Welcome to the APBWeb.
    Trojan 42 is offline Retired Ninja
    Verified LEO

Posthumous Gallantry Medal Awarded

Top bravery honour for stabbed officer Jan 17 2007

By Emma Pinch
    A police officer stabbed to death by a paranoid schizophrenic is to be decorated with a prestigious award for bravery.

Detective Constable Mick Swindells, who died after being stabbed through the heart as he attended an incident in the Aston area of Birmingham in 2004, will be posthumously awarded the Queenís Gallantry Medal.
    It is the highest award for bravery ever given to a police officer in the West Midlands.
    The father-of-one was attacked as he answered a call to help a council worker who was being threatened by a man with a kitchen knife.

Det Con Swindells was chasing the man down a canal towpath when he turned and stabbed him, he died almost immediately.

Glaister Butler was convicted of manslaughter, on the grounds of diminished responsibility, of the 44-year-old police officer in May 2005, and sentenced to be detained indefinitely under the Mental Health Act. Paul Scott-Lee, Chief Constable of West Midlands Police, said yesterday: "This tragedy highlights the dangers that police officers put themselves in on a daily basis to protect members of the public.

"Det Con Swindells showed conspicuous courage in circumstances of extreme danger.

"He acted voluntarily and without hesitation and responded out of an immediate sense of duty to protect both his colleagues and the public, who were at serious risk if Butler had escaped.

"This officer did the right thing but the end was tragic. Michaelís family lost a brave son, father and husband, while colleagues within the police service lost a friend."

Det Con Swindells' widow Carole said: "I am very pleased that my husbandís bravery has been recognised with this award."

In May 2005 Butler, who had a history of mental illness, was detained indefinitely at a high security mental hospital after being convicted of Det Con Swindells' manslaughter on the grounds of diminished responsibility.
    To be born an Englishman, is to be a winner in the Lottery of Life.

I've Talked the Talk and I've Walked the Walk, now I Sit the Sit!

It's not until you look at an Ant through a magnifying glass on a sunny day, that you realise just how often they burst into flames for no reason!

General Patten is offline Surgeon General
    Rip
    SURGEON GENERAL'S WARNING:
    Lead is very hazardous to your health.
    Always include Kevlar in your daily diet.

"I always believe in being prepared, even when I'm dressed in white tie and tails."
    - Gen. George S. Patton, Jr.

Thread Information