Welcome to the APBWeb.
    Pedro56 is offline Englewood Ranger/Infidel Extraordinaire
    Verified LEO

Florida the Next California?

Bill would mandate nicer term for illegals

By Bill Cotterell
    news-press.com Tallahassee bureau
    Originally posted on February 27, 2007

TALLAHASSEE -- A state legislator whose district is home to thousands of Caribbean immigrants wants to ban the term "illegal alien" from the state's official documents.

"I personally find the word 'alien' offensive when applied to individuals, especially to children," said Sen. Frederica Wilson, D-Miami. "An alien to me is someone from out of space."

She has introduced a bill providing that: "A state agency or official may not use the term 'illegal alien' in an official document of the state." There would be no penalty for using the words.

In Miami-Dade County, Wilson said, "we don't say 'alien,' we say 'immigrant.'"

She said she encountered the situation when trying to pass a bill allowing children of foreigners to get in-state tuition at colleges and universities. Wilson, who directs a dropout prevention and education program in Miami, said she politely asks witnesses at public hearings on such issues not to use the term.

"There are students in our schools whose parents are trying to become citizens and we shouldn't label them," she said. "They are immigrants, through no fault of their own, not aliens."

Wilson said the first word isn't as bad as the second.

"'Illegal,' I can live with, but I like 'undocumented' better," she said.

Asked if her bill (SB 2154) might run afoul of Gov. Charlie Crist's "plain speaking" mandate for government agencies, Wilson said, "I think getting rid of 'alien' would be plain speaking."
    http://www.lawenforcementforums.com/forums/signaturepics/sigpic763_2.gif

"I am the guy that keeps Mister Dead in his pocket." -'Mad' Max Rockatansky

"An Englewood Ranger is no stranger to Danger.." -Unk

Good Night Chesty Where Ever You Are.

A Good Friend will bail you out of jail, but a true friend will be sitting next to you in the cell saying, "That was Awesome."

God Made Police Men so Fireman Would Have Heroes.

Pedro56 is offline Englewood Ranger/Infidel Extraordinaire
    Verified LEO
    Ok, I am going to rant a bit here. I cannot get state funds for college or any other damn school for my kid. So if I crossed the border illegally, breaking the law, the government would lick my ass and help me pay for my tuition or my kids tuition? Then these fuckers come up here use fake social security cards/numbers by fake Resident Alien cards, all the time when my grand parents, my wife all came over here legally and guess what else they did, they all learned to speak fucking English. They didn't keep speaking German or Polish the spoke fucking English. Yet we have to wast money on printing shit in other languages because we wanna kiss there dish washing asses. The best is the health care aspect of it, I have to pay or they brick my check, but so illegal goes to the hospital, he can't be refused, he gets treated and doesn't pay because there is no billing address or SSN to attach the bill to. I am sorry but I think it is time to take Thomas Jefferson's advice "Every generation needs a new revolution." "When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. " -Thomas Jefferson We need to do something this shit is starting to get rediculous.
    Last edited by Pedro56; 02-28-07 at 11:49 AM.
    http://www.lawenforcementforums.com/forums/signaturepics/sigpic763_2.gif

"I am the guy that keeps Mister Dead in his pocket." -'Mad' Max Rockatansky

"An Englewood Ranger is no stranger to Danger.." -Unk

Good Night Chesty Where Ever You Are.

A Good Friend will bail you out of jail, but a true friend will be sitting next to you in the cell saying, "That was Awesome."

God Made Police Men so Fireman Would Have Heroes.

Piggybank Cop is offline Nobody important.
    A perfect example of hire the handicapped --- shit for brains.
    We are the thin blue line
    between you
    and all the money in the world.

And no you can't have any.

BEB
    BEB is offline Banned
    Banning the word "alien" is Politically Correct nonsense. If people would look at a dictionary once in awhile instead of getting their education from TV shows they might realize alien is being used properly.

As for the in state tuition, whether I agreed with Florida proposal would depend on how it was written. We passed it into law last year with the restrictions 1) the student must have graduated from a Nebraska HS 2) the student must have lived in the state for three years 3) the student must be working towards becoming a US citizen. With those provisions I was in support.

The reality of the situation is the following semester there were no qualified students. It's an option for those willing to work toward it, should there be some.

Gatekeeper is offline Enjoy your stay
    Can I just say something here..."Oh for Fk Sakes!"

countybear is offline BDRT - Baby Daddy Removal Team
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    "'Illegal,' I can live with, but I like 'undocumented' better," she said.
    I think the term 'murder' is far too judgemental... from now on, lets refer to it as 'unauthorized termination of a human lifeform', or better yet, 'human nullification'...

Wouldn't that just make us feel a lot better about things?

Sorry, this brand of nonsense just makes me want to projectile vomit into a smoke ejector...

"The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money."
    - Alexis de Tocqueville, Democracy in America

Tell me not, Sweet, I am unkind,
    That from the nunnery
    Of thy chaste breast and quiet mind
    To war and arms I fly.
    - Lovelace

The opinions expressed by this poster are wholly his own, and should never be construed to even remotely be in representation of his employer, its agencies or assigns. In fact, they probably fail to be in alignment with the opinions of any rational human being.

bayern is offline Officer First Class
    Verified LEO
    Pedro56: Right on. Couldn't agree with you more.

vicat777 is offline Gang Detective/SWAT Sniper
    This is as bad as the liberal democrat senator (name forgotten) who wants to give ILLEGAL ALIENS higher minimum wage pay for working. Which obviously makes no sense whatsoever. It is amazing how liberal politicians fail to recognize the violent crimes committed by the ILLEGAL ALIENS in this country. As a street gang detective in South Florida, our unit has documented so many ILLEGAL ALIENS in our county that could care less about the American way of life. They are here for the narcotics trade and to be violent. A bill like this would only bolster their existence and offer more opportunities for more of them to migrate to the US.

KaiGywer is offline *insert witty remark here*
    Verified LEO
    I could swear I was an alien. Appears my green card simply says "Permanent Resident Card". I'm pretty sure my old one said "Permanent Resident Alien".

Now where's my space ship?
    Alpha Phi Sigma Alum - Alpha Delta Chapter
    ΑΦΣ

Thread Information