BEK
    BEK is offline Lieutenant
    Verified LEO

Innocent Girl Held A Week In North Platte Jail

Innocent Girl Held A Week In North Platte Jail

NORTH PLATTE BULLETIN

November 02, 2006

“We are horribly sorry,” the cop said.

The 17-year-old girl who was wrongly locked in jail for seven days might be feeling terribly lucky.

Amanda Sylvester might still be in jail, facing criminal charges that included aiding and abetting a robbery, were it not for an anonymous tip to a Crimestopper hotline.

Her arrest and arraignment stemmed from mistaken identity, according to Lieutenant Rick Ryan of the North Platte Police Department. One of the men involved in the recent robbery of a Kwik Shop identified Sylvester through a photograph, but said he didn’t know her name.

“Amanda Sylvester was not involved in the robbery,” Ryan said. “We have no information or any reason to believe that Amanda is involved in drugs or any illegal activity. We are horribly sorry about what happened.”

To make matters worse for Sylvester, she had been arraigned as a adult and County Judge Kent Turnbull set bail at $250,000; she would have had to post $25,000 to be released.

Sylvester cried in court October 24 as Turnbull read the charges to her.

"I wasn't even there," Sylvester said. "I know these guys but don't understand why they're using my name."

"That may be all true but at this point; I just don't know," Turnbull said. "Talk to your attorney."

Although she is only 17, Sylvester was arraigned as an adult.

A week later, the Crimestopper tip led to the arrest of Kayce Schildhauer, 19, of North Platte.

Ryan said the women have very similar looks, and that the mistake was easily understood because of it. (The photographs published with this story were taken from Nebraska drivers' licenses.)

“They have the same color hair, they’re about the same size and they wear the same earrings,” Ryan said. “But they are two different people.”

Her guardian said she was concerned about the way Sylvester had been treated by the system – especially the fact that she was arraigned as an adult.

Investigators brought Schildhauer in for questioning, which resulted in her arrest, Ryan said.

Sylvester’s photograph and name had previously been used by local media, informing the community that she was a suspect.

"There have been some really nasty, ugly, things said about Amanda that never should have been allowed," Ryan said.

Police Chief Martin Sutschenritter apologized for the error, adding “There is a lesson to be learned here, that everything isn’t always what it appears.”

In addition to Schildhauer, three suspects have been arrested in the case: Nicholas T. Zierke, 19; Jesse S. Dorris, 25; Erik C. Ritter, 19.

osugirlP103 is offline Officer First Class
    they have to be related thats way to close, nope i think its the same girl or a made up story
    LAW ENFORCEMENT HELPING"PERPS" SLIP DOWN STAIRS SINCE 1766!

BEK
    BEK is offline Lieutenant
    Verified LEO

osugirlP103 is offline Officer First Class
    that is crazy i cant believe the photos
    LAW ENFORCEMENT HELPING"PERPS" SLIP DOWN STAIRS SINCE 1766!

Piggybank Cop is offline Nobody important.
    Holy doppelganger Batman.

We are the thin blue line
    between you
    and all the money in the world.

And no you can't have any.

dlocke1419 is offline Officer First Class
    I would have arrested her to.

Jenna is offline sheep
    Premium Lifetime Member
    What's really strange is that their earrings are identical and they have identical jewelry on their left eyelids.

Willowdared is offline Bendy not Breaky
    Noses, ears and chins are different....

Glad someone phoned in a tip!
    Molly Weasley makes Chuck Norris eat his vegetables.

Do not puff, shade, skew, tailor, firm up, stretch, massage,
    or otherwise distort statements of fact.
    FBI Special Agent Coleen Rowley

resdepbrian is offline Posse Rider
    Wow, that's almost unbelievable, and in the same community too.
    "Don't make me climb down from this horse"
    http://www.myspace.com/capt_brian

Beans is offline Street Cop
    Verified LEO
    Damn, they look like twins!
    The opinions given in my posts DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Beans" on LEF.

Pinki is offline Sergeant
    Supporting Member Lvl 2
    Holy Milkman!

countybear is offline BDRT - Baby Daddy Removal Team
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Pgrl View Post
    Holy Milkman!

"The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money."
    - Alexis de Tocqueville, Democracy in America

Tell me not, Sweet, I am unkind,
    That from the nunnery
    Of thy chaste breast and quiet mind
    To war and arms I fly.
    - Lovelace

The opinions expressed by this poster are wholly his own, and should never be construed to even remotely be in representation of his employer, its agencies or assigns. In fact, they probably fail to be in alignment with the opinions of any rational human being.

Ducky is offline Enforcer General
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Well, the innocent one can now get away with almost anything, so long as she blames it on the other one.
    \\
    ` ` ` ` < ` )___/\
    `` ` ` ` (3--(____)
    "...but to forget your duck, of course, means you're really screwed." - Gary Larson
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtN1YnoL46Q

jmur5074 is offline Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by 1sgkelly View Post
    Holy doppelganger Batman.

Thats what I was thinking
    No one has greater love than this, to lay down ones life for ones friends - John 15:13

"The Wicked Flee When No Man Pursueth: But The Righteous Are Bold As A Lion".

We lucky few, we band of brothers. For he who today sheds his blood with me shall be my brother.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~
    The opinions, beliefs, and ideas expressed in this post are mine, and mine alone. They are NOT the opinions, beliefs, ideas, or policies of my Agency, Police Chief, City Council, or any member of my department.

BEB
    BEB is offline Banned
    What I wonder about this case isn't how Amanda was picked out based on the witness report. She fit to a reasonable standard.

I'm not even all that upset about her being picked up based on the witness report. The bit about wearing the same earrings is weak to say the least, (tip for Lieutenant Ryan, girls often have more than one set of earrings) but the eyebrow piercing makes up for that. The identifying traits part, not the lame CYA explanation part.

What I'd like someone to explain is the inner workings of the machine once someone is picked up.

Here we have a town of 25K with 1 highschool. They probably even have yearbooks and stuff like that. We have a 17 and 19 year old - they usually don't run in the same circles in HS. We have Amanda denying from the first instant that she was involved. (ok, everyone claims to be innocent, even the ones that are, throw that one out) After the initial arrest was made though, whose responsibility was it to make sure they had the right person?

Who was sitting on their thumb for a week? Is it handed off to the DA at that point?

Star Man is offline Guns only have two enemies; rust and politicians
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by dlocke1419 View Post
    I would have arrested her to.
    Waaayy too much alike! Almost like twins, down to the earrings, clothing and eyebrow piercing.....

BEB
    BEB is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Star Man View Post
    Waaayy too much alike! Almost like twins, down to the earrings, clothing and eyebrow piercing.....
    Those are the driver's license photos. I'm sure they've both since changed clothes, probably even changed earrings a time or two since they got their picture take for their licenses. Now if they both wore gray clothes and hoop rings with their hair pulled back while standing in front of a blue background with an bright flash in their face constantly those two pictures being so similar would be much much more important.

That the driver's license shots look so much alike distracts. Did Kayce wear hoop earrings and gray clothes with her hair tied back and a flash in her face while robbing the store? Could be...

You have two HS girls, two years apart, with red hair and the same eyebrow piercing. That's what you have. We have no report of clothing or earrings from the witness.

Thread Information