Welcome to the APBWeb.
    lilbeck is offline Rookie

outlawing the "n" word

Here's whats been going on in my neck of the woods in Brazoria County, just south of Houston.

BRAZORIA — When Mayor Ken Corley heard some prominent black Americans discussing on a television news program that there should be a law against the “N-word,” he had an idea on how to deal with that particular word in his city.

Since seeing that program three months ago, Corley said he has been gauging the public’s views on the “N-word” and whether they would support an ordinance against using it.

“It’s in the exploratory stages right now,” Corley said. “So far, there are people for it and people against it.”

Corley said he has not seen a problem in Brazoria with the “N-word” being used very often, but he believes someone needed to address the problem on a larger scale. However, Corley said the ordinance would not apply to other racial slurs, nor is there a law on the books now criminalizing their use.

Marie Hicks, co-owner of Custom T-shirts, who is white, wouldn’t say whether she would support the ordinance. But she said she has noticed something interesting since Corley brought up the issue — she’s hearing the “N-word” twice as often as before.

Still, Corley said, “I don’t expect it to be a problem or an issue in our area.”

Legal arguments

The First Amendment prevents the city from outright banning the “N-word,” but it can pass an ordinance against its use in certain contexts, Corley said. Under Brazoria’s proposed ordinance, such uses would be a class C misdemeanor punishable by up to a $500 fine.

In a letter to Corley and City Council members, City Attorney Charlie Stevenson wrote the ordinance could be established under state laws authorizing the city “to adopt ordinances for the good government, peace order and welfare of the municipality.”

Also according to Stevenson’s letter, the U.S. Supreme Court has ruled, “free speech is not absolute at all times and under all circumstances,” and that speech that can be regulated involves “language which is lewd and obscene, profane, libelous and insulting, or fighting words, which by their very utterance inflict injury or tend to incite an immediate breach of peace.”

“I believe the council has the right to pass the ordinance,” Stevenson said. He also said he thought the ordinance could be enforced, but it would have to be done on a case-by-case basis.

Brazoria Police Chief Neal Longbotham said he didn’t expect anyone to get arrested if the ordinance passes and it would be strictly a ticket-type of offense. As far as being able to enforce it, he said it was like any other law in that it would be the police department’s duty to enforce it.

Longbotham also said that he didn’t think that the ordinance would increase the volume of calls to the department, but that he could be wrong.

According to an attorney at The First Amendment Center at Vanderbilt University in Nashville, however, passing the ordinance might not be that easy.

Attorney David Hudson said the U.S. Supreme Court ruled in 1992 against the idea of banning or criminalizing only race-based “fighting words” or to single them out.

“To single out certain viewpoints for discrimination would be unconstitutional,” Hudson said.

Ministers split

This month, Corley had a meeting with some area ministers to get their input and about 60 percent of them supported such as ordinance, he said.

Pastor Ricky Jones of The Living Word Christian Fellowship Church in Brazoria, who is black and one of those who attended the meeting, said he thinks Corley is doing a good thing by pushing the ordinance. He said he does not like the “N-word” being used and he believes it should not be used by people of any race.

“I do not think I can expect you to respect me if I don’t respect myself,” Jones said in reference to black people using the “N-word.”

Stephen Dunlap, pastor of The Church in Brazoria, who is black, sees a downside to criminalizing the word, however.

“I strongly oppose the proposed ordinance on the ‘N’ word,” Dunlap wrote a statement to The Facts. “If I thought the proposed ordinance could be the solution or part of the solution, I would strongly support it, but I only see it causing more hurt, division in communities and bitterness among our black youth.”

Ed Baker Sr., the overseer of Magnolia Bible Church, and Melvin Johnson Jr., pastor of Heart of Christ Community Church in Brazoria, both of whom are black, also opposed the idea of an ordinance against the “N-word.”

“Frankly, I voiced my opinion in opposition against it,” Johnson said. “One primary reason is that an attempt to ban that one word wouldn’t be effective.”

Baker said he thought it was courageous of Corley to suggest the ordinance, but he is not in favor of it.

