Welcome to the APBWeb.
    Terminator is offline BANNED

Pro-pot man says police pulled him over because of his pro-pot bumper sticker

A pro-pot group alleges that an Aurora police officer pulled over one of its members this week because he had a marijuana legalization sticker on the back of his vehicle.
    Safer Alternative for Enjoyable Recreation, or SAFER - which persuaded Denver voters to legalize adult possession of a small amount of marijuana - alleges the officer told Paul Wansing he was "offended" by the sticker and cited the 25- year-old chef for having a cracked windshield and an air freshener dangling from his rearview mirror.
    The officer, who wasn't identified, allegedly told Wansing that he wouldn't have been cited if he didn't have the sticker on his vehicle and that he didn't want his children to see such "trash."
    SAFER is planning a rally outside Aurora police headquarters today.
    "This is just another case of law enforcement trying to intimidate someone for their political views," said Mason Tvert, who headed up the campaign for the Denver measure.
    Aurora police Sgt. Rudy Herrera said the department would look into Wansing's allegations, and officers eventually would like to interview him.
    Wansing couldn't be reached for comment on Thursday.
    "There is little doubt this same individual would not have been pulled over if his car was displaying a Coors Light logo," Tvert said.
    SAFER was able to get 54 percent of Denver voters to back the initiative on the November ballot that makes it legal for adults to possess up to 1 ounce of pot.
    Denver officers, however, fall back on state law to continue ticketing people possessing small amounts of marijuana, prompting SAFER to pursue a statewide initiative.
    The group needs to collect nearly 68,000 signatures from registered voters by August to get a statewide initiative on next November's ballot.

MisterK is offline Monkey Man
    Was his windshield cracked? Ill bet it was...

So shut your hippie mouth and take a freakin bath.
    Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft. -
    Theodore Roosevelt

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

MountainCop Guest
    I will be the first to admit, the Aurora officer should have kept his mouth shut - and then checked the tires for proper tread depth, used the air freshener as PC to search the car, made sure the seatbelts were operational, look for drug paraphernalia (possession of which is a misdemeanor, versus pot possession, which is a class 1 petty offense), well, you get the idea!

SAFER is a collection of people who think they can accomplish in a few years what NORML couldn't do in 5 decades.

My PERSONAL opinion: You want to smoke bud in your own home, I am NOT going to peek into your windows. Flash it around in public or having it in your car, bringing it to my attention, or drive under the influence, and I will do something about it.

MisterK is offline Monkey Man
    I'll agree with that. He should have kept his mouth shut.
    Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft. -
    Theodore Roosevelt

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

MountainCop Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by MisterK
    I'll agree with that. He should have kept his mouth shut.
    Don't get me wrong - Aurora has some very good cops. Trouble is, they know it. And their attitude frequently gets them in trouble.

Norm357 is offline Corporal
    Supporting Member Lvl 2
    Quote Originally Posted by MountainCop
    I will be the first to admit, the Aurora officer should have kept his mouth shut - and then checked the tires for proper tread depth, used the air freshener as PC to search the car, made sure the seatbelts were operational, look for drug paraphernalia (possession of which is a misdemeanor, versus pot possession, which is a class 1 petty offense), well, you get the idea!

SAFER is a collection of people who think they can accomplish in a few years what NORML couldn't do in 5 decades.

My PERSONAL opinion: You want to smoke bud in your own home, I am NOT going to peek into your windows. Flash it around in public or having it in your car, bringing it to my attention, or drive under the influence, and I will do something about it.

Good post.

MountainCop Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Norm357
    Good post.
    Thanks!

And remember: "Quality is Job something or other..."

BEK
    BEK is offline Lieutenant
    Verified LEO
    I have never seen a pothead rally for anything...i think it will be something like this "dude ummm weeee shhooouuld doooo sooommeeethhhiinngg....yeeeaaa hh mmaann.....whhatt waas iii ssaayyiiinngg....wwooooww mmaann"

Iron Man is offline Don't Tase me bro!
    For all we know the SAFER member is just trying to start something and lied. I would hope an officer would not say that he wouldn't have been cited if he didn't have the sticker on his vehicle and that he didn't want his children to see such "trash."

I could see why the SAFER member would lie to push his own agenda.

Pudge is online now Site Admin
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    I wouldn't sweat the rally if I was them. Chances are it'll never happen.

0800-get up, smoke a joint
    0830-look for something to wear to "Rally"
    0900-smoke a joint
    0915-grab some breakfast, call up other dopers
    0930-meet up with dopers at the 7-11, buy many many slim jims,fritos,cheetos, and some slurpees
    0945-smoke a blunt
    1000-try to remember what they were going to do today
    1030-say fuck it and have everybody bake to the apartment for a Cheech and Chong marathon
    "Like" us on facebook! https://www.facebook.com/pages/Offic...93147194083228

Follow members of O/R as they tweet a "Ride a long" on their shifts on the front page of the site and on twitter at the following links:

www.twitter.com/PoliceRideAlong
    www.twitter.com/lewisipso
    www.twitter.com/ORgopher
    www.twitter.com/SecondChance122
    www.twitter.com/pojmm
    www.twitter.com/ORGIB

The opinions given in my posts & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Pudge" on Officerresource.com

TXCharlie is offline Former & Future Reserve Officer
    My late uncle (a Sheriff's Deputy in Natchez, Mississippi) honed this sort of situation into an art form... After writing up the guy for everything he could find, he'd have greeted him goodbye with the mandatory "have a nice day" and with a big huge grin woulda added something like "nice drug sticker".

(\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
    (")_(") signature to help him gain world domination.

MountainCop Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by BEK320
    I have never seen a pothead rally for anything...i think it will be something like this "dude ummm weeee shhooouuld doooo sooommeeethhhiinngg....yeeeaaa hh mmaann.....whhatt waas iii ssaayyiiinngg....wwooooww mmaann"
    Well said!!!

MountainCop Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by ThisGlock40
    For all we know the SAFER member is just trying to start something and lied. I would hope an officer would not say that he wouldn't have been cited if he didn't have the sticker on his vehicle and that he didn't want his children to see such "trash."

I could see why the SAFER member would lie to push his own agenda.
    Yeah, I genuinely doubt that the officer actually said that. But I wasn't there, so no Monday morning quarterbacking here

Aurora has a really sharp police force. They have to with all the gang problems and the Colfax red-light district running right through the city. Dumb cops don't last long in their department - they weed them out in a hurry.

Iron Man is offline Don't Tase me bro!
    Yeah, I genuinely doubt that the officer actually said that. But I wasn't there, so no Monday morning quarterbacking here

Aurora has a really sharp police force. They have to with all the gang problems and the Colfax red-light district running right through the city. Dumb cops don't last long in their department - they weed them out in a hurry.

MountainCop Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by ThisGlock40
    I thought you'd catch that

Thread Information