Resident Smart Ass is offline I ASK THE QUESTIONS AROUND HERE
    Verified LEO

Angry Jersey police see red over Payne's wearing of the green honor

Jersey police see red over Payne's wearing of the green honor
    St. Pat's parade dedication is opposed over lawmaker's vote on a cop-killer
    Thursday, March 01, 2007
    BY GUY STERLING
    Star-Ledger Staff
    A decision to dedicate this year's St. Patrick's Day parade in Newark to Rep. Donald Payne (D-10th Dist.) is drawing fire from police officers across New Jersey, who are angry the congressman refused to take a stand against convicted cop-killer Mumia Abu-Jamal in a recent vote in Washington.

The head of the Fraternal Order of Police has written a letter to the general chairman of the parade asking its organizers to reconsider the selection of Payne, but they are standing behind their decision.

"The law enforcement community is infuriated that Donald Payne is being honored," wrote Edward Brannigan, grand marshal of the Newark parade in 2004 and president of the FOP in New Jersey, an organization that represents 18,000 retired and active officers.

Payne said he was aware of the controversy, but intends to march in the parade on March 18.

He maintained no one has a better record supporting police officers -- from securing funds to put more cops on the street to talking with children about the perils of crime -- than he does.

"I'm disappointed in this after all my years of support for law enforcement," said Payne in a telephone interview yesterday from Washington, D.C. "To have a rap like this is politics. ... It's an unfair shot at an organization that I've followed since I was a kid."

The case of Abu-Jamal, convicted in 1981 of killing Philadelphia policeman Daniel Faulkner CLICK HERE FOR OFFICER FAULKNER STORY, has long swirled with controversy. Supporters, who say he never received a fair trial, have protested when public officials attack him; police groups routinely vilify public officials who lend his cause any support.

Payne was one of 31 congressmen who voted against a House resolution on Dec. 6 condemning a city in France for naming a street after Abu-Jamal, a decision Brannigan said amounted to a "direct slap in the face of every law enforcement officer." The resolution denouncing St. Denis, a suburb of Paris, passed with 368 votes.

Payne, a member of the House Foreign Relations committee, said he voted against the Abu-Jamal condemnation because he didn't think it was appropriate for the U.S. Congress to interject itself in a matter in which it has no business.

"I would be totally outraged if the French Parliament told us not to name a street after someone we wanted," he said.

Payne said he considers Abu-Jamal no different than any other criminal defendant, deserving of complete access to the courts for a final resolution of his case.

Thomas Giblin, a former general chairman and grand marshal of the parade, said officials would likely stick with Payne, as he has been a longtime supporter of Irish issues and a friend to the Irish community in New Jersey. The congressman has marched in the Newark parade many times, he added.

Giblin said he considered the attack on Payne to be unfair. But Brannigan and other police officials said their members would likely boycott the parade if the honor is not rescinded.

"He (Abu-Jamal) committed a violent act against Daniel Faulkner, his family and every law enforcement officer in the country," said Derrick Hatcher, president of Newark's FOP Lodge No. 12, a group with a membership of 1,200.

Brannigan maintained the parade should be dedicated "to an Irishman or woman who has the reputation and admiration of the Irish people."

The largely ceremonial practice of dedicating the parade began around 1981. Giblin said the honor is reserved for organizations or individuals who haven't been or cannot be grand marshal or deputy grand marshal, a position held by a person of Irish descent.

Payne, 72, said he has been a supporter of Irish-American causes since his days as a student at Seton Hall University, primarily because he drew parallels between the struggles of the Irish and those of African-Americans.

For many years, Payne said, he marched in Northern Ireland on behalf of the discriminated Irish population. Gerry Adams, spokesman for the Irish republican movement, asked Payne to introduce him when he spoke at Seton Hall a few years ago, the congressman said.

"I'm sorry to see this taking place, but this is strictly a law enforcement issue and has nothing to do with our organization," said Sean O'Neill, a former president of the Ironbound Irish-American Association in Newark.
    Don't you just hate it when someone's balls are hidden so well, they can't seem to find it themselves ~ RSA

You can't avoid gossip & rude words from
    people. You can't please everybody. But remember, they wouldn't bother if you meant nothing.

