Thread: More Cameras

Pedro56 is offline Englewood Ranger/Infidel Extraordinaire
    Verified LEO

Thumbs down More Cameras

More squad cars to get cameras
    City to spend $2.2 mil. to equip 280 vehicles for traffic stops

March 16, 2007
    BY FRAN SPIELMAN City Hall Reporter
    Another 280 Chicago Police squad cars will be equipped with video cameras -- for $2.2 million -- expanding an experiment that began with allegations that a sergeant mistreated state Sen. James Meeks.

The 280 cameras will bring to 310 the number installed in squad cars to record traffic stops. That's enough to equip a beat car in every one of the city's police beats.

At a news conference at McCormick Place that followed a police graduation ceremony, Mayor Daley said he hopes to find the money to equip the rest of the police fleet "as quickly as possible."

The Police Department has 1,773 marked cars and 1,354 unmarked vehicles. The 30-car pilot program that started last fall was confined to marked cars patrolling Lake Shore Drive, the Chicago Skyway, the Northwest Side's Jefferson Park District and the Far South Side's Pullman District, where Meeks said he was a victim of racial profiling in July 2005.

Used as evidence in 10 cases
    The sergeant was reprimanded for using foul language. Meek's chauffeur paid a fine for traffic violations.

Each squad car is equipped with two cameras that can either be activated manually or automatically when emergency lights are turned on. One camera records anyone in the back seat. The other is mounted on the windshield and faces forward. The officer carries a microphone the size of a beeper that records sounds within 1,000 feet of the vehicle. Real-time audio and video can be transmitted back to the district station.

Already, the cameras have provided evidence in 10 court cases, including video of a Christmas Day hit-and-run that was shown to reporters Thursday and prompted a guilty plea.

Squad car cameras are widely viewed as a deterrent against police misconduct, but it's a two-way street. They also shield honest, professional officers from unwarranted citizen complaints, Daley said.

'They know the camera's on'
    "A lot of police officers do a tremendous job and they get C.R. numbers [complaints registered]. The complainant never shows up, so it's unfounded. You say, 'Gee, he had 25 unfounded C.R. numbers. What's wrong with him?' There's nothing wrong with him. If we had this [camera system], we'll prove it," Daley said.

Like a head football coach who cleans up his act on the sidelines while wearing a microphone, the cameras may also prompt police officers to be more polite and avoid profanity.

"They should be doing that anyway, but now they know the camera's on," said Police Supt. Phil Cline.

But Daley warned, "When you're stopping a car at 2 o'clock in the morning, I don't care who you are. It's very frightening. . . . They can't go up there just smiling and happy. These are very serious situations."

<fspielman@suntimes.com
    http://www.lawenforcementforums.com/forums/signaturepics/sigpic763_2.gif

"I am the guy that keeps Mister Dead in his pocket." -'Mad' Max Rockatansky

"An Englewood Ranger is no stranger to Danger.." -Unk

Good Night Chesty Where Ever You Are.

A Good Friend will bail you out of jail, but a true friend will be sitting next to you in the cell saying, "That was Awesome."

God Made Police Men so Fireman Would Have Heroes.

Verified LEO
    -Rant start
    I could think of 10 million other things to spend that money on instead of cameras to please some ghetto minister/senator. My car is Computerless as well as every car on our 18 man team because there aren't enough. My "new" car has 83K on it, may not sound like a lot but that is 83k of hard city driving. My last car had 175k, it finally died. Our stations are deplorable the equipment we have in the stations is as well. Our office is equipped with 3 1999 HP computers. That blow. We have 18 men on the team and if more than one car has an arrest it takes forever because there isn't enough. Our stations have roaches the size of hummers. The pissers backed up, overflowed into the locker room and out into the hall the other day. We need cameras though. Yes we need cameras so that we don't bad talk to the "fine" citizens of the ghettos, because that is the only places these cameras are. -Rant over

A Good Friend will bail you out of jail, but a true friend will be sitting next to you in the cell saying, "That was Awesome."

Star Man is offline Guns only have two enemies; rust and politicians
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Pedro56 View Post
    -Rant start
    I could think of 10 million other things to spend that money on instead of cameras to please some ghetto minister/senator. My car is Computerless as well as every car on our 18 man team because there aren't enough. My "new" car has 83K on it, may not sound like a lot but that is 83k of hard city driving. My last car had 175k, it finally died. Our stations are deplorable the equipment we have in the stations is as well. Our office is equipped with 3 1999 HP computers. That blow. We have 18 men on the team and if more than one car has an arrest it takes forever because there isn't enough. Our stations have roaches the size of hummers. The pissers backed up, overflowed into the locker room and out into the hall the other day. We need cameras though. Yes we need cameras so that we don't bad talk to the "fine" citizens of the ghettos, because that is the only places these cameras are. -Rant over

+1, what a fuhking waste of money.

gozling is offline the gene pool could use a little chlorine
    double +1
    http://www.allpoetry.com/Grunts%20Girl

We dallied under
    Vine maples and sapling alders
    Searched for lady slippers
    But instead
    Found blackberry riots and
    Desiccated branches

