Welcome to the APBWeb.
    bird1 is offline Corporal
    Verified LEO

iPod Ban Proposal In New York City

Lawmaker Proposes Ban On Walking With iPods
    Ban Would Apply To MP3 Players, Blackberrys

NEW YORK -- A New York state senator from Brooklyn said on Tuesday he plans to introduce legislation that would ban people from using an MP3 player, cell phone, Blackberry or any other electronic device while crossing the street in either New York City or Buffalo.
    Television station WNBC reported that Sen. Carl Kruger proposed the ban in response to two recent pedestrian deaths in his district, including a 23-year-old man who was struck and killed last month while listening to his iPod.

"While people are tuning into their iPods and cell phones, they're tuning out the world around them," Kruger said. The proposed law would make talking on cell phones while crossing the street a comparable offense to jaywalking.

Some pedestrians said they were not worried about their safety while using their electronic devices while walking.

"I look for the light," said Venus Montes, of Williamsburg.

"I'm still looking," said Lance Gordon, of Far Rockaway. "It's not like I'm not paying attention."

Others said the proposed ban would not work.

"I don't think anyone's going to be up for this," said Patricia Lewis, of Staten Island. "I don't think anyone wants this."

Other pedestrians said they thought the proposal was a good idea.

"It's too dangerous," said Nicole Lake of Jersey City. "Drivers don't pay attention and pedestrians don't pay attention."
    " The hardest thing about disarming an armed suspect is not slipping on your own shit "

Michael P. Gordon E.O.W 08 Aug 2004

The opinions given in my posts DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are MY PERSONAL OPINIONS and I accept sole responsibility as such.

Cheech Guest
    WTf. they can make it a law all they want. Watch officers enforce it.. Blah. Fucking tired of stupid shit these people come up with

Vendetta is offline Today, We are All Hokies
    Verified LEO
    I wondered why there are so many used IPODS on E-Bay from New York City
    "And don't go home, and don't go to eat, and don't play with yourself. It wouldn't look nice on my highway", Buford T. Justice

#1 Rule in Police: Sometimes its easier to ask Forgiveness than it is to ask Permission

No one knows what it's like
    To be the bad man
    To be the sad man
    Behind blue eyes

BEB
    BEB is offline Banned
    Wonder how the bill is worded. For example - Is it considered in use if the headphones/earbuds are still in place, but the music is off? Now how do you prove it? What nonsense.

Moron state senator here introduced a bill to ban use of mp3 players while driving. His intent was to ban using headphones/earbuds and people looking down to make selections. Though I thought headphones while driving were already banned.

Way it was written would put me in violation if it'd passed. You see, I plug the mp3 player into the radio, hit play, listen to the audiobooks and podcasts I put on it, and at the end of the drive hit stop. If anything it's safer than listening to the radio and changing the station in search of things to listen to. But let's not let reality get in the way of a feel-good-do-nothing law!

This rant brought to you by the internet, which is a series of tubes, or so Senator Ted Stevens thinks.

Cheech Guest
    Pot smoking legislators who have nothing better to do

Cheech Guest
    Pot smoking legislators.

Star Man is offline Guns only have two enemies; rust and politicians
    Verified LEO
    Like its any worse than any frickin walkman radio. GEEEZZZZZ They need to get a frickin clue,,,, but then again they are being led by people similiar to if not exactly like Mrs Hillary "Dumbass Fuhking Liberal" Clinton.

Lets see,,, umteen million people, crime rate astronomical, police being murdered in the streets and in undercover operations,,, and they wanna ban I-Pods???????

Jackalope is offline Yell O
    Just in case you needed another reason not to visit NYC.
    "I'm not a coward,
    I've just never been tested
    I'd like to think that if I was,
    I would pass"
    ~Mighty Mighty Bosstones~

Boner is offline Veterans Affairs Alcohol Disposal Unit
    I think they call it natural selection. If you cant figure out that you need to look both ways before crossing a street then you have bigger problems.
    "History will be kind to me for I intend to write it."
    Winston Churchill

I bought a doughnut and they gave me a receipt for the doughnut... I don't need a receipt for the doughnut. I give you money and you give me the doughnut, end of transaction. We don't need to bring ink and paper into this. I can't imagine a scenario that I would have to prove that I bought a doughnut. To some skeptical friend, Don't even act like I didn't buy a doughnut, I've got the documentation right here... It's in my file at home. ...Under "D".

Piggybank Cop is offline Nobody important.
    “"It's too dangerous," said Nicole Lake of Jersey City. "Drivers don't pay attention and pedestrians don't pay attention."”

How about a law about not paying attention?

“Stupid people. Stupid ideas..id like to see them take my ipod away.”

From my cold dead fingers; if I had one.

“I think they call it natural selection. If you cant figure out that you need to look both ways before crossing a street then you have bigger problems.”

Darwin awards.

We are the thin blue line
    between you
    and all the money in the world.

And no you can't have any.

Thread Information