Welcome to the APBWeb.
    121Traffic is offline Just Us
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator

An update to one of the saddest stories to ever unfold...

http://www.9news.com/news/article.aspx?storyid=65120

I don't know how this guys is doing it...getting up each day and going on with life. I don't think I would be strong enough. I would either eat my gun, or turn into The Punisher.

Please don't watch the videos if you don't want to be blubbering all over yourselves. It is sad stuff, and it honestly makes me tear up badly...not many things do that these days.

Cherish your family and loved ones, guys and girls. Everyone be safe.

______________________________ ______________

A father says he could send ‘a thousand thank you cards’

VIEW SLIDESHOW
    KUSA - Garrison Bingham would have been 3 years old Tuesday. He was a little boy who loved books. He loved to pretend and loved making animal sounds. His father says his enthusiasm was infectious.

"Too many people didn't get a chance to know him,” said his father, Frank Bingham. “It is tremendously disappointing that there wasn't more time together for all of us and that Macie and Garrison did not get the chance to grow up into the wonderful people they were already starting to be."

Frank Bingham’s family was killed in a hit and run accident on November 10.

Denver Police say the driver, 36-year-old Lawrence Trujillo, was drunk when he ran a red light and hit the Bingham family as they were crossing the street at 15th and Arapahoe in downtown Denver.

Frank’s wife, 39-year-old Becca, and his daughter and son, 4-year-old Macie, and 2-year-old Garrison, were killed. Frank was injured.

However, he says his physical injuries are nothing compared with the wounds to his heart.

Bingham says it is still hard to think too much about the fullness that made his family so special. To think about it magnifies the depth of what has been lost.

"I had a wonderful marriage to a fabulous woman and we had smart, healthy children,” he said. “I really try to be thankful for that. It's not much of a balance against the loss but I certainly wouldn't undo it all, even if I had the chance.”

“Becca was an amazing person. She was a very loyal friend and always had a deep sense of sincere kindness for everyone. She was a committed mother. She loved being a mom. People who know the kind of mother that Rebecca was have commented as to how difficult it would have been for her to survive had the kids not.”

He remembers how Macie was learning new things every day and was such a joy.

"I took her to school not long before the accident and she was in the backseat and counted to 100 for me," he said.

Frank says his house is too quiet now. He often turns on music to occupy the silence that used to be filled with his children singing, happily banging on the piano, and reading favorite nursery rhymes.

Hundreds of strangers who have heard about the accident have sent their wishes to him. There are baskets full of cards and letters at the Bingham house. Many share how the tragedy has given them a greater appreciation for their lives and their loved ones.

“I feel like I should write a thousand thank you cards,” said Frank. “It's too bad it takes something so horrible to make us think a bit more deeply sometimes. I am so thankful Becca and I held hands when we could, but now I wish we would have ten times as much. It's this combination of thankfulness and regret."

"We have choices. We can either sit on the opposite ends of the couch from our spouse or sit next to them and hold (them). We can save or children's artwork or not. Some things are so easy to neglect but I think in the grand scheme of life, the little things can be so profound."

Two of the letters that he’s received are from two people who tried to help save Macie and Garrison.

"I will never forget holding your son, trying desperately to breathe life back into him and wondering how cruel some people can be," wrote a doctor, who was at the scene of the accident.

The doctor had been in town from Illinois for a medical conference, only to happen upon the scene. He tried to rescue Garrison and wrote Frank as he sat at the airport, waiting to board his flight home.

"Today I am a different person. Difficulties or conflicts in my own life now seem so utterly insignificant ... Your son, I hope, has made me a better person,” wrote the doctor.

A woman who was also at the scene wrote: "I saw the little boy was asleep (in his stroller) and his sister sitting beside him was happily swinging her feet." She said moments later, "We heard a horrendous screech of tires."

The woman ran to the little girl’s side.

"There was no crying for help or pain like you might expect; only stillness, peace and sacredness. There was nothing any of us could do because God was already there," she wrote.

Frank says those two letters have impacted him greatly.

"I had avoided spending much time thinking about the violent nature of the incident. To hear there wasn't suffering ... it isn't what you would expect at all so, that was a relief. What I learned is really what I think deep down I had hoped to hear," he said.

Frank says he won’t spend his energy thinking about the driver.

"I consciously try to keep my mind out of that zone," he said. "If there ever was a case where the thoughtlessness ... the lack of good sense and humanity ever came across the court system, this has got to be one of them. I hope and pray it unfolds as it should."

He also hopes one day he’ll be able to forgive.

“I know that harboring unforgiveness can eat away at a person and I don’t want that,” he said. “I am trying to hang on to the positives, however few I can find. I don’t always feel that way. I am making a conscious effort each day.”

