Welcome to the APBWeb.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Hawk1 is offline Sheepdog
    Verified LEO

Henry Rollins' anti-terrorism reporting

Found this in the paper today and thought it was funny. I'm a bit of a fan of Mr Rollins (not necessarily his politics). A good example of the world gone mad. Classic Rollins quote..more power to him.

American hard rocker and political activist Henry Rollins says a fellow passenger on his flight out of Auckland reported him to Australian anti-terrorism authorities for reading a scholarly work on the rise of militant Islam.

Rollins, who flew to Melbourne soon after performing at Auckland's Big Day Out on January 20, described the experience in a blog he runs on his own website, henryrollins.com.

Rollins wrote that he received a letter from an Australian government worker informing him that the passenger sitting next to him during the flight reported him to a national security hotline.

The book, Jihad: The Rise Of Militant Islam In Central Asia, by Ahmed Rashid, a New York Times columnist, was published by the Yale University Press.

It canvasses how extreme poverty and religious suppression in the areas surrounding Afghanistan have created a breeding ground for militant Islam.

Rollins wrote that while touring the series of Big Day Out shows across Australia, he was told by a "nice woman" who worked "in one of those government areas that deals with anti-terrorism matters" that he had been dobbed in.

He said the official told him that, though her department did good work, it also received a lot of letters "submitted by lunatics".

"Please tell your government and everyone in your office to go f--- themselves," Rollins replied.

"Tell them twice. If your boss is looking for something to do, you can tell him I suggest he go f--- himself. Baghdad's safer than my hometown and your PM is a sissy."

NZPA
    Last edited by Hawk1; 03-04-07 at 05:14 AM.
    "Contrary to popular belief, you will not rise to the occasion, but will fall to the level of your training"

BEB
    BEB is offline Banned
    I wonder about that guy. Is he anarchist against whoever has authority in the place he is, or does he have core beliefs?

From what I've heard of him, I'm guessing the former. That kind of person isn't much more than annoying.

countybear is offline BDRT - Baby Daddy Removal Team
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Ok, common sense here... with the history of terrorism and airline travel, why would anyone with a shred of intellect read such a book on a plane? How could anyone expect NOT to be reported for reading such a book on a passenger aircraft? Sorry, this guy is either clueless, or he is simply trying to alarm people for the publicity value of it which makes him an opportunistic assclown.

Useless prick...

"The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money."
    - Alexis de Tocqueville, Democracy in America

Tell me not, Sweet, I am unkind,
    That from the nunnery
    Of thy chaste breast and quiet mind
    To war and arms I fly.
    - Lovelace

The opinions expressed by this poster are wholly his own, and should never be construed to even remotely be in representation of his employer, its agencies or assigns. In fact, they probably fail to be in alignment with the opinions of any rational human being.

lewisipso is offline Injustice/Indifference/In God we trust
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    I'm all for the freedom to read what you want. To me it's kinda like suspect attitude adjusting. There's a time and a place for it. In this day and age he's lucky somebody didn't take the book from him and beat him to death with it.
    Do not war for peace. If you must war, war for justice. For without justice there is no peace. -me

We are who we choose to be.

R.I.P. Arielle. 08/20/2010-09/16/2012

Willowdared is offline Bendy not Breaky
    I like Henry Rollins....he bags on everyone, regardless of politics. He reminds me of a punk William Buckley.

As for the book......the only way you can effectively fight any enemy, is to understand why they are the way they are....
    Molly Weasley makes Chuck Norris eat his vegetables.

Do not puff, shade, skew, tailor, firm up, stretch, massage,
    or otherwise distort statements of fact.
    FBI Special Agent Coleen Rowley

Star Man is offline Guns only have two enemies; rust and politicians
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by countybear View Post
    Ok, common sense here... with the history of terrorism and airline travel, why would anyone with a shred of intellect read such a book on a plane? How could anyone expect NOT to be reported for reading such a book on a passenger aircraft? Sorry, this guy is either clueless, or he is simply trying to alarm people for the publicity value of it which makes him an opportunistic assclown.

Useless prick...
    +1 to that........

Rhino is offline Meat-eater & Fire-breather
    Verified LEO
    Yeah, Rollins' should know better than to read those kinds of books on a airplane. It's not like he was in a free country or anything.

