Welcome to the APBWeb.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Retdetsgt is offline How did I get here!
    Verified LEO
    I just embarrassed for the profession when we have cops who have to taze a 10 year old kid because they're either not big enough or just afraid of them. It doesn't say much about how we've evolved.

It makes me want to puke when I hear some cop whining about officer safety when they're dealing with an unarmed 11 year old girl. I hope to hell they never have kids.
    Last edited by Retdetsgt; 01-11-06 at 10:29 PM.
    When I used to be somebody (I'm center top)

"A burning desire for social justice is never a substitute for knowing what you're talking about". -Thomas Sowell-

MountainCop Guest
    My $0.02 - your mileage may vary...

Florida wouldn't need such a law (and we wouldn't need to taze them) if the little kiddies parents would put a little effort into actually raising the little shits right and disciplining them when they act like asses!

Then again, I'm talking about a state where some people don't even know how to punch a hole in a pre-punched card with a big fricking poker.

Which makes me wonder how they had kids in the first place.....

As for tazing a child - not on my agenda.

kdm0409 is offline ^ Female Deputy
    As for tazing a child - not on my agenda.
    I wouldn't want to taze a kid either and I work in a school..pepper spray is much more fun on them...and even at that I haven't had to use it here at this school anyways. Most of the fights I have had here have stopped by the time I get down the hall anyways..except one..I watched it for a split second as soon as one of the boys got knocked down I grabbed the other one and slammed him against the wall and the one on the ground about got a foot across his face and he realized he didn't want that so he stayed on the ground until I had both of them somewhat calmed down....

and for those that have seen the pics of me I am small, so most people, even kids are bigger than me

oh well, dynamite comes in small packages hee hee
    It is better to be tried by 12, than carried by 6.
    ______________________________ __________
    An invisible red thread connects those who are destined to meet, regardless of time, place, or circumstance. The thread may stretch or tangle, but will never break.
    ______________________________ __________
    In vino veritas!

Verified LEO
    As you guys go through your career, you'll see stuff like this bill every so often. A good tool is often lost because of the abuse by a few.

We got cell phones put in our patrol cars. Great idea, until the chief started getting bills for $150K a month for them. What was happening was cops were chatting car to car like a bunch of damn teenagers. They were warned about it repeatedly, but nothing changed. Then you should of heard the pissing and moaning when they were taken out.

It's the same, or will be the same with tazers. They're a great tool to use on someone you can't handle safely any other way. But as in the cell phones, when common sense isn't applied, the public is going to take them away. And then when you face the drug crazed guy who's 6-4, 240, you ain't gonna have it.

We used to be able to use the caratoid hold, a great way to subdue anybody. No matter what drugs you were on, if the blood didn't reach the brain, you went night-night. But it started being used helter skelter and people started dying from it. That was a hell of a tool that will never come back.

It's got nothing to do with how parents raise their kids, etc. It's about using a tool properly and in the correct context.

"A burning desire for social justice is never a substitute for knowing what you're talking about". -Thomas Sowell-

Terminator is offline BANNED
    Quote Originally Posted by Retdetsgt
    We used to be able to use the caratoid hold, a great way to subdue anybody. No matter what drugs you were on, if the blood didn't reach the brain, you went night-night. But it started being used helter skelter and people started dying from it. That was a hell of a tool that will never come back.
    Actually Sarge, one of my Lieutenants on the P.D. I work for uses it....he left several months ago to do the Iraq Policing Mission, but I'll never forget watching him put out the lights of the most uncooperative people literally in a matter of a few seconds.

Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Terminator
    Actually Sarge, one of my Lieutenants on the P.D. I work for uses it....he left several months ago to do the Iraq Policing Mission, but I'll never forget watching him put out the lights of the most uncooperative people literally in a matter of a few seconds.
    Good, it's a great tool. But it's considered deadly force by a lot of depts, mine included. Nobody around here uses it.

If you can get your Lt to show you how to do it effectively when he gets back. You can't beat it for taking somebody out. And when they come to, all the fight is gone!

121Traffic is offline Just Us
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    I agree here. Common sense should dictate policy, not legislation.

Hey RDS, I just noticed the pic in you sig. It's a cool picture, very well done.

I had no idea that The Shield was actually a remake of a popular 70's TV show! Sorry, I had to take it.
    "If anything worthwhile comes of this tragedy, it should be the realization by every citizen that often the only thing that stands between them and losing everything they hold dear... is the man wearing a badge." -- Ronald Reagan, in the wake of the deaths of 4 CHP troopers in the Newhall Incident, 1970

The opinions given in my posts DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "121Traffic" on O/R.

chris2001 is offline Captain
    Quote Originally Posted by bigdog21
    So why do u think siplin wants to make stun guns illegal for non leos?
    Because they trully are not of use to the open public. You will have people that are not trained in the Use-of-Force trying to tase someone. Hell for that matter how many times do you hear someone say "Let them come in my house or try to enter" "I will just shoot them before they get inside". Its all about liability. Plus the retarded citizens that we all have that think its fun to use pain on everyone.
    Being the best is not what always counts. What counts is always trying your best.

Remember who you are, and where you came from. That way you never get a big head.

May those that lost their lives in 9-11 RIP, for the things you did not many could do. You left so many behind so that you could save so few. For now we stand strong as one, and will not look back till the fight is done. (me)

http://www.danasoft.com/sig/Nowwhat%...5Csuphomey.jpg

The opinions given in my posts DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are MY PERSONAL OPINIONS only.

Good, it's a great tool. But it's considered deadly force by a lot of depts, mine included. Nobody around here uses it.

If you can get your Lt to show you how to do it effectively when he gets back. You can't beat it for taking somebody out. And when they come to, all the fight is gone!
    Oh it's deadly force here too...but that didn't stop him!

He has shown me how to use it...

bigdog21 is offline Officer First Class
    Quote Originally Posted by chris2001
    Because they trully are not of use to the open public. You will have people that are not trained in the Use-of-Force trying to tase someone. Hell for that matter how many times do you hear someone say "Let them come in my house or try to enter" "I will just shoot them before they get inside". Its all about liability. Plus the retarded citizens that we all have that think its fun to use pain on everyone.
    what about licensed security officers that a go to taser training thru taser international and get certified in its use?

Quote Originally Posted by bigdog21
    what about licensed security officers that a go to taser training thru taser international and get certified in its use?
    I would be very weary about doing that. In general, I would say no.

MountainCop Guest
    <snip> It's got nothing to do with how parents raise their kids, etc. It's about using a tool properly and in the correct context.
    The first sentence, I respectfully disagree. We wouldn't have to consider using tazers on a 8-10 year old if they knew how to behave! And I know, some kids never will learn.

If I acted like that in public (and this was before tazers), the cops were the least of my worries. When my MOM got a hold of me...

And using the tools we're given properly - couldn't agree more!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information