Welcome to the APBWeb.
    Pedro56 is offline Englewood Ranger/Infidel Extraordinaire
    Verified LEO

Thanks for saving my Tax Dollars

County inmate hangs self
    Was in solitary confinement for having a knife

January 29, 2007
    BY ESTHER J. CEPEDA Staff Reporter

A Cook County Jail inmate was found hanged in his cell at 3:15 a.m. Sunday -- a week after being put in disciplinary segregation for possessing a shank.

Edward Smith, 37, most recently of Tinley Park, was found by a correctional officer hanging from a noose fashioned from his bed sheet, according to Cook County sheriff's spokeswoman Sally Daly. A suicide note lay near his body.

The Cook County medical examiner's office ruled his death a suicide, but a motive has not been determined. The contents of the suicide note were not available.

Accused of fatal stabbing

Smith had just been segregated from the general population in Division 9 -- the facility for maximum-security detainees -- for having a shank, or homemade knife.

Daly said a correctional officer had seen Smith alive in the solitary cell about an hour before he was discovered dead by an officer delivering breakfast trays.

Smith was in jail awaiting trial for the murder of 27-year-old Vicky Kowal, who was chased down and stabbed to death with a kitchen knife as she walked near her home last June.

Kowal's murder drew headlines because Smith -- whom neighbors had described as a frequently erratic "nut case" -- was disarmed by an off-duty policeman working in his garage hours after being promoted to the rank of captain.

The officer, Gerard Carroll, apprehended Smith after telling him, "You don't bring a knife to a gunfight."

ecepeda@suntimes.com
    http://www.lawenforcementforums.com/forums/signaturepics/sigpic763_2.gif

"I am the guy that keeps Mister Dead in his pocket." -'Mad' Max Rockatansky

"An Englewood Ranger is no stranger to Danger.." -Unk

Good Night Chesty Where Ever You Are.

A Good Friend will bail you out of jail, but a true friend will be sitting next to you in the cell saying, "That was Awesome."

God Made Police Men so Fireman Would Have Heroes.

osugirlP103 is offline Officer First Class
    he got what he needed, sounds like someone is getting an extra egg for breakfast
    LAW ENFORCEMENT HELPING"PERPS" SLIP DOWN STAIRS SINCE 1766!

bird1 is offline Corporal
    Verified LEO
    oh! well!
    " The hardest thing about disarming an armed suspect is not slipping on your own shit "

Michael P. Gordon E.O.W 08 Aug 2004

The opinions given in my posts DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are MY PERSONAL OPINIONS and I accept sole responsibility as such.

keith720 is offline Finely Aged
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    The bad part is that some Corrections officer is going to be called on ther carpet for not finding him sooner, and the dirtbags family will try to sue the county for depriving them of this POS. Good riddance to bad rubbish!
    For the morning will come. Brightly will it shine on the brave and true, kindly upon all who suffer for the cause, glorious upon the tombs of heroes. Thus will shine the dawn.

Winston Churchill

Just KC is offline Who?......Me?
    Probably first time he did something RIGHT in his life!
    ~Karie

"I used to care
    but now I take a pill for that"

lynnz05 is offline Corporal
    Quote Originally Posted by keith758 View Post
    The bad part is that some Corrections officer is going to be called on ther carpet for not finding him sooner, and the dirtbags family will try to sue the county for depriving them of this POS. Good riddance to bad rubbish!
    My thoughts exactly.
    What I say is my opinion, not my employers or that of my academic institution.

armygrnt502 is offline Making my streets safer, one day at a time
    Verified LEO
    How true...now lets get the rest of the ones that are like him to do the same and our national debt would dissapear in no time with the money we would save.
    "Sometimes people need a little help. Sometimes people need to be forgiven. And sometimes they need to go to jail."

Thread Information