Welcome to the APBWeb.
    kdm0409 is offline ^ Female Deputy

7-year-old takes joyride in mom's truck

7-year-old takes joyride in mom's truck
    Wednesday, January 11, 2006
    By David Melson

A 7-year-old boy's joyride ended at his home late Monday afternoon after he was pursued at low speeds for approximately three miles by Shelbyville police.
    The boy has been emotionally upset since his father's military deployment, a family member explained to the Times-Gazette as a possible underlying cause of the incident.

Officers had been alerted of an erratic driver and were on the alert for a full-size Dodge pickup truck.

The boy, driving his mother's truck which fit the description, was initially spotted by police on Madison Street at Alton Avenue about 5:30 p.m., Officer Charles A. Merlo Jr. said.

Officers, with blue lights and siren activated, followed the boy out 82 Bypass to Depot Street, where the truck struck a utility pole, and Belmont Avenue to his home in the Meadowlark Drive area off Highway 130 South.

"He slid across the double yellow line into oncoming traffic, then corrected and got back into the proper lane" on Madison Street, Officer Josh Leverette said.

"The vehicle struck a highway sign and utility pole on the passenger side and nearly hit oncoming cars on Belmont Avenue and the bridge (at Coney Island Road).

"He's lucky he didn't get killed," Merlo said. "If the truck's airbag had gone off, at his age and size he could have died."

The boy was driving "all over the road" but didn't reach speeds beyond 45-50 mph and at times was going as low as 35 mph, Merlo and Leverette said.

"He's a young juvenile!" officers exclaimed over police radio as the boy pulled into his mother's driveway.

Officers accompanied the child into his home to seek a parent, Leverette said. The child was then "taken into custody" by Leverette and is charged in juvenile court with five counts of reckless endangerment and one count each of driving without a license, leaving the scene of an accident, evading by motor vehicle and joyriding.

The family member said the boy is "large for his age" and Merlo said he was the size of a 10-year-old child.

Juvenile charges have been filed against the youth.
    For a minute I thought this was my nephew....whew...this was funny to hear the radio traffic on this yesterday...Then it was really funny once they found out it was only a 7 yr old..
    It is better to be tried by 12, than carried by 6.
    ______________________________ __________
    An invisible red thread connects those who are destined to meet, regardless of time, place, or circumstance. The thread may stretch or tangle, but will never break.
    In vino veritas!

Terminator is offline BANNED
    It's hard to believe what kids so young are doing these days, especially when I think of my childhood.

kdm0409 is offline ^ Female Deputy
    Quote Originally Posted by Terminator
    It's hard to believe what kids so young are doing these days, especially when I think of my childhood.
    yeah tell me about it...but the family is trying to say that it is b/c his father is in Iraq or wherever....Ya know my dad was in the military and was gone a lot...I didn't do this kind of stuff....
    It is better to be tried by 12, than carried by 6.
    An invisible red thread connects those who are destined to meet, regardless of time, place, or circumstance. The thread may stretch or tangle, but will never break.
    In vino veritas!

pmfc is offline ^
    I wonder if he's gonna get on RP in ten years asking if this will hurt his chances of becoming a cop?

Thread Information