Deacon Jimmy Smith of St. Joseph’s Catholic Church, who is white, said he would support the ordinance, but he didn’t know whether it would be successful.

Public view

Brazoria residents are disagreeing over the idea of an “N-word” ordinance, but for different reasons.

Luanda Oliver, who is black, said she thought the ordinance was a good idea, and Carol Davis owner of A.W. Davis Tire & Auto Center Inc., who is white, said, “I understand what he’s trying to do, and I am never against respect.”

Amanda Garza, a Hispanic resident who just moved back to Brazoria from Georgia, said she is against the use of the word and would support Corley’s ordinance. She said both of her children are bi-racial and have been subjected to racial slurs.

“It’ll make people think twice and be more responsible,” she said.

Grace Shed, who is white, compared the ordinance to the recent ordinances against smoking in people’s personal vehicles, and that it was just going too far.

“Personally, my niece is mixed already, and I don’t like the word, but I don’t think he (Corley) should be able to pass that law,” Shed said. “It’s absolutely wrong and it’s infringing on my First Amendment rights.”

“I think it is a good idea, but I don’t say the word,” said De De Truitt, who is white. “But if the city feels they need to pass it, I’ll be behind them 150 percent.”

"yes you have a right to your opinion, and i have a right to think you're stupid."

121Traffic is offline Just Us
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    slippery slope......
    "If anything worthwhile comes of this tragedy, it should be the realization by every citizen that often the only thing that stands between them and losing everything they hold dear... is the man wearing a badge." -- Ronald Reagan, in the wake of the deaths of 4 CHP troopers in the Newhall Incident, 1970

The opinions given in my posts DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "121Traffic" on O/R.

countybear is offline BDRT - Baby Daddy Removal Team
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by 121Traffic View Post
    slippery slope......
    agreed...

Saying that the enforcement of a criminal ordinance (even a status offense) should be handled on a "case-by-case" basis is without a doubt one of the scariest things I have heard a public official say...

"The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money."
    - Alexis de Tocqueville, Democracy in America

Tell me not, Sweet, I am unkind,
    That from the nunnery
    Of thy chaste breast and quiet mind
    To war and arms I fly.
    - Lovelace

The opinions expressed by this poster are wholly his own, and should never be construed to even remotely be in representation of his employer, its agencies or assigns. In fact, they probably fail to be in alignment with the opinions of any rational human being.

Roses is offline Member
    It is going to far!

He mize well go ahead and add the words "Pussy, Bitch, Slut, Whore, Whitie" Since it is out of respect.
    http://img455.imageshack.us/img455/1369/rosekdrosetransp9fk2eb.gif

A Smile

A smile cost nothing, but gives so much.

It enriches those who receive it,
    without making poorer those who give.
    It takes but a moment, but the memory
    of it sometimes lasts forever.

None is so rich or mighty that he
    can get along without it,
    and none is so poor but that
    he can be made rich by it.

A smile creates happiness in the home,
    fosters goodwill in business,
    and is the countersign of friendship.

It brings rest to the weary,
    cheer to the discouraged, sunshine to the sad,
    and it is nature's best antidote for trouble.

Yet it cannot be bought, begged, borrowed,
    or stolen, for it is something that is of no
    value to anyone until it is given away.

Some people are too tired to give you a smile.
    Give them one of yours, as none needs a smile
    so much as he who has no more to give.

- author unknown

Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Roses View Post
    It is going to far!

He mize well go ahead and add the words "Pussy, Bitch, Slut, Whore, Whitie" Since it is out of respect.
    oooo... I think I like it when she talks dirty...

"The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money."

That from the nunnery
    To war and arms I fly.
    - Lovelace

The opinions expressed by this poster are wholly his own, and should never be construed to even remotely be in representation of his employer, its agencies or assigns. In fact, they probably fail to be in alignment with the opinions of any rational human being.

dadyswat is offline Officer First Class
    Verified LEO
    Agree.

bayern is offline Officer First Class
    Verified LEO

The "N" word

Make it a Nation Wide Law. Then wecan lockup rappers and their women all day long. They use it more often then "Whitie."

