Welcome to the APBWeb.
    Star Man is offline Guns only have two enemies; rust and politicians
    Verified LEO

Angry Dog's head left on owner's doorstep

Dog's head left on owner's doorstep
    Minnesota police investigate pet’s beheading; humane society offers reward

The Associated Press
    Updated: 2:09 p.m. ET March 15, 2007

ST. PAUL, Minn. - A 17-year-old girl who spent weeks looking for her missing dog unwrapped a box left on her doorstep and found the pet’s severed head inside, authorities said.

Homicide investigators were looking into the case because of the “implied” terroristic threat, St. Paul Police Sgt. Jim Gray said. The Humane Society of the United States said Wednesday it was offering a reward of up to $2,500 for information leading to an arrest and conviction.

“This was extraordinarily heinous,” said Dale Bartlett, the Humane Society’s deputy manager for animal cruelty issues. “I deal with hundreds and hundreds of cruelty cases each year. When I read about this case, it took my breath away. It’s horrible.”

After Crystal Brown’s 4-year-old Australian shepherd, Chevy, mix wandered away last month, she put up “missing” posters in her neighborhood and went door to door looking for him. She called the St. Paul animal shelter and rode the bus there several times.

“I felt empty,” Crystal told the Star Tribune of Minneapolis. “I couldn’t talk to anyone. He was my dog. It was just me and him. ... I told him everything and he never shared any of my secrets.”

'One sick, twisted person'
    Two weeks ago, a gift-wrapped box was left at the house Crystal shares with her grandmother. The box had batteries on top, and a note that said "Congratulations Crystal. This side up. Batteries included."

Crystal opened the box and found her dog's head inside. The box also contained Valentine's Day candy.

Crystal screamed when she saw her dog’s face.

“She was just hysterical,” said Crystal’s grandmother, Shirley Brown. “She was screaming. She said, ’Grandma, it’s my dog’s head!’

“I said, ‘no it can’t be!”’

Authorities say the case is an isolated incident and the suspect likely knew the family. A motive is unclear.

“This was so cruel,” Crystal said. “This is one sick, twisted person.”

She now has a new puppy, another Australian shepherd. She’s named it Diesel.

“Hopefully, he’ll be my best friend,” Crystal said.

URL: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/17627063/

gozling is offline the gene pool could use a little chlorine
    that is one sick and twisted mo...fu...er....

omg
    http://www.allpoetry.com/Grunts%20Girl

We dallied under
    Vine maples and sapling alders
    Searched for lady slippers
    But instead
    Found blackberry riots and
    Desiccated branches

An old skid road
    Brought ghost ferns and
    Hollows filled with
    Skunk cabbage
    While waves wrapped
    Intricate lacings of weeds
    'Round mule spinners

His cyanotic eyes
    Were hard enough to make
    The sun turn tail and
    Tender enough to attract me
    To his world of illusion

KaiGywer is online now *insert witty remark here*
    Verified LEO
    That's so fucked up! I feel bad for the poor girl
    Alpha Phi Sigma Alum - Alpha Delta Chapter
    ΑΦΣ

Ducky is offline Enforcer General
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Sadly, this isn't as uncommon as it sounds. People throw dead animals on other people's cars and porches all the time. This is only particularly sick and twisted in that it was gift wrapped and reminds me of the final scene in the movie "Seven".
    \\
    ` ` ` ` < ` )___/\
    `` ` ` ` (3--(____)
    "...but to forget your duck, of course, means you're really screwed." - Gary Larson
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtN1YnoL46Q

BEB
    BEB is offline Banned
    UPDATE

Hope the case is air tight. As well as the cell they put him in.

http://www.startribune.com/467/story/1074034.html

Suspect's arrest eases fears of girl whose dog was beheaded
    An arrest and overwhelming kindness from around the world have brought relief and hope to a St. Paul girl.

