Welcome to the APBWeb.
    bird1 is offline Corporal
    Verified LEO

The V.A. Has No Shame

I read this article in newsweek today, and as an Army veteran ( 1990 - 2000 ) this makes me boiling mad. when i got out in 2000 i swore that i would never use any V.A hospital for anything. when the war broke out i knew this crap was going to happen. the V.A. needs to get their heads out there butts and help these vets. click here---> http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/17316437/site/newsweek/
    " The hardest thing about disarming an armed suspect is not slipping on your own shit "

Michael P. Gordon E.O.W 08 Aug 2004

The opinions given in my posts DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are MY PERSONAL OPINIONS and I accept sole responsibility as such.

Willowdared is offline Bendy not Breaky
    I agree Bird1....a million percent.
    Molly Weasley makes Chuck Norris eat his vegetables.

Do not puff, shade, skew, tailor, firm up, stretch, massage,
    or otherwise distort statements of fact.
    FBI Special Agent Coleen Rowley

Jackalope is offline Yell O
    I can't really blame the VA. They're severly underfunded and understaffed. We have plenty of money to give illegal aliens healthcare and build bridges to nowhere in Alaska, but we can only afford one doctor for every 1000 veterans.
    "I'm not a coward,
    I've just never been tested
    I'd like to think that if I was,
    I would pass"
    ~Mighty Mighty Bosstones~

213th is online now Solipsist
    Quote Originally Posted by Jackalope View Post
    I can't really blame the VA. They're severly underfunded and understaffed. We have plenty of money to give illegal aliens healthcare and build bridges to nowhere in Alaska, but we can only afford one doctor for every 1000 veterans.
    Hmm...I am an Alaskan resident...but I'm also in the military...The bridges aren't quite to nowhere, but I'd rather see the funding go elsewhere.
    He who has the money, signs the cheques.
    He who signs the cheques, makes the rules.
    He who makes the rules, has the power.
    He who has the power, has the money.

Jackalope is offline Yell O
    I was referring to a particular bridge that was a proposed pork project in the last budget cycle. I don't remember how much it would have cost, but it was to an island with something like nine people living on it. Somebody figured out it would be cheaper to buy each person on the island a boat and pay for the fuel and maintenance for 100 years. Thankfully, the money for the bridge didn't make it into the budget.

I'm not univerally opposed to bridges in Alaska.
    "I'm not a coward,
    I've just never been tested
    I'd like to think that if I was,
    I would pass"
    ~Mighty Mighty Bosstones~

213th is online now Solipsist
    Quote Originally Posted by Jackalope View Post
    I was referring to a particular bridge that was a proposed pork project in the last budget cycle. I don't remember how much it would have cost, but it was to an island with something like nine people living on it. Somebody figured out it would be cheaper to buy each person on the island a boat and pay for the fuel and maintenance for 100 years. Thankfully, the money for the bridge didn't make it into the budget.

I'm not univerally opposed to bridges in Alaska.
    I'm on the city council here in my town, and I just found out about a new Alaska project called 'adopt a bridge' where when a bridge is taken out of a highway to be replaced with a larger bridge for instance, the old bridge can be sent to places like that. I think it makes sense and can save money.

But, that particular bridge was pointless. But there were a couple other bridges that did make sense, but the one you are referring to would have been a waste of money.
    He who has the money, signs the cheques.
    He who signs the cheques, makes the rules.
    He who makes the rules, has the power.
    He who has the power, has the money.

Beans is offline Street Cop
    Verified LEO
    The VA sucks. As a veteran I can say that. The VA pays on the job benefits for your time in the police academy if you become a cop. I knew nothing of this and when I found out, I sent it in. I was 60 days late and they refused to pay. I appealled it and three years later I finally got a response...no payment!
    I was so pissed, what a way to treat me. I served my country and now my community. I lost out on about $10,000.
    Now that is nothing compared to how our war yets are being treated, but just an example of their BS.
    The opinions given in my posts DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Beans" on LEF.

bird1 is offline Corporal
    Verified LEO
    the problem at the V.A has been going on for years. for the veterans returning from the war the V.A hospital is suppose to take care of their long term health care, and for most vets this is the only health care they have. we're sending billions of dollars to Iraq and you mean to tell me our troops cant get the healthcare they deserve. when the war broke out i'm pretty sure the V.A saw this coming why didn't the head of the V.A march up the hill and demand more funding. everyone wants to play the blame game lets put the blame where it belongs, our goverment. the same goverment who sends our troops into harms way and then does a piss poor job of taking care of them. thanks G.I. sorry that you lost a leg just have a seat and fill out these forms and we'll get to you sooner or later. troops are returning home with broken bodies and broken minds lets get them the help they need, we owe them that. i hate to say this but if the V.A doesn't help these guys especially the ones with mental problems we in law enforcement are the ones who will have to deal with them.
    Last edited by bird1; 03-02-07 at 01:29 PM.
    " The hardest thing about disarming an armed suspect is not slipping on your own shit "

Michael P. Gordon E.O.W 08 Aug 2004

The opinions given in my posts DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are MY PERSONAL OPINIONS and I accept sole responsibility as such.

Rhino is offline Meat-eater & Fire-breather
    Verified LEO
    We don't need to staff and modify the VA. Not when Nancy Pelosi needs a bigger plane, dammit!
    "If everyone is thinking alike, then someone isn't thinking." -Gen. George S. Patton

Boner is offline Veterans Affairs Alcohol Disposal Unit
    As a V.A. employee myself I try to keep neutral on this issue as much as possible. I see both sides of the patient care issues and can usually play the devils advocate on most of it. I see Veterans come here for their first time and get treated poorly by the staff, but I also see them treat the staff poorly. The (some) veterans know that the squeeky wheel gets the grease so they raise their voice and become irrate so they can be treated quicker. And yes, I see employees treat the Vet with no respect. Staff that has no interest in the position that they are in other than getting a pay check. Employees that have never been in the military or can't even speak proper english. Most care, some dont. I see both sides everyday. I am lucky enough to be at a facility that is only ten years old and not infested with rats. In closing, the V.A. is not a bad place, just has a few bad apples that we can't seem to get rid of.
    (U.S. Army Veteran 1994-2006)
    Last edited by Boner; 03-02-07 at 01:31 PM.
    "History will be kind to me for I intend to write it."
    Winston Churchill

I bought a doughnut and they gave me a receipt for the doughnut... I don't need a receipt for the doughnut. I give you money and you give me the doughnut, end of transaction. We don't need to bring ink and paper into this. I can't imagine a scenario that I would have to prove that I bought a doughnut. To some skeptical friend, Don't even act like I didn't buy a doughnut, I've got the documentation right here... It's in my file at home. ...Under "D".

Thread Information