Welcome to the APBWeb.
    Standard Dave is offline Constable

'Dangerous' pitbull is shot dead

Police marksmen have shot dead an American pitbull dog after it had repeatedly bitten a 33-year-old man and seriously injured a police officer.
    Officers arrived at a house in Joyner Road, Hesters Way, Cheltenham, and found an injured man was trying to fend the animal off outside the house.

A 34-year-old man from Cheltenham was arrested later under the Dangerous Dogs Act.
    The policeman and victim were taken to hospital with "severe injuries".

Police were called to the address at 1430 GMT. A man had suffered severe injuries to his wrist, legs and body as he attempted to tackle the dog with the help of a neighbour using a ladder.

The police officer was then also attacked as he came to the man's aid, and sustained injuries to his face and arm.

Two dog handlers were called and equipped with shields and lassos, they attempted to contain the dog.

Chief Inspector Steve Radcliffe, of Gloucestershire Police, said: "Extensive attempts were made to contain it but this proved impossible and the lives of dog handlers and other people nearby would have been put at risk if it had been allowed to continue acting ferociously any longer.

"It was therefore destroyed by marksmen. A man has been arrested and is currently helping with inquiries at Cheltenham Police Station."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/bristol/6304049.stm

BEB
    BEB is offline Banned
    Bad day to be a pitbull on LEF. Unlike those ************** who baked a puppy in another thread, I do blame the upbringing when it comes to dogs. Man can rise above his environment if he chooses.

Anyway, reason I'm replying here is a training question for man, not dog. As part of officer training is dealing with a physical encounter with a dog part of it? If so, any tips you could pass along?

"Don't get bit" Mom taught me that one. Beyond mom's perfectly perfect, yet impractical advice, when you do find yourself nose to nose with Puddles the Pitbull or Rex the Rottweiler, what do you do?

armygrnt502 is offline Making my streets safer, one day at a time
    Verified LEO
    To me its simple..if it has teeth it can or will bite you. I know we have put down a couple dogs since I have started policing, with only a small public outcry.

Once the public finds out that the dog has attacked a person or small child, the outcry is silenced.
    "Sometimes people need a little help. Sometimes people need to be forgiven. And sometimes they need to go to jail."

spcwes is offline Wookie!!!!
    Verified LEO
    Pit bulls arent even in the top 10 of most dangerous dogs or most prone to bit according to the CDC. It is just the power they have draws attention.
    STOP RESISTING!!!!

For he is God's servant to do you good, but if you do wrong, be afraid, for he does not bear the sword for nothing. He is God's servant, an agent of wrath to bring punishment on the wrongdoer.

The opinions expressed in this post are mine, and mine alone. They are NOT the opinions of my Agency or my Agency Heads.

Piggybank Cop is offline Nobody important.
    I have a Doberman and a Shar-pei both are kittens.

The owner should be horsewhipped.

We are the thin blue line
    between you
    and all the money in the world.

And no you can't have any.

BEB
    BEB is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by 1sgkelly View Post
    I have a Doberman and a Shar-pei both are kittens.

The owner should be horsewhipped.

That I can agree with. Dobermans I've been around have been more more inclined to cuddle and use their pointy snouts to force under your arm for more ear rubbing than anything.

Quote Originally Posted by BugEyedBeast View Post
    That I can agree with. Dobermans I've been around have been more more inclined to cuddle and use their pointy snouts to force under your arm for more ear rubbing than anything.
    That is just what my Bob does.

between you

Jim1348 is offline Rookie
    Verified LEO
    I was bitten by a Pit Bull/Mastiff cross about a year and a half ago. Unfortunately "Fluffy" suddenly passed away from an unexpected case of lead poisoning. I had barely holstered my Glock when some woman came up to me and said, "I can't believe you just did that!" I was still dripping blood from my left hand when she told me that. I didn't dare respond to her for fear that whatever would come out of my mouth probably wouldn't have been very nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim1348 View Post
    I was bitten by a Pit Bull/Mastiff cross about a year and a half ago. Unfortunately "Fluffy" suddenly passed away from an unexpected case of lead poisoning. I had barely holstered my Glock when some woman came up to me and said, "I can't believe you just did that!" I was still dripping blood from my left hand when she told me that. I didn't dare respond to her for fear that whatever would come out of my mouth probably wouldn't have been very nice.
    Sorry you got bit, did you nail the owner?

ps: I would have ripped her head off, just for being so stupid.
    between you

spcwes is offline Wookie!!!!
    Verified LEO
    That is the way it happens, we had a guy that did not shoot the lab that bit him (two deputies bitten by labs in same day) because of our POS Sheriff.

I told him I don't care if I get fired, no dog bites me and draws blood without a lead injection, period.
    STOP RESISTING!!!!

For he is God's servant to do you good, but if you do wrong, be afraid, for he does not bear the sword for nothing. He is God's servant, an agent of wrath to bring punishment on the wrongdoer.

The opinions expressed in this post are mine, and mine alone. They are NOT the opinions of my Agency or my Agency Heads.

Norm357 is offline Corporal
    Supporting Member Lvl 2
    Quote Originally Posted by spcwes View Post
    Pit bulls arent even in the top 10 of most dangerous dogs or most prone to bit according to the CDC. It is just the power they have draws attention.
    Uh oh! Common sense in a pit bull thread!
    dlefdal said:
    Ummmm, what if I don't like thumbs in my butt?

mavriktu is offline Patrol Sgt.
    Verified LEO
    As stated in another post,had to have my deputy kill one yesterday after he went on a complaint that it had killed another neighbors full grown (think german shepard sizewise)pet dog.On arrival at the pitt owners house the dog chased him back to his unit (oc had NO effect)while on the cell with me,the pitt started chasing a garbageman,I said "kill the F******

Standard Dave is offline Constable
    Quote Originally Posted by BugEyedBeast View Post
    Bad day to be a pitbull on LEF. Unlike those ************** who baked a puppy in another thread, I do blame the upbringing when it comes to dogs. Man can rise above his environment if he chooses.

Anyway, reason I'm replying here is a training question for man, not dog. As part of officer training is dealing with a physical encounter with a dog part of it? If so, any tips you could pass along?

"Don't get bit" Mom taught me that one. Beyond mom's perfectly perfect, yet impractical advice, when you do find yourself nose to nose with Puddles the Pitbull or Rex the Rottweiler, what do you do?

I was told that it works the same for fighting any animal (including humans) in that if they can't see they can't fight, if they can't breath they can't fight and if they can't move they can't fight.

So blind it, chock it or disable it before it can do any of those to you.

bayern is online now Officer First Class
    Verified LEO

Dog vs Cop

We had a Deputy shoot a dog that attacked him while on Patrol. The Deputy was fired. The dog belonged to the Sheriff.

Thread Information