Roses is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bayern View Post
    Make it a Nation Wide Law. Then wecan lockup rappers and their women all day long. They use it more often then "Whitie."
    Lot's of Revenue!

Wonder if they could build a stadium with that money since more and more people are choosing not to smoke.

Maybe even some new schools too!
    http://img455.imageshack.us/img455/1369/rosekdrosetransp9fk2eb.gif

A Smile

A smile cost nothing, but gives so much.

It enriches those who receive it,
    without making poorer those who give.
    It takes but a moment, but the memory
    of it sometimes lasts forever.

None is so rich or mighty that he
    can get along without it,
    and none is so poor but that
    he can be made rich by it.

A smile creates happiness in the home,
    fosters goodwill in business,
    and is the countersign of friendship.

It brings rest to the weary,
    cheer to the discouraged, sunshine to the sad,
    and it is nature's best antidote for trouble.

Yet it cannot be bought, begged, borrowed,
    or stolen, for it is something that is of no
    value to anyone until it is given away.

Some people are too tired to give you a smile.
    Give them one of yours, as none needs a smile
    so much as he who has no more to give.

- author unknown

Star Man is offline Guns only have two enemies; rust and politicians
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by lilbeck View Post
    Corley said he has not seen a problem in Brazoria with the “N-word” being used very often, but he believes someone needed to address the problem on a larger scale. However, Corley said the ordinance would not apply to other racial slurs, nor is there a law on the books now criminalizing their use.
    So Honkey or Cracker is ok, and any Jewish or Spanish slurs would be legal? Wheres the fairness in that???

Piggybank Cop is offline Nobody important.
    Too bad you can't outlaw stupid.

We are the thin blue line
    between you
    and all the money in the world.

And no you can't have any.

Jackalope is offline Yell O
    Oh it makes perfect sense... because if you outlaw the word, that will automatically eliminate the sentiments behind using it.
    "I'm not a coward,
    I've just never been tested
    I'd like to think that if I was,
    I would pass"
    ~Mighty Mighty Bosstones~

Crimebytes2 is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Star Man View Post
    So Honkey or Cracker is ok, and any Jewish or Spanish slurs would be legal? Wheres the fairness in that???
    I agree! In this case, there can be NO exceptions to the rule!

gozling is offline the gene pool could use a little chlorine
    Quote Originally Posted by 1sgkelly View Post
    Too bad you can't outlaw stupid.

+10
    http://www.allpoetry.com/Grunts%20Girl

We dallied under
    Vine maples and sapling alders
    Searched for lady slippers
    But instead
    Found blackberry riots and
    Desiccated branches

An old skid road
    Brought ghost ferns and
    Hollows filled with
    Skunk cabbage
    While waves wrapped
    Intricate lacings of weeds
    'Round mule spinners

His cyanotic eyes
    Were hard enough to make
    The sun turn tail and
    Tender enough to attract me
    To his world of illusion

Ducky is offline Enforcer General
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    I didn't know that a word could be outlawed. That's essentially thought policing going on, and I'll be damned if thoughts can be legislated.
    \\
    ` ` ` ` < ` )___/\
    `` ` ` ` (3--(____)
    "...but to forget your duck, of course, means you're really screwed." - Gary Larson
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtN1YnoL46Q

Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Ducky View Post
    I didn't know that a word could be outlawed. That's essentially thought policing going on, and I'll be damned if thoughts can be legislated.
    I bet you can't guess what I'm thinkin'...

That from the nunnery
    To war and arms I fly.
    - Lovelace

Ducky is offline Enforcer General
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Quote Originally Posted by countybear View Post
    I bet you can't guess what I'm thinkin'...

I can guess, and that's only illegal in 3 states now.
    \\
    ` ` ` ` < ` )___/\
    `` ` ` ` (3--(____)
    "...but to forget your duck, of course, means you're really screwed." - Gary Larson
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtN1YnoL46Q

Thread Information