Welcome to the APBWeb.
    BEB
    BEB is offline Banned

Woman says she was raped, gets charged, denied pill

If you want to legislate, don't become a judge. If you want to preach, become a preacher, not a nurse.

http://www.baynews9.com/content/36/2...d,+denied+pill

Different writeup from another source:
    http://www.wftv.com/news/10879502/detail.html

Woman says she was raped, gets charged, denied pill

A woman who says she was raped during Saturday's Gasparilla Parade was herself arrested after police said they found she had an outstanding warrant.

The woman, a 21-year-old college student, said she was walking away from the parade at about 1:30 p.m. when a man grabbed her, took her behind some bushes, and raped her.

The woman called police, who took her to a clinic and then arrested her because she had an outstanding warrant from Sarasota County. The charge was failure to appear on a grand theft accusation when she was 17.

The woman's attorney said she thought she had taken care of the charge and was surprised it was still outstanding.

Tampa police are investigating the circumstances of her arrest.

"We're always very concerned about a victim," said Tampa Police Department spokeswoman Laura McElroy. "And it's very important that we always have compassion for victims. So the fact that she ended up in the Hillsborough County Jail has left us with a lot of questions about exactly how this unfolded."

The victim also said a nurse supervisor at the jail would not give her the "morning after" pill that she had received at the clinic.

The pill, which prevents pregnancy, must be taken in two doses. The woman took one pill, but said she was denied the second pill by a nurse supervisor at the jail.

"The supervisor said the morning after pill was against her, the supervisor's, religion and refused to dispense it," the alleged victim's mother said.

The pill can be taken up to 72 hours after a rape or sexual intercourse, but pregnancy becomes more likely the longer after the encounter the pill is taken.

A judge initially denied bond, but the woman has since been released on bail.

In accordance with Bay News 9's Crime Guidelines, we are not naming the woman because she is a victim of a sex crime.

1*girl Guest
    What the crap. She should have known by the time she graduated nursing school she'd be dispensing meds against her personal beliefs. Unless maybe that's why she's the nursing super at the jail rather than some medical facility? Re-re!

Growler is offline I is not happy
    Verified LEO
    Personal ain't professional. Damn. I smell a nice hot cup of LAWSUIT!!!
    She's probably Nurse Ratchet

Ducky is offline Enforcer General
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    I sincerely hope the nurse gets fired, and then is taken captive by Christian Scientists after a car wreck. See how she likes having others dictate her health based on their personal beliefs.
    \\
    ` ` ` ` < ` )___/\
    `` ` ` ` (3--(____)
    "...but to forget your duck, of course, means you're really screwed." - Gary Larson
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtN1YnoL46Q

Willowdared is offline Bendy not Breaky
    Hmmmm, I believe it is a direct violation of NCIC rules to run a victim.

Wonder how they found out she had a 4 year old warrant....and a juvie warrant at that.
    Molly Weasley makes Chuck Norris eat his vegetables.

Do not puff, shade, skew, tailor, firm up, stretch, massage,
    or otherwise distort statements of fact.
    FBI Special Agent Coleen Rowley

jmur5074 is offline Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Well, the fact that she was arrested, is a non issue. I guess being as she was a rape victim, it might have been a bit extreme. But I've arrested complainants before on warrants.

But yeah....maybe they shouldn't have seeing as she was a rape victim. I dunno. On the flip side, if they didn't arrest her, they would have probably been in the Sgt's office being scolded for not enforcing a warrant.
    No one has greater love than this, to lay down ones life for ones friends - John 15:13

"The Wicked Flee When No Man Pursueth: But The Righteous Are Bold As A Lion".

We lucky few, we band of brothers. For he who today sheds his blood with me shall be my brother.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~
    The opinions, beliefs, and ideas expressed in this post are mine, and mine alone. They are NOT the opinions, beliefs, ideas, or policies of my Agency, Police Chief, City Council, or any member of my department.

AITG is offline Master Officer
    Verified LEO
    This really turns my crank. If you believe in pacifism, fine. Don't join the army, don't become a cop. If you are a vegan, fine. Don't become a meat cutter. If you have religious issues with medicine, fine. DON'T BECOME A PHARMACIST OR A NURSE.
    This is the exact same crap as the Moslem cab drivers in MN who don't want to take fares that have alcohol or dogs. Fine - get out of the cab business.
    More proof of social entropy.
    If I wanted people to like me I'd be a fireman.

Well, I know there is always more to every story....but I also know I would get my azz fired if I ran a victim for any reason other then perhaps TRO info, or to see if they are reported as missing.

Hope they had good PC.

jmur5074 is offline Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by PDawg View Post
    Well, I know there is always more to every story....but I also know I would get my azz fired if I ran a victim for any reason other then perhaps TRO info, or to see if they are reported as missing.

Hope they had good PC.
    Seriously???

Screw that. Like I said....a rape victim is probably a different story.

But I've arrested theft complainants, traffic complainants, damage to property complainants, etc etc.

Whatever

haha
    No one has greater love than this, to lay down ones life for ones friends - John 15:13

"The Wicked Flee When No Man Pursueth: But The Righteous Are Bold As A Lion".

We lucky few, we band of brothers. For he who today sheds his blood with me shall be my brother.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~
    The opinions, beliefs, and ideas expressed in this post are mine, and mine alone. They are NOT the opinions, beliefs, ideas, or policies of my Agency, Police Chief, City Council, or any member of my department.

Quote Originally Posted by jmur5074 View Post
    Seriously???
    Yeah, my department's big on liability issues.

Jackalope is offline Yell O
    As far as not arresting her, I thought a warrant was a court order to arrest the subject, not just a suggestion. Couldn't a cop be held in contempt if he let a wanted person go?
    "I'm not a coward,
    I've just never been tested
    I'd like to think that if I was,
    I would pass"
    ~Mighty Mighty Bosstones~

J-WS6 is offline What Willis was talking about
    I run everybody. Just because your reporting somthing doesnt lower the chances of you having a Capital murder warrant.

Lizzy is offline Rookie
    That woman just sent the nursing profession back a few steps. I hate to see people like that in a position of power. Hmmmmmmm wonder if she is into Scientology since she is in that neck of the woods.
    Hate is when someone in my profession makes others look bad.

Thread Information