FOLLOW RSA ON TWITTER (IF YOU'RE GOING TO FOLLOW ME, PLEASE SEND ME A MESSAGE ON HERE WITH YOUR O/R USERNAME AND TWEET USERNAME SO I'LL KNOW WHO I'M ACCEPTING OTHERWISE YOU WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED!)
    https://twitter.com/RESIDENTSMARTAS

A PINT OF SWEAT SAVES A GALLON OF BLOOD ~ PATTON

Star Man is offline Guns only have two enemies; rust and politicians
    Verified LEO
    Usual 2 faced garbage that politicians are famous for..... Politicians are only 1 rung above the level of solid waste in my book....... Even lawyers rank higher.

Dom70 is offline Rookie

Thumbs up Wearing of the Green is too good for Payne

Shame on the Organizers of the Newark Saint Patrick's Day March!
    Didn't someone there realize that the honoree of the parade was one of the people that voted against a resolution condemning the naming of a street after a "Cop Killer?"
    Mr. Donald M. Payne is not the first choice of any red blooded police officer, who has any feelings for a brother officer killed in the line of duty.
    Mr. (and I use that term loosely) Payne actually spit on and slapped the face of every decent Police Officer out there serving the public. Mr. Payne appears to have sanctioned the death, execution style of Officer Daniel Faulkner, whether he has come out with it publicly or whether he has approved an honorarium for Mumia Abu-Jamal's by naming a street after him.
    Saint Patrick's Day is a holy day to all of us. For Irish American Police Officers it is a day to celebrate and a day for all other police officers of different ethnic backgrounds to respect. How in "God's 'name can we respect a parade that headlines and highlights the likes of Mr. Donald M. Payne a supporter of a Degenerate Cop Killer?
    How do you sleep at night Mr. Payne? Doesn't it bother you that you and the Hollywood Liberal leftists support and openly praise this Cop Killer Mumia Abu-Jamal? Your cohorts have even gone out and secured money for his defense fund. What a sham.
    As sick as it sounds it is the truth, and as sick as it sounds to all police officers, retired or still working, you and Jamal should spend some time together in a cell just to see what kind of individual you are backing and hoping to either build a monument to or name a street after or even name a kid after (some hero).
    Shame on you Saint Patrick's Parade committee and shame on you again Mr. Donald M. Payne.
    Long live the memory of Officer Daniel Faulkner may he rest in peace.
    May Mumia Abu-Jamal spend the rest of his rotten life behind bars, because that is where an animal like he belongs.
    I could just see the citizens of Lodi New Jersey renaming a street after Thomas Trantino or using him as the Grand Marshall in an Italian American Parade. That would be joke, a bad one at that.
    Respectfully submitted
    Dominick A. D'Onofrio
    Retired Chief Lodi PD
    Lodi NJ
    Last edited by Dom70; 08-15-07 at 04:29 PM. Reason: misspelled words

countybear is offline BDRT - Baby Daddy Removal Team
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Payne said he considers Abu-Jamal no different than any other criminal defendant, deserving of complete access to the courts for a final resolution of his case.
    Then he is deserving of an injection into his arm which immediately acts to stop his heart and sends his immortal soul into eternal torment, thus preventing him from wasting good, clean, breathable air here on earth any longer.

Mr. Payne should be exiled from the United States and forcefully relocated to St. Denis, where he can join Amnesty International and send juicy love letters (in French, of course) to Al Sharpton.

This is perhaps the worst mockery of the American criminal justice system in history. It saddens me that justice seemingly cannot be done for the sake of Daniel Faulkner's memory, and his surviving family.

Pennsylvanians, hang your heads in shame. America, weep bitterly, for those to carry the torch of your justice are choked and castrated. They are completely impotent and devoid of honor, decency, and dignity. That this man Jamal yet lives, is testament to the shame of American (In)Justice.

"The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money."
    - Alexis de Tocqueville, Democracy in America

Tell me not, Sweet, I am unkind,
    That from the nunnery
    Of thy chaste breast and quiet mind
    To war and arms I fly.
    - Lovelace

The opinions expressed by this poster are wholly his own, and should never be construed to even remotely be in representation of his employer, its agencies or assigns. In fact, they probably fail to be in alignment with the opinions of any rational human being.

Thread Information