An old skid road
    Brought ghost ferns and
    Hollows filled with
    Skunk cabbage
    While waves wrapped
    Intricate lacings of weeds
    'Round mule spinners

His cyanotic eyes
    Were hard enough to make
    The sun turn tail and
    Tender enough to attract me
    To his world of illusion

Rhino is offline Meat-eater & Fire-breather
    Verified LEO
    I don't see what the big deal is. Cameras help us make good cases, and as long as you don't do anything wrong, you don't have anything to worry about.
    "If everyone is thinking alike, then someone isn't thinking." -Gen. George S. Patton

bird1 is offline Corporal
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhino View Post
    I don't see what the big deal is. Cameras help us make good cases, and as long as you don't do anything wrong, you don't have anything to worry about.
    the thing is our city is ass backwards. instead of providing us with updated equipment i.e. new cars, new radios, new computers, and new p.d.t's. they are spending money on stuff we dont need right now. i'm all for cameras in the cars they are a great tool. the city is just buying these cameras to please some state senator who thought he could talk his way out of a ticket for his driver/bodyguard.
    " The hardest thing about disarming an armed suspect is not slipping on your own shit "

Michael P. Gordon E.O.W 08 Aug 2004

The opinions given in my posts DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are MY PERSONAL OPINIONS and I accept sole responsibility as such.

121Traffic is offline Just Us
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by bird1 View Post
    the thing is our city is ass backwards. instead of providing us with updated equipment i.e. new cars, new radios, new computers, and new p.d.t's. they are spending money on stuff we dont need right now. i'm all for cameras in the cars they are a great tool. the city is just buying these cameras to please some state senator who thought he could talk his way out of a ticket for his driver/bodyguard.

+1...I feel for you guys. I grew up in Chicago, up north near Broadway and Hawthorne, then later near North and Wells. While I enjoyed the city, my hat's off to the cops that work a beat in some of Chicago's rough areas...Cabrini and near Cominsky come to mind. You guys need more cops and better equipment, not cams.
    "If anything worthwhile comes of this tragedy, it should be the realization by every citizen that often the only thing that stands between them and losing everything they hold dear... is the man wearing a badge." -- Ronald Reagan, in the wake of the deaths of 4 CHP troopers in the Newhall Incident, 1970

The opinions given in my posts DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "121Traffic" on O/R.

10-42Adam is offline Major
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    I think the cameras are a good thing, however after hearing what you guys have said already it really seems like other things should be bought with that money first...
    Calm Like A Bomb...

A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity. An optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty.
    -Winston Churchill

Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by 121Traffic View Post
    +1...I feel for you guys. I grew up in Chicago, up north near Broadway and Hawthorne, then later near North and Wells. While I enjoyed the city, my hat's off to the cops that work a beat in some of Chicago's rough areas...Cabrini and near Cominsky come to mind. You guys need more cops and better equipment, not cams.
    Lol, Thanks for the compliment, but I it must be awhile since you have been here, around Comiskey is almost all Bridgeport deigo Yuppy, and Cabrini has maybe 2 buildings left. As far as Cameras go, most of our policies are very restrictive, with the cameras they will screw the little guy more. These cameras can see back as well, so here it goes, wanna read the paper? Thats a spar, and they have you on camera, wanna doze while your partner eats lunch? Thats a spar and they have you on camera. "Just Following the offender in the car" "Only going 35 Squad", now its on camera, thats a day or 2.I am anti Camera, and will remain that way.

Star Man is offline Guns only have two enemies; rust and politicians
    Verified LEO
    It's just big brother, and the fact that they only put them in the hood makes it seem like reverse racism in my opinion.

121Traffic is offline Just Us
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Pedro56 View Post
    Lol, Thanks for the compliment, but I it must be awhile since you have been here, around Comiskey is almost all Bridgeport deigo Yuppy, and Cabrini has maybe 2 buildings left. As far as Cameras go, most of our policies are very restrictive, with the cameras they will screw the little guy more. These cameras can see back as well, so here it goes, wanna read the paper? Thats a spar, and they have you on camera, wanna doze while your partner eats lunch? Thats a spar and they have you on camera. "Just Following the offender in the car" "Only going 35 Squad", now its on camera, thats a day or 2.I am anti Camera, and will remain that way.
    Hahahaha really? I went to military school when I was 14, and came home on breaks, etc., but we lived in NW suburban outskirts. Near Lincolnwood. That was 11 years ago.
    "If anything worthwhile comes of this tragedy, it should be the realization by every citizen that often the only thing that stands between them and losing everything they hold dear... is the man wearing a badge." -- Ronald Reagan, in the wake of the deaths of 4 CHP troopers in the Newhall Incident, 1970

The opinions given in my posts DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "121Traffic" on O/R.

keith720 is offline Finely Aged
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    We have cameras in all of our squads and I have no problem with them. It seems that the priorities of the C.P.D. are messed up. If the rest of your equipment is crappy, and in disrepair, that should be a priority. Giving you a good place to work should be a priority. More cops on the street should be a priority. Supporting the cops on the street should be THE priority.
    For the morning will come. Brightly will it shine on the brave and true, kindly upon all who suffer for the cause, glorious upon the tombs of heroes. Thus will shine the dawn.

Winston Churchill

Thread Information