kills, and victory is yours alone.

the posts and opinions stated by me do not in any way reflect the values, beliefs, or views of my department. they are simply opinions and/or observations which have been developed through my personal experiences. hell, most of the stories probably arent even true...wink wink

121Traffic is offline Just Us
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by tapout View Post
    how much experience do you have in dealing with homeless people?

lets just say its been my experience that they have many problems, emotionally, mentally, hygenically, etc...the juice isnt worth the squeeze
    +about a gazillion

It's the same reason I don't usually run juvis or run people on traffic stops (without something making my hairs raise) near the end of shift. Sometimes the paper ain't worth it.
    "If anything worthwhile comes of this tragedy, it should be the realization by every citizen that often the only thing that stands between them and losing everything they hold dear... is the man wearing a badge." -- Ronald Reagan, in the wake of the deaths of 4 CHP troopers in the Newhall Incident, 1970

The opinions given in my posts DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "121Traffic" on O/R.

Thread Information