Welcome to the APBWeb.
    Terminator is offline BANNED

Officer shoots unarmed insane man on video

I'm not sure of the whole story but an Officer from Oklahoma City shoots the deranged man. The guy clearly wasn't armed and their were 7 Officers around him...soooo, I'm not sure what happened with this.

http://www.wimp.com/copshoots/

Based on what you see on tape, would you have used deadly force?
    Last edited by Terminator; 01-12-06 at 09:08 PM.

Darin is offline I'm sooooo gonna score
    Verified LEO
    Wheres the video link?

Damn I hate when that happens.....ok, problem fixed.

Verified LEO
    OK I would need some background info on this. With the sucky sound quality it almost sounds like a taser clicking in the background. Maybe he was shot with beanbag rounds or some other less-lethals.

Lazy Fed is offline Curmudgeon
    It looks like a beanbag round to me. Those idiots filming are stupid and thought that they shot him with a gun. Cause if you notice it looks like they shot him in the ass or upper leg, and then they stand him up and walk him to the ambo. If I got shot im my ass with a gun I wouldn't be going anywhere.

Verified LEO
    I agree....and also.....how do they know he isnt armed? He could have easily had a handgun in his waistband.

FishTail Guest
    Uhh...I saw him get tased, I sure as shit didn't see him get shot.

Indy Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by LongTail
    Uhh...I saw him get tased, I sure as shit didn't see him get shot.
    Me too

+1 as well to the comment about the camera guy not knowing if he's armed. Just because it's not in his hands doesn't mean he doesn't have a weapon on him somewhere.

Jay7376 is offline Master Officer
    When the crazy guy goes to the ground, you can see a small black thingy fall near his left elbow. Looks like that could have been the beanbag.

But definitely was not shot, if at all, with a regular round.
    I'm a PUBLIC SERVANT, so I'm not permitted to use my own judgement in any way.

121Traffic is offline Just Us
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Yeah, I think I've seen a better quality copy somewhere, and I'm almost positive that it was a taser.

But to answer another point brought up, if a crazy dude had a gun in his waistband, would you be justified in laying him out? I would argue no...not unless he made an overt movement towards the weapon, or diaplayed behavior that would lead you to believe that use of the weapon was imminent. It would be hard to justify not holding your fire when the gun's in his pants and his hands are in the air.
    "If anything worthwhile comes of this tragedy, it should be the realization by every citizen that often the only thing that stands between them and losing everything they hold dear... is the man wearing a badge." -- Ronald Reagan, in the wake of the deaths of 4 CHP troopers in the Newhall Incident, 1970

The opinions given in my posts DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "121Traffic" on O/R.

Quote Originally Posted by 121Traffic
    But to answer another point brought up, if a crazy dude had a gun in his waistband, would you be justified in laying him out? I would argue no...not unless he made an overt movement towards the weapon, or diaplayed behavior that would lead you to believe that use of the weapon was imminent. It would be hard to justify not holding your fire when the gun's in his pants and his hands are in the air.
    Generally speaking, I agree.

BEK
    BEK is offline Lieutenant
    Verified LEO
    My .02 is that you can hear a shot gun being racked after all three shots. If this guy was shot with a lethal round from a shot gun ie. buckshot he wouldnt be moving,,,,unless its the same guy from the deer video.....

chris2001 is offline Captain
    He was originally shot with bean bag rounds. That did not work and then you here the taser being deployed. There never was an actual gun with bullets shot at the man. Everything was less-lethal.
    Being the best is not what always counts. What counts is always trying your best.

Remember who you are, and where you came from. That way you never get a big head.

May those that lost their lives in 9-11 RIP, for the things you did not many could do. You left so many behind so that you could save so few. For now we stand strong as one, and will not look back till the fight is done. (me)

http://www.danasoft.com/sig/Nowwhat%...5Csuphomey.jpg

The opinions given in my posts DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are MY PERSONAL OPINIONS only.

Thread Information