I disagree with his politics, too. But that was awesome.
    "If everyone is thinking alike, then someone isn't thinking." -Gen. George S. Patton

Pedro56 is offline Englewood Ranger/Infidel Extraordinaire
    Verified LEO
    You know we should call him a useless prick then we should tell him he can't sing songs anymore and burn his book. I knew another guy who did that as well

are you guys kidding or what? I am actually in the middle of that book right now and it is a good book. If I want to read it on a plane I sure as hell should be able to. Next thing we should do is take everyones guns or make them register them so that the brown shirts can come disarm us like Hitler did. Mr Rollins you sir are my hero.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ut9-hgFbJWs
    Last edited by Pedro56; 03-04-07 at 11:38 AM.
    http://www.lawenforcementforums.com/forums/signaturepics/sigpic763_2.gif

"I am the guy that keeps Mister Dead in his pocket." -'Mad' Max Rockatansky

"An Englewood Ranger is no stranger to Danger.." -Unk

Good Night Chesty Where Ever You Are.

A Good Friend will bail you out of jail, but a true friend will be sitting next to you in the cell saying, "That was Awesome."

God Made Police Men so Fireman Would Have Heroes.

Cst.SB is offline Officer First Class
    Pedro I looked the book up and I'm going to add it to my reading list. Though, the book is titled wrong, "the rise of militant Islam"? Was there ever a time that it wasn't militant? Ah - NO!

Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Mr Rollins you sir are my hero.
    There is a reasonable time and place for everything. The book might be the greatest work of literature since War and Peace, but to openly read it on a passenger airliner when militant Islamists have murdered thousands using hijacked passenger aircraft, and then to thumb his nose and obscenely reply to people who became alarmed by it is completely asinine. Its about akin to sitting in front of the Columbine memorial and reading the Anarchist's Cookbook. Of course, you probably wouldn't see harm in that, either.

To equate my calling him a 'useless prick' for this with my being facist and advocating book burnings is equally as outrageous, ridiculous, and stupid. I believe he has the right to read whatever book he wants to, but I wouldn't like him reading 'Hustler' in an elementary school cafeteria, either. I consider it offensive to be likened to a Nazi, even in a subjective manner. I don't think its facist to be prudent about offending and alarming others during a time when most reasonable human beings are concerned for their safety.

I honestly do not know who Henry Rollins is, nor do I care what his political views are. I do know that were I responsible for security at the airline on which he traveled that day, I would be happier if he chose another to travel with in the future and would make sure that his travel agent crossed mine off his list of options.

His rant at the Australian officials who merely informed him of the complaint is unwarranted and objectionable in my opinion. They took no action against him other than to simply let him know that he alarmed a fellow passenger. For that, the tells them to "go f--- themselves." He being a visitor in that country, I believe he should be far more gracious and a far less offensive.

Arrogance and mindless disregard for peace, order, and security, and brash, obscene contempt for authority are two things that as law enforcement officers we should strongly disagree with. If you don't, perhaps you should seek a different profession. May I suggest radio talkshow host now that Howard Stern's job has been vacated for a while.

As far as heroes go, I'll stick with John Wayne and Ronald Reagan...
    Last edited by countybear; 03-04-07 at 12:45 PM.

"The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money."

That from the nunnery
    To war and arms I fly.
    - Lovelace

The opinions expressed by this poster are wholly his own, and should never be construed to even remotely be in representation of his employer, its agencies or assigns. In fact, they probably fail to be in alignment with the opinions of any rational human being.

Star Man is offline Guns only have two enemies; rust and politicians
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by countybear View Post
    There is a reasonable time and place for everything. The book might be the greatest work of literature since War and Peace, but to openly read it on a passenger airliner when militant Islamists have murdered thousands using hijacked passenger aircraft, and then to thumb his nose and obscenely reply to people who became alarmed by it is completely asinine. Its about akin to sitting in front of the Columbine memorial and reading the Anarchist's Cookbook. Of course, you probably wouldn't see harm in that, either.

To equate my calling him a 'useless prick' for this with my being facist and advocating book burnings is equally as outrageous, ridiculous, and stupid. I believe he has the right to read whatever book he wants to, but I wouldn't like him reading 'Hustler' in an elementary school cafeteria, either. I consider it offensive to be likened to a Nazi, even in a subjective manner. I don't think its facist to be prudent about offending and alarming others during a time when most reasonable human beings are concerned for their safety.

