Welcome to the APBWeb.
    Star Man is offline Guns only have two enemies; rust and politicians
    Verified LEO

Hot pink plates for DWI offenders?

Hot pink plates for DWI offenders?

Arkansas proposal would affect anyone convicted three or more times

The Associated Press
    Updated: 6:31 p.m. ET Feb 16, 2007

LITTLE ROCK, Ark. - It'd be easy to spot those convicted of drunken-driven offenses under a measure proposed by one Arkansas lawmaker: Hot pink license plates, starting with the letters DWI, would be issued to repeat offenders.

The proposal, by Rep. Pam Adcock, D-Little Rock, would require anyone convicted three or more times of driving while intoxicated to display the pink DWI license plates on his or her car.

"The DWI license plate shall be a bright pink color that is easily distinguishable from other license plates issued in the state," the bill says.

The bill affects drivers who also are required to have ignition interlock devices installed in their vehicles. Such devices test for alcohol on a driver's breath before the vehicle can be started.

The hot pink DWI plates would be required as long as the ignition interlock device is required, according to the measure.

The bill has been assigned to the House Transportation Committee, which is scheduled to consider it next week.

URL: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/17190887/

I like it. I heard in Wisconsin the Blood Alcohol limit drops each time your convicted. .08 1st time, .06 2nd time, .04 third time etc.... Someone I trained recently said their brother is at an .02 DUI limit now because of so many DUI's there.

Pedro56 is offline Englewood Ranger/Infidel Extraordinaire
    Verified LEO
    That and they should have the breathalizer installed in there car so it won't start if they have drink in them. Then again all they have to do is take another car.
    http://www.lawenforcementforums.com/forums/signaturepics/sigpic763_2.gif

"I am the guy that keeps Mister Dead in his pocket." -'Mad' Max Rockatansky

"An Englewood Ranger is no stranger to Danger.." -Unk

Good Night Chesty Where Ever You Are.

A Good Friend will bail you out of jail, but a true friend will be sitting next to you in the cell saying, "That was Awesome."

God Made Police Men so Fireman Would Have Heroes.

10-42Adam is offline Major
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    I think it's a good idea. Hopefully the embarasment will cause them to lay off the booze for a while...

...but we all know that'll probably never happen...
    Calm Like A Bomb...

A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity. An optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty.
    -Winston Churchill

Willowdared is offline Bendy not Breaky
    I like the idea, but I think they should add a new driver's license too - if for some reason they still had a valid license. Something that is color-coded for whatever terms they drive under.
    Molly Weasley makes Chuck Norris eat his vegetables.

Do not puff, shade, skew, tailor, firm up, stretch, massage,
    or otherwise distort statements of fact.
    FBI Special Agent Coleen Rowley

jdb91 is offline Sheepdog
    The only problem I see is what if a family member is driving the car instead of the drunk? Now you have some MADD vigilante getting into a road rage or DC complaint with someone who has maybe never even had a speeding ticket. Plus, we all know someone on our departments who tend to "make" their own PC for stops or "find" it afterward. With the pink plate you're just begging to be stopped. And you might be stone cold sober and driving straight as an arrow or like I said earlier someone totally uninvolved. Could be a defense attorney's dream in court.

Jackalope is offline Yell O
    How about not letting people with three DUIs drive or own cars at all?
    "I'm not a coward,
    I've just never been tested
    I'd like to think that if I was,
    I would pass"
    ~Mighty Mighty Bosstones~

Star Man is offline Guns only have two enemies; rust and politicians
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by jdb91 View Post
    Plus, we all know someone on our departments who tend to "make" their own PC for stops or "find" it afterward. With the pink plate you're just begging to be stopped. And you might be stone cold sober and driving straight as an arrow or like I said earlier someone totally uninvolved. Could be a defense attorney's dream in court.
    Ethics solves that one. Either you have PC or you don't. If a poor cop is going to make it up then they will make it up pink plate or not.

KSCop is offline Officer First Class
    Verified LEO
    Excellent thought Jackalope!!!!
    "Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass....it's about learning to dance in the rain."

AgentParsons is offline I'm no damn "Bounty Hunter"; I'm a Professional
    If you are diving through certain towns here in RI and a local runs your plates for something to do and sees that your from a neighboring town or across state you are automatically deemed 'suspecious' and stoped so the Officer can ID you.

Even if your just driving in a safe mannor.

I have seen it hundreds of times and have been stopped dozens of times in certian towns and told it was suspicious to them that I was driving through their town; obeying the traffic laws and following a marked traffic detour around a construction zone or going/coming from a case or just visiting a friend.

It don't take a pretty pink plate to give an officer cause to make an investigative stop. Your on his road and thats PC enough in some areas!

I'm not worried you can stop me all you want I have nothing to hide feel free to search my vehicle to your hearts content. But know this when you approach my window my hands will be on the ledge and the first words out of my mouth is 'Greetings Officer. Just so you know I have a holstered XX cal pistol located xxx on my person and I have a CCW. Would you like to take control of it until we complete are transaction" Usually they laugh and ask to see my CCW and don't even bother to check my weapon.

That way there is no surprise when I lean over to my glove box and they see the but of a .40 Berretta sticking out of my waistband or under my arm.

I only had one Officer over react to the situation and he drew his sidearm so fast he dropped it! damn rookies! Most of my encounters have been friendly and for the officers safety as well as my own I politely tell them I am armed so there are no surprises.

Although the Berretta and S&W logos on the back window should be the first sign they are not always noticed right off!

Whoops got off topic a bit.

As far as the plates go I support it 100%; my father would have them as would some of my friends. I learned from doing freelance news video of accidents and my parents DUIs not to drink and drive. If I go out to have a drink there are plenty of neighborhood bars in walking distance to my home.

But a safer less; obvious way would be to place a coding on the DL. This would protect the drivers family from the victim of a DUI fatalities family should they be driving the car in question.

If I remember there was a case not to long ago where the usage of such plate where deemed unconstitutional and the courts deemed them to be cruel and unusual punishment.
    Last edited by AgentParsons; 02-20-07 at 03:49 PM.
    Everybody is entitled to MY opinion!

jmur5074 is offline Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    In MN we have something similar. They aren't color coded, but they start with the letters WR, or WX - followed by 4 numbers.

They're called "whiskey plates" by most.

And the MN Supreme Court has already deemed stopping a car just because they have whiskey plates unconstitutional.
    No one has greater love than this, to lay down ones life for ones friends - John 15:13

"The Wicked Flee When No Man Pursueth: But The Righteous Are Bold As A Lion".

We lucky few, we band of brothers. For he who today sheds his blood with me shall be my brother.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~
    The opinions, beliefs, and ideas expressed in this post are mine, and mine alone. They are NOT the opinions, beliefs, ideas, or policies of my Agency, Police Chief, City Council, or any member of my department.

Just KC is offline Who?......Me?
    I just don't see this happening.
    These people could be targeted for harassment and possibly a target from those that have lost family and friends in drunk-driving accidents. IMO, if you have been convicted 3 or more times (such as this article mentions), then you shouldn't be driving AT ALL!!!! No license, no car, PERIOD! It is a privilege, not a right. Should be anyways!
    ~Karie

"I used to care
    but now I take a pill for that"

213th is offline Solipsist
    Quote Originally Posted by Jackalope View Post
    How about not letting people with three DUIs drive or own cars at all?
    It's a felony here, three DUI's or three refusals to submit to a BrAC or BAC chemical test.
    He who has the money, signs the cheques.
    He who signs the cheques, makes the rules.
    He who makes the rules, has the power.
    He who has the power, has the money.

Thread Information