Welcome to the APBWeb.
    BEB
    BEB is offline Banned

EU leaders to make Europe change lightbulbs (You're next)

Thank You! You politicians are so wonderful! Why if you hadn't jumped out in front of this issue to take credit just as the market is changing on its own we wouldn't know who to applaud!

Miserable toads.

Meanwhile, what about the applications where the energy efficient bulbs don't work worth a damn? For example, garage lights, porch lights, especially when its cold out? Are we going to have snitch lines set up to enforce these new laws? "911, what's your emergency?"

Bulb busts to catch smugglers? Today Europe, yesterday Australia, and Kalifornia already has a law in the works.

http://www.reuters.com/article/gover...9?pageNumber=2

EU leaders to make Europe change lightbulbs
    By Paul Taylor

BRUSSELS (Reuters) - European homes, offices and streets will have to use energy-efficient lighting by the end of the decade, EU leaders decided on Friday.

The decision to order a massive switchover that will affect the lives of all the European Union's 490 million citizens came at a summit of the 27-nation bloc as part of an ambitious green energy policy to fight climate change.

German Chancellor Angela Merkel, who chaired the summit, told a news conference: "We're not saying people should throw out all the bulbs in their house today but people should start looking at what's in the shops.

"Most of the light bulbs in my flat are energy-saving bulbs. They're not yet quite bright enough. When I'm looking for something I've dropped on the carpet, I have a bit of a problem," she joked.

The leaders asked the executive European Commission to come up with proposals for saving power in office and street lighting by 2008 and in homes by 2009.

The decision, hailed by environmental campaigners, is a potential business opportunity for manufacturers such as Philips and Siemens-owned Osram but risks stirring Eurosceptical complaints about EU meddling in citizens' lives.

The summit set a target of increasing energy efficiency to save 20 percent of the EU's energy consumption by 2020 compared to projected use.

"The European Council ... invites the Commission to rapidly submit proposals to enable increased energy efficiency requirements for office and street lighting to be adopted by 2008 and on incandescent lamps and other forms of lighting in private households by 2009," the final statement said.

Incandescent lamps are traditional lightbulbs which use a filament. They are inefficient compared with new fluorescent lights and other alternatives.

Australia last month said it will be the world's first country to ban incandescent lightbulbs in a bid to curb greenhouse gas emissions, announcing it would phase them out within three years.

"We are very impressed by the Australians and before we came to the summit, we had already been in touch with them and looking at the issue. We support this scheme and hope to take it on," Irish Prime Minister Bertie Ahern said.

The European decision prompted a flurry of jokes including this from a British BBC radio reporter: "How many EU leaders does it take to change a lightbulb. Answer: 27."

Jenna is offline sheep
    Premium Lifetime Member
    How many Europeans does it take to change a lightbulb?

Piggybank Cop is offline Nobody important.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenna View Post
    How many Europeans does it take to change a lightbulb?
    "490 million"

Anything else?
    We are the thin blue line
    between you
    and all the money in the world.

And no you can't have any.

Jackalope is offline Yell O
    I think one of the legislators in Kalifornia proposed banning the sale of incandescent bulbs. I'm really glad that the governments of Europe and Kalifornia have solved all of their other problems, so they can focus on legislating every bit of their subjects' lives.
    "I'm not a coward,
    I've just never been tested
    I'd like to think that if I was,
    I would pass"
    ~Mighty Mighty Bosstones~

Thread Information