I honestly do not know who Henry Rollins is, nor do I care what his political views are. I do know that were I responsible for security at the airline on which he traveled that day, I would be happier if he chose another to travel with in the future and would make sure that his travel agent crossed mine off his list of options.

His rant at the Australian officials who merely informed him of the complaint is unwarranted and objectionable in my opinion. They took no action against him other than to simply let him know that he alarmed a fellow passenger. For that, the tells them to "go f--- themselves." He being a visitor in that country, I believe he should be far more gracious and a far less offensive.

Arrogance and mindless disregard for peace, order, and security, and brash, obscene contempt for authority are two things that as law enforcement officers we should strongly disagree with. If you don't, perhaps you should seek a different profession. May I suggest radio talkshow host now that Howard Stern's job has been vacated for a while.

As far as heroes go, I'll stick with John Wayne and Ronald Reagan...

Very very well said sir. I think I could not add anything to what you said. You covered the bases.

EDIT:
    You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to countybear again.

Sorry, I thought your response deserved a positive rep but maybe another time..............
    Last edited by Star Man; 03-04-07 at 07:08 PM.

Verified LEO
    I never called anyone a facist. The only thing I was getting at was this, when I was a young Marine at the age of 17 I took an oath to Defend and uphold the Constitution of the United States of America I then took that oath again the day they hung that star on my chest. I refuse to use an excuse like 9/11 to say hey it's a free country except when it comes to you reading that book on a aircraft. Next someone will tell me I can't read a book about WWII because the guy sitting next to me is Jewish. The whole thought of that being ok goes against the whole basis of the Constitution.

A Good Friend will bail you out of jail, but a true friend will be sitting next to you in the cell saying, "That was Awesome."

Rhino is offline Meat-eater & Fire-breather
    Verified LEO
    I think if Countybear wants to impart anymore wisdom on us LEOs, it shouldn't be in public.

Clearly our methods of policing differ. I prefer freedom. He prefers security. I think no more needs to be said.
    "If everyone is thinking alike, then someone isn't thinking." -Gen. George S. Patton

Verified LEO
    I agree with you Rhino, but I will end with this, nobody ever looked at it this way, we would rather just make it go away all together because of what happened (take away an individuals right because someone is paranoid and thinks that the book may lead to bigger things). There is another book I have read, a book that is used by all war colleges today even though it was written in between 515 and 512 BC. It is called The Art of War by Sun Tzu, and in it is something that I learned the first time I read it in High School... "Know your enemy and know yourself; in a hundred battles, you will never be defeated. When you are ignorant of the enemy but know yourself, your chances of winning or losing are equal. If ignorant both of your enemy and of yourself, you are sure to be defeated in every battle." Since I read that though during these times of war that must make me a war monger, and I shouldn't read it again right? I loathe Democrats yet I still read their books, so I can learn how they tick, I hate rap, I hate the Ghetto Thug lifestyle but I watch the movies read the garbage magazines listen to that terrible music from time to time, to learn. I read a magazine called FEDS (Finally Every Dimension of the Streets), it is a little known publication, it is chocked full of info. There was an article in one that had one of the greatest articles on the Gangster Disciple Street gangs that I was shocked, and I know a hell of a lot about the GD's. I also read and re-read books on Stalin, Rommel, Hitler, Patton, Islam, Serial Rapists, Serial Killers, all to learn my enemies. All to learn from mistakes great Generals such as Rommel and Patton made in the past. Next we won't be able to read the newspaper. Here are some headlines from the newspaper.

Statement by Sam Nunn about the Apparent North Korean Nuclear Test -I must be preparing to help NK launch one
    9/11 Families, NTI Launch Campaign to Prevent Nuclear Terrorism; Want to Turn 9/11 Commission's 'D' into an 'A' -I must be reading on how to have another 9/11 involving Nukes
    Nuclear Jihad I am going to start a Nuclear Jihad
    What Every American Needs to Know About Jihad I am converting
    Islam grows fast in the US Boy it must be a good thing I am going to join

I could probably put up 200 headlines, all in the news paper. Since I am reading about it on a plane should I be reported? Makes no sense.

