Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO

Police Officer Nearly Run Over

http://www.wlbt.com/Global/story.asp?S=6083062

Jackson MS 02/13/07
    Police Officer Nearly Run Over by Stolen Car

By Julie Straw
    Julie@wlbt.net

A Jackson Police Officer on a motorcycle is nearly run over while trying to stop a stolen vehicle. The car was first spotted going North on Interstate 55 near Adkins Boulevard and was later found on Azalea Drive off Northside Drive. Skycopter 3 and officers from three Jackson Police Precincts joined in the hunt for the stolen car.

With skycopter above and several Jackson Police units below, the search was on for a 2000 silver Daewoo Leganza. It all began Tuesday morning when JPD Officer Lafayette Martin caught the car speeding Interstate 55 and attempted to pull it over.

"It was just one of those wierd days where the actual traffic officer runs into a stolen car and it goes from there," said Martin.

Officer Martin followed the silver Daewoo to the busy intersection on Adkins and Beasley. The car made a U turn and came straight for him.

"I was thinking, I can't believe this guy is actually going to run over me with my motorcycle," said Martin.

Martin was able to get out of the way with only seconds to spare. The car clipped his motorcyle and sped off.

"Anytime anyone is trying to run over a police officer then it's either stolen or they got something they are trying to hide," said Martin.

Jackson Police and Skycopter 3 searched neighborhoods in North West Jackson for more than an hour. Officers eventually found the vehicle at this home in the 300 block of Azalea Drive. The front bumper on the driver's side is scratched where it hit officer Martin's motorcycle. Three young black male suspects were taken into custody. Police believe the suspects exchanged the vehicle's license plate with a paper tag from Red Smith Auto Sales in Jackson.

"They probably have been driving, smoking marijuana. The car had a strong odor of marijuana inside. I think they were joy riding and weren't expecting to see police early this morning," said Martin.

Jackson Police say the driver, 19 year old Cleveland Benfield of Jackson will be charged with auto theft as well as numerous traffic violations including speeding, wreckless driving, and failure to yield.

Jackson Police say this is an ongoing investigation and more charges may follow. Meanwhile the two other suspects arrested in this case are juveniles and their information has not been released.
    "It wouldn't take much for me to up and run...
    to another life somewhere in the sun."
    "There's something inherently wrong with having to put on a bullet-proof vest and a gun to go to work."-(An old friend)

Any statements or opinions given in my postings or profile do not reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employer or anyone else other than me. They are my personal opinions or statements only, thereby releasing my employer , any other entity, or any other person of any liability or involvement in anything posted under the username "Cidp24" on O/R.

BEB
    BEB is offline Banned
    And here's what happens when someone on a motorcycle is running from the police....

...and hits another police car coming from the other direction.

Flagged as adult, not sure why. No gore, just idiots getting hurt like any other YouTube vid.
    Definitely going to leave a mark though.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rHPYJCFITMY

Thread Information