Welcome to the APBWeb.
    MountainCop Guest

For those of you who think small towns in Colorado are boring...

Alma Residents Given Reverse-911 Call About Gunman
    Deputies Searching For Person In Nearby Roads

POSTED: 5:56 pm MST January 13, 2006
    UPDATED: 7:11 pm MST January 13, 2006

Residents in the small mountain town of Alma are being warned of an armed gunman whom deputies are actively searching for.

A reverse-911 call went out about 5:30 p.m. warning residents about an armed gunman in the woods around town, Park County officials said Friday.

Residents within five miles of Alma are being told to stay inside and lock their doors.

All highways are closed between the top of Hoosier Pass to Fairplay. Alma is about 6 miles north of Fairplay.

There is further information, but as this is an active case, I can't go there.

pmfc is offline ^
    We had a similar situation in the Sierra Nevada foothills here recently. I'm glad they caught the guy. I go up there all the time to get away from the crime in the city.

MountainCop Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by pmfc
    We had a similar situation in the Sierra Nevada foothills here recently. I'm glad they caught the guy. I go up there all the time to get away from the crime in the city.
    Yeah, I know the feeling. But it DOES happen in the small towns. Reinforces my believe that we of the small departments need to be just as trained, if not more so.

MountainCop Guest
    Per the Summit County Daily - it's over.

Park County gunman who fled Friday shot dead by S.W.A.T.

DAILY NEWS STAFF REPORT
    January 14, 2006

A Park County S.W.A.T. team shot dead a man they had been seeking since Friday while serving a search warrant Saturday evening.

Roger Talbert had evaded Park County law enforcement officers Friday after causing a scene at a local government office building, then fleeing into the deep woods with a shotgun when stopped by police.

Saturday, Park County S.W.A.T. was in the process of executing a search warrant at a Placer Valley address on Quartzville Road when they apparently surprised Talbert, who charged one officer and attempted to wrestle his gun from him. Talbert was shot dead at the scene.

Sheriff's officers believe that the house may have been booby trapped, and are investigating the case further with the aid of the Colorado Bureau of Investigation.

Friday, Sheriff's deputies were forced to initiate a reverse-911 to local residents in the immediate area to where Talbot fled with his shotgun. Hoosier Pass was closed for more than two hours.

Thread Information