Doc_Holliday is offline California Dreaming...
    Hey Rhino, so you have to be a LEO to get in on this thread huh? I didnt realize that only verifieds had opinions or terrorism and homeland security...or am I misreading your statement and you arent implying this should be done in the verifieds only section?? I for one have no problem with Henry Rollins, never watched his show but have seen him on various new programs. He of course is entitled to his opinions, and yes, he can read whatever he chooses to read. However, no man is an island, and everyones actions have ripple effects. You have to be brain dead to not realize that. There are those who dont give a rats hiney to those ripples, and I assume Mr Rollins is one of those. Again, that is his right. He just has to realize that not everyone out there shares his views, and there may be some.....interactions. Did I miss somewhere in the story where he was locked up, his book was confiscated, and he was set to be reprogrammed in something like a scene from A Clockwork Orange?? No, he was reported, the Australians did theor job by following up on it, and that would have been the ned. Except Mr Rollins isnt John Q Public, he is a talk show host with an audience to feed, so he made this a bigger deal than it had to be. Rollins can be a hero to some because he likes to run his cake hole, me, I prefer to place that honor on people who actually DO something, not just push a bunch of hot air into the system.
    oh, and a side FYI to Pedro, no you didnt type the word fascist, but to post a picture of Hitler in your response speaks a 1000 words more than the few letters in that one word...I mean come on.....writing a letter to an agency and exterminating millions of people? gee, may we have been exagerating for effect just a tad???

Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Constitutionalist arguments are very often used to defend individual rights and are in many cases, appropriate. As this particular situation did not occur in the U.S., I think such an argument is moot, but for lack of a better framework and for the sake of my not knowing Australian law, let's pursue it.

I believe with study, you will find the intent of the founding fathers was two-fold in the authorship of the Bill of Rights to the U.S. Constitution. Those purposes were to safeguard the rights of the individual to be free from undue oppression by the 'State', and to safeguard the rights of society in general from infringement upon the rights of one another. It is where the rights of the individual begin to intrude upon the rights of others that a conflict often occurs. Herein lays the conflict in this particular situation.

I think that you will certainly agree with me that the primary purpose of law (in any form) is to defend the rights of society, both as individuals as well as a whole. Nowhere in the U.S. Constitution is anyone granted the right to infringe upon the 'life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness' of others, without due and proportionate cause. I respect that Mr. Rollins has his right to read whatever he wants to, without intrusion or limitation, so long as his doing so does not affect the peace, morality, safety, and dignity of those who are near him. In a passenger airliner, those near him are compelled to remain there, without means of retreat. The sensitivity caused by the mass murder and act of warfare of September 11th, 2001 is I believe, a reasonable one. Sorry, but people are nervous still about (especially) international air travel, and I believe that they have damned good right to be.

Whilst I ceratinly agree that the events of terrorism worldwide should not specifically be used as an excuse to intrude upon individual civil rights, once again, the societal right to safety and security far outweighs the rights of a single individual. Were this not the case, the 2nd Amendment would apply to commercial airline passengers, would it not? Only the very foolish would deny that we are in turbulent times, in fact, a time of war. Only the foolish fail to remain observant and sensitive to alarm in such times. My comment about being an LEO was perhaps misplaced earlier. As LEO's, I believe that we are most effective when observant and in touch with the people we serve. It is also very essential that we respect the rights of people, both as individuals and as a whole.

When one person flagrantly rebukes us for doing our job, we respond with vigor. Put yourselves in the shoes of the Australian authorities who were told to "f-- off" for simply speaking with Rollins, or the passenger who became alarmed at what he observed, who was called a 'lunatic' for being concerned about it.

Again, its important to note that no action was taken against Mr. Rollins, other than simply informing him of the complaint. I believe that is reasonable and pertinent here. Given your recieving a complaint from someone, even though you believe it to be unreasonable, how would you respond if when you spoke to the other party, you were told to "f-- off" for simply doing your job? It was Mr. Rollins who decided to enhance his pundit status by publicizing the matter and criticizing his fellow passenger and the Australian authorities. The proportion of this incident was not widened by the authorities, but by Rollins himself.

That being said, since when is common decency and respect for others a facist treatise? I teach my children that to be good and moral people, it is crucial to be considerate and take into account the perception of others before speech or action. Mr. Rollins has forgotten a basic lesson in life, that the earth doesn't revolve strictly around him.

