Welcome to the APBWeb.
    BEB
    BEB is offline Banned

Marijuana Odor Didn't Justify Search Without a Warrant

http://www.ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=971161

Marijuana Odor Didn't Justify Search Without a Warrant

SALT LAKE CITY (AP) -- The odor of burning marijuana didn't justify a search of a central Utah trailer without a warrant, the Utah Supreme Court said Friday.

Police officers broke through the door of a trailer in Carbon County in April 2003 because they believed the suspects were eliminating evidence by smoking it. The court, however, said there was no sign that Bernadette Duran knew authorities were around.

"Most significantly, there is no indication that the law enforcement officers engaged in any effort, much less a reasonable one, to reconcile their ... needs with the demands of personal privacy," the court said in a 4-1 decision.

The Supreme Court upheld a ruling by the Utah Court of Appeals. The case originated with a judge in 7th District Court in Price, who had refused to throw out evidence. Police seized guns and drugs.

"Oh, hallelujah," Duran's attorney, Samuel B. Bailey, said. "This is good news."

Duran and three other defendants pleaded guilty to drug charges, although her conviction was conditional and thrown out after the appeals court declared the seizure illegal, Bailey said.

He had feared the Supreme Court would rule against Duran, giving police more authority and diminishing privacy rights.

The ruling "will change things," Bailey predicted. "They pay attention, officers do. They read the case law and they know when they get overturned."

The dissenter on Utah's highest court was Associate Chief Justice Michael Wilkins, who said "this was not a close call" that would require a search warrant.

"Protecting the rights of citizens does not necessarily require the handcuffing of police," he wrote.

The Utah Attorney General's Office, which took the case to the Supreme Court, did not return a phone call seeking comment.

In the decision written by Justice Ronald Nehring, the majority expressed concern that police might feel empowered to enter a house to check if minors were drinking alcohol or search an 18-year-old for cigarettes, both without warrants.

countybear is offline BDRT - Baby Daddy Removal Team
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Ah.. the old 'slippery slope' fallacy, Utah Supreme Court style...

These incompetents...

In the decision written by Justice Ronald Nehring, the majority expressed concern that police might feel empowered to enter a house to check if minors were drinking alcohol or search an 18-year-old for cigarettes, both without warrants.
    In other words.. if we tell police its ok to do their job, they just might do too much of their job...

"The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money."
    - Alexis de Tocqueville, Democracy in America

Tell me not, Sweet, I am unkind,
    That from the nunnery
    Of thy chaste breast and quiet mind
    To war and arms I fly.
    - Lovelace

The opinions expressed by this poster are wholly his own, and should never be construed to even remotely be in representation of his employer, its agencies or assigns. In fact, they probably fail to be in alignment with the opinions of any rational human being.

BEK
    BEK is offline Lieutenant
    Verified LEO
    So now smells, arnt valid, next will be just cause you saw him growing pot dont give you enough reason I mean its not like cops are hortaculturalist and can tell the difference between a Marijuana plant and a fern.
    Next on a traffic stop smelling an alcoholic beverage isnt enough to pull out the driver
    I hope this kinda thing dosent make it across the other states cause the ruling is just stupid.
    What I do know is case if i was an officer in the field and smelt burning marijuana in a car or a house I would make sure to detain the party, write my warrant and call the initial judge at 3 am. I would make sure to do that 5 or 6 times a month.

Piggybank Cop is offline Nobody important.
    And don't forget; just because he is holding the smoking gun.....

We are the thin blue line
    between you
    and all the money in the world.

And no you can't have any.

lewisipso is offline Injustice/Indifference/In God we trust
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by BEK320 View Post
    I hope this kinda thing dosent make it across the other states cause the ruling is just stupid.
    What I do know is case if i was an officer in the field and smelt burning marijuana in a car or a house I would make sure to detain the party, write my warrant and call the initial judge at 3 am. I would make sure to do that 5 or 6 times a month.
    Roger that!
    Do not war for peace. If you must war, war for justice. For without justice there is no peace. -me

We are who we choose to be.

R.I.P. Arielle. 08/20/2010-09/16/2012

JLK
    JLK is offline Protecting Those That Can't Protect Themselves
    Verified LEO
    did not say anything about cars. (mobile) . along those lines can you force entry into a home to get a dui driver. all that aside don't need case law here we have the admin. and the city powers that be that don't like too much policing. just my own thinking.

"A strong man stands up for himself. A stronger man stands up for others."
    Ben

The old sheriff was attending an awards dinner when a lady commented
    on his wearing his sidearm. "Sheriff, I see you have your pistol. Are you
    expecting trouble?" "No Ma'am. If I were expecting trouble, I would have
    brought my rifle."
    (just stole this one hope you don't mind)

The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they are ignorant,
    it is just that they know so much that isn't so.
    President Ronald Reagan

BEK
    BEK is offline Lieutenant
    Verified LEO
    every time I ever catch something like that and I get up on the stand and the defense attorney asks me why I did what I did I look them right in the eye and say "Cuz Im the PO LICE and that just how I roll" The attorneys ALWAYS back down cuz they feel my flava. Thats how I know that kinda ruling wouldnt happen here

conalabu is offline Grasshopper
    Verified LEO
    Utah Supreme Court. 'Nuff said.
    And Shepards we shall be,
    for thee, My Lord, for thee,
    Power hath descended forth from Thy hand,
    That our feet may swiftly carry out Thy Command.
    So we shall flow a river forth to Thee
    And teeming with souls will it ever be.
    In Nomine Patris, Et Filli, Et Spiritus Sancti.

TXCharlie is offline Former & Future Reserve Officer
    We were just talking about that in class the other day... Knock on the door of a loud party, say "please turn your stereo down", smell marijuana, and there's your PC to walk in to see what's going on.

Luckily what happens in Utah stays in Utah and doesn't affect Texas

(\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
    (")_(") signature to help him gain world domination.

Thread Information