Welcome to the APBWeb.
    jmur5074 is offline Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator

HUGE Traffic Jam...

By MICHAEL RUBINKAM, Associated Press Writer

HAMBURG, Pa. - National Guardsmen in Humvees ferried food, fuel and baby supplies Thursday to hundreds of motorists stranded on a 50-mile stretch of highway for nearly a day by a monster storm blamed for 15 deaths.

The traffic jam on the icy, hilly section of Interstate 78 in eastern Pennsylvania forced authorities to also shut down portions of I-81 and I-80 Thursday afternoon as they struggled to gain ground on the colossal traffic jam.

Drivers were frustrated they were let on the road at all. State police did not close all the entrance ramps to I-78 until around 5 p.m., more than 24 hours after vehicles starting getting caught.

"Why would they have that exit open if they were just going to let us sit there?" said a crying Deborah Miller. Her 5-year-old son was trapped in the car with her, running a 103-degree fever from strep throat.

The sprawling storm system hit Wednesday and blew out to sea Thursday, leaving huge snow piles, frigid temperatures and tens of thousands without power across the Midwest and Northeast.

Numerous areas saw more than a foot of snow, with 42 inches falling in the southern Adirondacks in New York. Gusty wind had morning wind chills below zero, and in some areas, the snow was followed by several inches of ice.

A few flights were canceled Thursday after numerous cancelations Wednesday, and many school districts that had canceled classes Wednesday extended the unplanned vacation by an extra day.

"This storm was rare because of the unusual amount of snow and ice," Pennsylvania Transportation Secretary Allen D. Biehler said. "This series of accidents that blocked our way made it really, really difficult."

The National Guard's aid operation ended once the stranded vehicles were cleared from I-78 Thursday evening. Some vehicles mostly trucks were still being towed after becoming stuck in sections of the other two highways, Pennsylvania transportation officials said.

Road-clearing operations were expected to continue through the night and into the morning. Transportation spokesman Sean Brown said he could not say when the roads would reopen.

Eugene Coleman, who is hyperglycemic, was trapped for 20 hours while on his way home to Hartford, Conn. from visiting his terminally ill mother in Georgia, along with his girlfriend and pregnant daughter.

"How could you operate a state like this? It's totally disgusting," Coleman said. "God forbid somebody gets really stuck on the highway and has a life-threatening emergency. That person would have died."

Authorities also were flooded with calls from frustrated motorists wanting to know why the road hadn't reopened.

Police said they took fuel to some motorists and food to others, including several diabetics who called 911.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070216/...winter_weather
    No one has greater love than this, to lay down ones life for ones friends - John 15:13

"The Wicked Flee When No Man Pursueth: But The Righteous Are Bold As A Lion".

We lucky few, we band of brothers. For he who today sheds his blood with me shall be my brother.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~
    The opinions, beliefs, and ideas expressed in this post are mine, and mine alone. They are NOT the opinions, beliefs, ideas, or policies of my Agency, Police Chief, City Council, or any member of my department.

TXPO710 is offline Dumb ole' Cowboy
    Verified LEO
    Hmmm, let's see. I can read/listen to the weather, I decied to drive anyway, but it's the states fault that I get stuck. Ok Kay then
    PS these arn't my pants either

121Traffic is offline Just Us
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    That guy was right. It is disgusting tht we don't have enough state troopers there to shut off EVERY single exit along a fifty mile stretch, AND bring your unprepared ass food, water, and fuel! Because cops can be everywhere at once!
    "If anything worthwhile comes of this tragedy, it should be the realization by every citizen that often the only thing that stands between them and losing everything they hold dear... is the man wearing a badge." -- Ronald Reagan, in the wake of the deaths of 4 CHP troopers in the Newhall Incident, 1970

The opinions given in my posts DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "121Traffic" on O/R.

Thread Information