By Mary Lynn Smith, Star Tribune

Crystal Brown hopes that her nightmares will stop now that St. Paul police have arrested the man they believe decapitated her therapy dog and left its head in a gift box on her doorstep.

On Thursday, police recovered evidence that connects the man to the crime, Sgt. Jim Gray said. "He admitted to being there [when the dog was beheaded]," Gray said.

The suspect, 24, was jailed Thursday on suspicion of making terroristic threats. The Star Tribune isn't using his name because he hasn't yet been charged; that may happen as early as today and could include animal cruelty charges as well.

"I think I can sleep a lot better now," Crystal, 17, said Thursday night. "It will make me feel way safer. Now we can walk around the whole block."

For three weeks, Crystal and her grandmother, Shirley Brown, have lived in fear of the suspect, who lives in the Rice Street-area neighborhood.

Police also are investigating whether others were involved in the crime, which has generated national media attention and an outpouring of sympathy for Crystal in the form of cards, checks and gifts from people around the world.

A world turned upside down

Crystal was devastated last month when Chevy, her 4-year-old Australian shepherd mix, left the house and couldn't be found. She considered the brown-eyed dog her best friend, and leaned on him for comfort and support.

Two weeks after Chevy disappeared, a gift box arrived at the front door addressed to Crystal. Inside, she found valentine candy scattered about and a garbage bag containing Chevy's head.

The suspect is a man whom Crystal had once befriended.

"He really has no one," she said. "He has no friends. I felt sorry for him."

He wanted Crystal to be his girlfriend. But she didn't want that, she said.

The family immediately suspected him in Chevy's killing. "I didn't know what he would do next," Shirley Brown said. "I wanted to stay awake in case someone came in."

Chevy's body was found in a park, and homicide investigators took on the case because of the implied threat against Crystal. She said she was more scared for her new puppy than for herself.

But she said that she tired of the ache inside as she lay in bed each night, imagining what Chevy's last moments were like.

"That dog was her heart and soul," said Shirley Brown. "She's never related to people. She's been so hurt by others ... Her father abandoned her. Her mother has had problems with drugs."

Said Crystal: "I was always the delinquent child that nobody wanted or liked. I didn't have friends. I lived in a tough neighborhood. I really didn't want to be a tough person. But I made my own problems."

Crystal went through a drug phase, and has been diagnosed with depression. She has bipolar disorder and attention deficit disorder, her grandmother said. Crystal "had so many problems that people didn't want her around," Shirley Brown said. "She just needed a push in the right direction and a firm hand."

And Crystal needed Chevy.

"He and I had a lot of history together," Crystal said. "He listened. And he never stopped listening."

Losing Chevy turned her world inside out. Life was harsh; people seemed cruel.

The touch of humanity

But sitting at the kitchen table this week, Crystal opened stacks of cards, letters and gifts sent from people around the world.

The story was covered on radio and TV and in newspapers across the country. The TV show "America's Most Wanted" posted the case on its website, the first time in recent memory that it had featured a crime against a dog.

"It was cruel and beyond the unusual," said Christopher Brown, the show's managing editor. And anyone capable of such a crime might easily turn next time to people, he said.

A $2,500 reward offered by the Humane Society of the United States quickly mushroomed with donations, growing to $20,000.

"This by far was the biggest response to a reward that we've initiated," said Dale Bartlett, the Humane Society's deputy manager for animal cruelty issues.

Reading the letters and opening packages sent from people around the country and from as far as Australia -- heartfelt notes, photos of pets, dog toys and treats, gift cards and checks -- Crystal and Shirley Brown were touched by the kindness of strangers.

"I don't think everybody is bad anymore," Crystal said. "This is so amazing. ... It makes me feel inspired. People can make a difference."

Ducky is offline Enforcer General
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Glad they got him. What a sick
    \\
    ` ` ` ` < ` )___/\
    `` ` ` ` (3--(____)
    "...but to forget your duck, of course, means you're really screwed." - Gary Larson
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtN1YnoL46Q

Thread Information