I think if Countybear wants to impart anymore wisdom on us LEOs, it shouldn't be in public.
    Censorship is closely related to facism. Don't you agree? I chose to respond to your PM publicly, Rhino. I find your arguments sarchastic and rude, but I respect your point and your right to posess your beliefs.

People disagree, LEO's are people. I don't think a lively discussion of current events is a private, LEO only matter. The terms of service for this forum does not bar us as LEO's from publicly disagreeing with one another, unless I am missing a rule somewhere... If I am, than I do need to be made aware of it. Mods?
    Last edited by countybear; 03-05-07 at 08:20 AM.

That from the nunnery
    To war and arms I fly.
    - Lovelace

Jenna is offline sheep
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pedro56 View Post
    Statement by Sam Nunn about the Apparent North Korean Nuclear Test -I must be preparing to help NK launch one
    9/11 Families, NTI Launch Campaign to Prevent Nuclear Terrorism; Want to Turn 9/11 Commission's 'D' into an 'A' -I must be reading on how to have another 9/11 involving Nukes
    Nuclear Jihad I am going to start a Nuclear Jihad
    What Every American Needs to Know About Jihad I am converting
    Islam grows fast in the US Boy it must be a good thing I am going to join
    Your secrets are out!

This thread confirms Godwin's Rule of Nazi Analogies http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Godwin's_law: "As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Nazis or Hitler approaches one."

Verified LEO
    "Were [a right] to be refused, or to be so shackled by regulations, not necessary for... peace and safety... as to render its use impracticable,... it would then be an injury, of which we should be entitled to demand redress." --Thomas Jefferson

I guess this guy is a crackpot he only was one of our founding fathers and he only wrote The Declaration of Independence. So we are going to use terrorism as a crutch. A crutch to restrict rights. Turbulent times, a war going on, all excuses. (that sir is why you can't read a God damned book on a plane) I do not think every law is out there to protect life and liberty I think there are a lot of laws that are out there to restrict it. Take where I work for example, the City can't take away my 2nd Amendment right but they have restricted it they have banned a majority of weapons and they make me register what I have. The brown shirts did the same, and that was how they disarmed their people. Don't get me wrong I still arrest people who are in violation of the state law but I will not charge people with the city law due to the fact it is wrong. If you think this government is working for the people of the United States you are wrong. Every day there is more and more sheep that say oh it is ok to restrict rights on the err of safety. That is ridiculous. In your eyes I guess we should all be good sheep and follow everything to the tee? The thought of restricting what book some one reads because of "the times" we live in is ludicrous.

Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    I think we are beating a dead horse... so I will end with this.

Patriotism is not facism.

This is a great nation, and you still elect your leaders.

If you believe the ACLU/liberalism crap about black helicopters circling your house, perhaps you should move somewhere else, have nothing to hide, or see a shrink about paranoia.

No one gives a rat's rectum about what Rollins wants to read, so long as he does it without creating panic around him.

I don't think its ethical as a LEO to only enforce laws that I personally agree with, but to each his own.

I will not respond any further to this thread. Have at me.

That from the nunnery
    To war and arms I fly.
    - Lovelace

Verified LEO
    Who says I believe in ACLU crap? Never said patriotism is fascism. I love my country I just think there are some problems with it that need to be ironed out. Who ever said I was paranoid? Make stabs at me saying I need to see a shrink and then not want to reply no more is typical, cut and run. I made my insult I can't think of any more valid points so I will refuse to reply. How can reading a book create panic, I think it creates panic in the minds of the uneducated. I enforce laws, there are laws I don't agree with, oh well, I don't agree with my city, I choose to charge people with the state statutes instead of city ones (discretion anyone? I know some fail to use it because they only see black and white), I am still enforcing the laws. I am not going to tear into you why would I, is it wrong for someone to have differing opinions? I am not scared as some are by people with differing opinions, I won't call someone paranoid, or a dinosaur, or anything else just because their opinion differs from mine. I know people that are different are scary, but there were a few different guys way back when that decided to break some colonies from the UK and formed what we live in today. How many people called them weird and so on back then? The scared sheep did.
    Last edited by Pedro56; 03-05-07 at 10:25 AM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information