Welcome to the APBWeb.
    BEB
    BEB is offline Banned

Italians To Play Soccer With No Fans

I wonder how many cops have been killed over the years at soccer riots. Never did get why soccer games so often seem to lead to rioting.

The issue I find interesting in this story is this.
    A decree approved by the Cabinet on Wednesday also bans clubs from selling blocks of tickets to visiting fans and allows authorities to bar suspected hooligans from entering stadiums, even if they have not been convicted of crimes.
    Being Italy rather than here and being that the stadiums are surely public property I'm merely curious about other's views on this. If it was here and it was private property I'd be sharpening the pitchfork and looking for a politician. Of course a private venue should have private security in the first place, IMO.

http://wfrv.com/watercooler/watercoo...039115846.html

Italians To Play Soccer With No Fans

(AP) ROME Only six soccer stadiums in Italy meet security requirements, meaning that league games in other arenas will be played without fans following last week's death of a police officer during riots at a game in Sicily.

The Olympic Stadium in Rome made the list drawn up during a meeting of security and sports officials Thursday, while the San Siro stadium in Milan did not, the Interior Ministry said.

The other stadiums that were deemed safe were in Genoa, Siena, Cagliari, Turin and Palermo. Arenas in Florence, Naples and Bologna were among the 25 considered unsafe.

According to the findings of security standards at the stadiums, five of Sunday's Serie A games will be played behind closed doors, while five will be open to the public.

Officials said, however, that further checks on the stadiums would be carried out in the coming days. The officials also banned all night matches in the Serie A and in the lower divisions.

Banning fans from arenas that are not considered safe and other security measures were prompted by the killing of a policeman in rioting during and after a Serie A match in Sicily on Friday. Italian agency and television reports said police were holding a 17-year-old person who was being investigated for the murder of 38-year-old policeman Filippo Raciti.

Sports officials halted all games immediately after Raciti's death, and the Italian soccer federation said late Wednesday that league matches would resume this weekend.

The safety requirements at stadiums include having closed circuit surveillance cameras and turnstiles at the entrances.

AC Milan vice president Adriano Galliani said officials have been restructuring the stadium to conform security measures for some time.

"We think it's deeply unfair to close a stadium like San Siro, for which we have already spent $26 million on works that are major," Galliani said on the club's Web site. "We have nothing to reproach ourselves."

Italy midfielder Gennaro Gattuso, who plays with AC Milan, said empty stadiums are a disappointment.

"We can't talk about soccer and playing it without the fans," Gattuso said. "How enthusiastic can you get?"

A decree approved by the Cabinet on Wednesday also bans clubs from selling blocks of tickets to visiting fans and allows authorities to bar suspected hooligans from entering stadiums, even if they have not been convicted of crimes.

Other measures ban clubs from having economic ties with fan groups and stiffen prison terms for committing violence against police from five to 15 years.

The measures must be approved by parliament within 60 days to remain in effect. The Cabinet also approved a proposal for more long-term changes, putting club stewards in charge of guaranteeing security inside stadiums and involving the clubs in the ownership of the sports arenas, now owned by local authorities.

At least 38 people have been arrested, including 15 minors, following Friday's violence at Catania's stadium, where the local team was playing cross-island rival Palermo.

Star Man is offline Guns only have two enemies; rust and politicians
    Verified LEO
    I guess it's a business and they can refuse anyone service (tickets) they chose as long as it doesn't fall under descrimination (ie racial type profiling - like only lock out blacks or such, or any other no-no's).

10-42Adam is offline Major
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    They acted like idiots, now they're just paying for their actions. I only feel bad for the people who get to miss out on watching the games and didn't partake in any of the riot activities. Now they too will be punished because of other people's dumb decisions.
    Calm Like A Bomb...

A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity. An optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty.
    -Winston Churchill

Jackalope is offline Yell O
    Soccer sucks anyway. I never understood why people watched it.
    "I'm not a coward,
    I've just never been tested
    I'd like to think that if I was,
    I would pass"
    ~Mighty Mighty Bosstones~

Star Man is offline Guns only have two enemies; rust and politicians
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Jackalope View Post
    Soccer sucks anyway. I never understood why people watched it.
    +1 to that.......

Thread Information