For now, he says he is just trying to take one step at a time and is leaning on his faith. He remembers something he read recently: “Faith that hasn’t been tested can’t be trusted.”

This test will last a lifetime.

"It's a process of healing, but it's not a process of getting beyond it. It will be a lifelong process," he said.

“I am grateful that so many people tell me how this is making them a better person. I sincerely hope and pray that it makes me a better person too.”

Because both Macie and Garrison loved books, children’s books are being collected in their honor and will be distributed to Denver Schools and to the Denver Public Library.

A memorial fund is set up through the Denver Foundation:

Rebecca, Macie and Garrison Bingham Memorial Fund
    950 South Cherry St. Suite 200
    Denver, CO 80246
    "If anything worthwhile comes of this tragedy, it should be the realization by every citizen that often the only thing that stands between them and losing everything they hold dear... is the man wearing a badge." -- Ronald Reagan, in the wake of the deaths of 4 CHP troopers in the Newhall Incident, 1970

The opinions given in my posts DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "121Traffic" on O/R.

Star Man is offline Guns only have two enemies; rust and politicians
    Verified LEO
    Hopefully the drunk that hit them dies in jail without ever seeing sunlight again! (unless they have a death penalty, then fry him!).

Star Man is offline Guns only have two enemies; rust and politicians
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by stokerress View Post
    or he had the dying guilt to live with everyday.
    Guilt isn't enough. He needs to rot and die in jail.

Willowdared is offline Bendy not Breaky
    Quote Originally Posted by Star Man View Post
    Guilt isn't enough. He needs to rot and die in jail.
    How much you wanna bet he was driving on a suspended license...suspended for DUI?

Absolutely heartbreaking.
    Molly Weasley makes Chuck Norris eat his vegetables.

Do not puff, shade, skew, tailor, firm up, stretch, massage,
    or otherwise distort statements of fact.
    FBI Special Agent Coleen Rowley

Just KC is offline Who?......Me?
    Man..that is rough....and i was complaining earlier about a headache.....

Really hope they catch the bastard that took his family away.
    ~Karie

"I used to care
    but now I take a pill for that"

Willowdared is offline Bendy not Breaky
    Hit-run suspect facing 3 counts vehicular homicide, DUI
    By Felisa Cardona
    Denver Post Staff Writer
    Article Last Updated: 11/13/2006 06:13:18 PM MST

The man accused of crashing into a family of four, killing a mother and her two children is also suspected of driving under the influence at the time of the crash.

Lawrence Trujillo was told that he is facing three counts of vehicular homicide while driving under the influence during a hearing on Sunday at the Denver City Jail.

Trujillo, 36, was arrested Saturday morning a day after police say he struck the Bingham family as they pushed a stroller carrying two children across 15th and Arapahoe streets in Lower Downtown Friday night.

Rebecca Bingham, 39, her 4-year-old daughter Macie and 2-year-old son Garrison were killed. Father and husband Frank Bingham, 41, survived.

Trujillo's bond was set at $250,000.
    Trujillo, wearing a pink polo shirt and jeans, was also told that he is facing three counts each of vehicular assault, leaving the scene of a fatal accident and one count of leaving the scene of an accident where there was serious bodily injury.

Police also arrested 35-year-old Eric Snell who they say was a passenger in Trujillo's truck.

Snell is facing charges of accessory to vehicular homicide and acessory to vehicular assault. He also appeared in court Sunday and his bond was set at $25,000.
    Molly Weasley makes Chuck Norris eat his vegetables.

Do not puff, shade, skew, tailor, firm up, stretch, massage,
    or otherwise distort statements of fact.
    FBI Special Agent Coleen Rowley

Virginian is offline Major
    Supporting Member Lvl 2
    Ohhhh God I'm with you, 121. I'd definitely lose it. The letters from the people who were at the scene were surprisingly kind and articulate. I would hope if anyone I care about ever was taken from me there would be people like that with them.

Buttercup is offline Thrives in sunshine
    Supporting Member Lvl 1
    I could hardly watch the videos. It's a testament to his faith that he can get up every day after suffering such a loss. I hope that he continues to get support long after his tragedy is no longer covered in the news, he's going to need it.

andy_koolkid is offline Rookie
    Verified LEO
    poor guy. the one who did this to him deserves to suffer deeply. there was an incident a few months ago here in new mexico where a family of six was driving home from a soccor game when a drunk drive got in there lane and went head on with them. they were on a interstate road. everyone was killed except for the middle child. i knew the family personally and it was a very sad thing. i wish people had more sense. the driver was coming from the airport, he was already drunk and he bought more alcohol and was like 3 times over the legal limit.

Thread Information